Jbo...

You know what have been even more classier? Lying and say that he genuinely missed it.

Seriously though, I agree with Gold. Chris wouldn't have wanted him to do that.
I have a notion that if it was Locure doing that gesture, it would be the greatest thing in Hawkeye history. Your an Idiot!

I have a notion that if it was Locure doing that gesture, it would be the greatest thing in Hawkeye history. Your an Idiot!

I could go around and "like" a post like this, just like TK does to anyone who calls me out...but ya see, I'm a bigger person. :).... Yeah, I'm pretty awesome.... and TK, that hurts my snow flake feelings when you do that.

I do agree with him tho, Chris would have wanted Jordan to beat his record.

giphy.gif

I can see it both ways.

I'm sure no one would have thought any less of JBo for making #35, and Chris would have wanted him to make it rather than miss on purpose. Just the competitor that he was. He would have expected his competitors and teammates to go for it, I have to believe.

On the other hand, just pure class on JBo's part to not pass the record, and honoring #40's legacy.

They both made 34 straight, so Street and Bohannon share the record. Seems fitting to me.

This story really sucked the negativity out of me. I feel really peaceful this morning.

Ditto. I'll get back to being negative after the season is over LOL. This morning is a time for reverence to #40 and the FT record, and giving props to JBo for being such a classy guy.

In the post game interview on the court he said if the situation were different he would have made it. In as many words.

The season ended long ago, the odds of NW closing the gap was very small.

CS was one of my favorite Hawkeyes. I know he's one of everyone's favorites, but it does always bring up a memory for me. I was a freshman in high school when it happened. It was the pinnacle point of my Hawkeye hoops fandom. The twilight time. I was in awe of everything Hawkeye. When it happened, the next day I went to school with #40 FOREVER written on my sneakers. I was sad and wanted to honor him. I lived in small town SW Iowa. Everyone knew of the news. The tragedy. My school was FULL of kids who were Hawkeye fans and who had parents who were Hawkeye fans.

What I will always remember is this... the fucking kids in my school made fun of me for it. I wasn't a geek, I wasn't a loser, had more girlfriends then I could handle - I was fairly popular, I played FB, BB, track and Baseball. ... and those fucking losers made fun of me and Chris Street when I did that. They made fun of the #40, they made fun of the fact he died by getting hit by a snow plow... they made fun of my Hawkeye fandom.

Every time I think of Chris, I think of that and I also think of all the losers who were nasty to me.

Every time I think of Chris, I think of that and I also think of all the losers who were nasty to me.
Sorry you went through that. Kids can be jerks and it doesn't take much to get the ball rolling. The hive mind and peer pressure are strong. The kids that were routinely bullies in my HS are largely leading dead-end lives based on what I see on Facebook. Sometimes kids grow out of small mindedness and sometimes they don't. When they don't, karma is usually a bitch.

The best part of him missing is it keeps people talking about Chris. Someday, someone will approach that record again. When they do, every game you will hear about Chris Street again. If Bohannon makes that free throw, that dies. Imagine the next kid who shoots 35. He will have a ton of pressure to do the same. Hopefully the situation allows it.

CS was one of my favorite Hawkeyes. I know he's one of everyone's favorites, but it does always bring up a memory for me. I was a freshman in high school when it happened. It was the pinnacle point of my Hawkeye hoops fandom. The twilight time. I was in awe of everything Hawkeye. When it happened, the next day I went to school with #40 FOREVER written on my sneakers. I was sad and wanted to honor him. I lived in small town SW Iowa. Everyone knew of the news. The tragedy. My school was FULL of kids who were Hawkeye fans and who had parents who were Hawkeye fans.

What I will always remember is this... the fucking kids in my school made fun of me for it. I wasn't a geek, I wasn't a loser, had more girlfriends then I could handle - I was fairly popular, I played FB, BB, track and Baseball. ... and those fucking losers made fun of me and Chris Street when I did that. They made fun of the #40, they made fun of the fact he died by getting hit by a snow plow... they made fun of my Hawkeye fandom.

Dude wtf? What a stupid story. Not on your end, on their end. Who were these stupid kids and what were they thinking? I agree with NoBeer that kids are mean. But what a stupid way to be mean.

All it takes is for a couple kids to start, and everyone else will follow. I wonder if the couple kids who started it were just jealous they didn't think of it.

Dude wtf? What a stupid story. Not on your end, on their end. Who were these stupid kids and what were they thinking? I agree with NoBeer that kids are mean. But what a stupid way to be mean.

All it takes is for a couple kids to start, and everyone else will follow. I wonder if the couple kids who started it were just jealous they didn't think of it.

I don't know man... I just know that it's something that always stuck with me. The 2 main culprits never left my home town of 1000 and are absolute giant adult losers now. One in trouble with cops all the time, one just a alcoholic POS that can't hold a job. So, yeah, Karma I guess. I also think that kids these days, are actually brought up better and differently. I can't imagine it happening in today's world...but who knows. Just a F'd up story I will always relate to with Chris.

One thing good about the sissy way kids are raised now is they are nicer to people. You see the videos of as autistic kid making a shot in basketball and both crowds going nuts and wonder if that kid gets made fun of at school 25 years ago. There is a lot of wrong about the way kids are being raised now. But that is one good thing.

When JBo shot and missed it last night, I immediately groaned for him. The thought of him missing it on purpose didn't even cross my mind. Then the notion was suggested by the commentators, and I had mixed emotions. Since then I thought more about it and CMS never got the opportunity to shoot #35, which makes Jordan's decision that much more classy. The crappy part is that, had he made it, people would have been bitching about that too. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I also think the record would be more OK to break if Chris had shot 34 and then missed. But he died with the streak active.
This is exactly what I was just going to post. Given that Chris's streak was active at the time of his death, I am perfectly okay with Jordan missing the shot. That just seems right.

In a way, it's almost like conceding the fact that the record could have been all but unreachable if Chris hadn't suddenly passed.

I knew some kids like that when I was in early HS. One is now missing a tooth and I have a scar just below one of my left knuckles...

When JBo shot and missed it last night, I immediately groaned for him. The thought of him missing it on purpose didn't even cross my mind. Then the notion was suggested by the commentators, and I had mixed emotions. Since then I thought more about it and CMS never got the opportunity to shoot #35, which makes Jordan's decision that much more classy. The crappy part is that, had he made it, people would have been bitching about that too. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

You're right that people would have bitched if he made it, but I've seen 2 people say it was wrong to miss it, and they weren't even addamint about it. When 95% of the population love the gesture, he's not "damned".

He did the right thing under the right circumstances. Good for him and I have new appreciation for him. Cannot believe anyone given an 8 point lead would question it. But so many on here have been very critical of him it does not surprise me. Good for JB!

Latest posts