JBo is thinking about coming back next year

....and for the record, I never stated that I think Jo Bo should have just shut up and dribbled, so I hope GoodCo is not referring to me. I merely was getting sick of the bitching about certain things, but also recognize that he also probably was in search of certain podcast content.

I don't care what student athletes have going on outside of the team, except if it interferes with their performance. There is a question if this did happen with Jordan, as both his 3 pt shooting % and probably FT % declined from his Fresh/Soph years to his Jun/Sen years. Now, he had a terrific FT % so one has to put that into perspective that maybe it could only really go down.

In addition, I think we also have to put into perspective his hip issues and recovery and can't just presume he was completely distracted. I'm sure the injuries played a part.

I don't think it is fair to state that he was significantly distracted by this outside political stuff. I am also not sure one can blame everything on his physical condition. I think it as a mixture of both.

That's why I stated in my post above that I would take him for another year, IF HIS HEAD WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE! This to increase his consistency. This proves I'm not in the "shut up and dribble" group.
I wasn't speaking to you - I feel a lot of what everyone has said, but I just hate the fact that people think humans aren't capable of doing many great things and not just 1 thing. Ya know? Like, Jordan's a student, an athlete, a podcast host, a NIL advocate, a son, a brother. Do you think he should spend less time with his brothers because they can be a distraction during the season? I mean, they go to every game, I bet they spend time away from the court, just doing WHATEVER they want, when he should be in the gym practicing. Maybe Jordan should just concentrate on playing basketball rather than being a brother ya know, cause basketball is all that matters to us fans.

Schools stand to earn a lot of revenue from this as well. I am talking about NIL, which is all Jbo is talking about as well. If they can earn money off their name locally, guess who else is going to get a cut? The university he represents. This is an untapped revenue stream that's literally good for everyone and isn't going to take a dollar out of anyone's pocket unless it's an entity that wants to pay a student athlete for their NIL.

Jordan being an advocate of NIL, IMO, shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing and I kind of find it funny that people do. Every single person in the world can make money off themselves. It's un American to tell them they can't, yet also tell them they can't work any other job while under scholarship. They aren't asking to be paid, they are asking to be able to brand themselves, which IMO, the school should be helping them with cause it's a great life skill and again, they stand to get rich off that as well. More money for everyone. Who loses?
I completely agree with all of this, including the part of him being an advocate not being a bad thing. I think it's a good thing....Ling term. I think it probably hurt this year a little bit and probably hurt his career a bit more. I'm sure he would do it all over again too. I bet he's a middle aged man before he looks back and admits it effected his work ethic a bit.

Also, 8 other states are paying players for NIL. Can Jordan grad transfer for his last year or how does this bonus season work?

If I was a D1 athlete, I'd only consider going to school in one of those 8 states. Iowa has got to get on this or we're gonna further the have and have nots in college sports.

What Jordan is fighting for is a plus for the U of I

I wasn't speaking to you - I feel a lot of what everyone has said, but I just hate the fact that people think humans aren't capable of doing many great things and not just 1 thing. Ya know? Like, Jordan's a student, an athlete, a podcast host, a NIL advocate, a son, a brother. Do you think he should spend less time with his brothers because they can be a distraction during the season? I mean, they go to every game, I bet they spend time away from the court, just doing WHATEVER they want, when he should be in the gym practicing. Maybe Jordan should just concentrate on playing basketball rather than being a brother ya know, cause basketball is all that matters to us fans.
For me it's not about time spent doing other things. It's about mindset. He's obviously has a pretty jaded mindset of how players get treated.

For me it's not about time spent doing other things. It's about mindset. He's obviously has a pretty jaded mindset of how players get treated.
I don't really blame him though, sounds like this season put a pretty big scope on how shitty it really is. They sacrificed their entire lives to make things work this season for the school, us fans and the NCAA. You carry that on your back for a few years and see how you feel about how grateful you should be for the opportunity.

I don't really blame him though, sounds like this season put a pretty big scope on how shitty it really is. They sacrificed their entire lives to make things work this season for the school, us fans and the NCAA. You carry that on your back for a few years and see how you feel about how grateful you should be for the opportunity.
Not a single player sacrificed for their school, their fans, or the NCAA. Every sacrifice they made was for them and their teammates. We did reap the benefit tho.

If you want to know where my head is at, here's a question. Do you wish every Iowa player worked as hard as Luka? Assuming your answer is yes, now think about how happy you are that Luka worked that hard and how little you care that other players don't work that hard. Now picture me thinking exactly what you are and you will know where my mind is.

Not a single player sacrificed for their school, their fans, or the NCAA. Every sacrifice they made was for them and their teammates. We did reap the benefit tho.

lol, so Iowa players staying in a bubble with no real contact outside of their social circle since late October wasn't a sacrifice? Missing thanksgiving and xmas with the family - no sacrifice. They got that scholarship, shut up and play. Hey, you can't go out to eat or go to the bars, ya know like all your other friends are doing right now...ya know, so the fans can watch basketball and school and the NCAA can get their millions but it's not a sacrifice they are putting in front of everything else in their lives to happen. Come on man.

If you want to know where my head is at, here's a question. Do you wish every Iowa player worked as hard as Luka? Assuming your answer is yes, now think about how happy you are that Luka worked that hard and how little you care that other players don't work that hard. Now picture me thinking exactly what you are and you will know where my mind is.
I feel like most players worked as hard as Luka. I don't think he works harder than Jordan. I don't he works harder than Joe? I don't think he worked harder than Uthoff. Jok? Nope. White? Not really. Can that even be measured? I think his dad tapes his work outs and started branding him without the use of NIL to help his sons draft status. All those dudes work hard - I don't think Luka worked harder.

lol, so Iowa players staying in a bubble with no real contact outside of their social circle since late October wasn't a sacrifice? Missing thanksgiving and xmas with the family - no sacrifice. They got that scholarship, shut up and play. Hey, you can't go out to eat or go to the bars, ya know like all your other friends are doing right now...ya know, so the fans can watch basketball and school and the NCAA can get their millions but it's not a sacrifice they are putting in front of everything else in their lives to happen. Come on man.
You misread my post. Yes the sacrificed. They just didn't do it for the people you mentioned. They never had the conversation "hey, you want to go to the bar tonight? Nah I don't want to let the NCAA down". You're kidding yourself if you think players stayed home so we could watch.

Not that it really matters who they sacrificed for. I've just seen a lot of people say they sacrificed for fans and it kinda cracks me up that people think they did it for us.

I feel like most players worked as hard as Luka. I don't think he works harder than Jordan. I don't he works harder than Joe? I don't think he worked harder than Uthoff. Jok? Nope. White? Not really. Can that even be measured? I think his dad tapes his work outs and started branding him without the use of NIL to help his sons draft status. All those dudes work hard - I don't think Luka worked harder.
Luka has talked about going to the gym by himself all the time and Megan G was always the only other person in there. You really think all players practice the same amount?

Luka has talked about going to the gym by himself all the time and Megan G was always the only other person in there. You really think all players practice the same amount?
No I said that it's kind of hard to measure that. Didn't Aaron White get locked inside Carver one night? Cause he was just working so hard? Was that Uthoff? It was some one. I bet they worked hard. I bet Mike G worked hard. Woody probably put in a lot of work. Moss worked pretty hard I am sure. I am not sure we can just say, well, Luka won POTY so he worked the hardest. I mean, I heard that one story that one time about the kid getting locked in at Carver, just kind of like I saw the same 5 video's of Luka's workout.

No I said that it's kind of hard to measure that. Didn't Aaron White get locked inside Carver one night? Cause he was just working so hard? Was that Uthoff? It was some one. I bet they worked hard. I bet Mike G worked hard. Woody probably put in a lot of work. Moss worked pretty hard I am sure. I am not sure we can just say, well, Luka won POTY so he worked the hardest. I mean, I heard that one story that one time about the kid getting locked in at Carver, just kind of like I saw the same 5 video's of Luka's workout.
I would say reading quotes the Fran saying he's never had a player work as hard as Luka helps me think Luka works harder than most. I'm actually really surprised someone is pushing back on the "Luka works harder than most" argument. I kinda figured that one was universally accepted as fact.

I would say reading quotes the Fran saying he's never had a player work as hard as Luka helps me think Luka works harder than most. I'm actually really surprised someone is pushing back on the "Luka works harder than most" argument. I kinda figured that one was universally accepted as fact.
Yeah, I just don’t know how to quantify that. But I do know that there have been a number of accounts of a lot of other Hawkeyes who have “worked really hard” to over the years. I imagine that if we dug into it, Fran likely says “No one works harder than” like 5 times a season when talking about a player and that’s every season

Did Luka work harder than a guy who had to rehab back from 2 hip surgeries? I don't know. I don't know how to measure that, but by a lot of accounts, Jordan had to work really hard to get into playing shape for this year. I bet Fran would say that Jordan worked his ass off. But the fans know he was off being a brother and a podcaster instead most of the time he should have been practicing.

Yeah, I just don’t know how to quantify that. But I do know that there have been a number of accounts of a lot of other Hawkeyes who have “worked really hard” to over the years. I imagine that if we dug into it, Fran likely says “No one works harder than” like 5 times a season when talking about a player and that’s every season
The reason there are a lot of examples is because there is a hardest worker on every single team. Sure there might be years where a couple guys kinda tie for hardest working. But most of the time it's kinda obvious who the hardest worker is. I would bet a lot of money that Luka was the hardest worker this year. I would have also bet a lot of money that no one would take me up on that bet and I'm wrong there I guess. :)

Did Luka work harder than a guy who had to rehab back from 2 hip surgeries? I don't know. I don't know how to measure that, but by a lot of accounts, Jordan had to work really hard to get into playing shape for this year. I bet Fran would say that Jordan worked his ass off. But the fans know he was off being a brother and a podcaster instead most of the time he should have been practicing.
Don't forget fortnight.

The reason there are a lot of examples is because there is a hardest worker on every single team. Sure there might be years where a couple guys kinda tie for hardest working. But most of the time it's kinda obvious who the hardest worker is. I would bet a lot of money that Luka was the hardest worker this year. I would have also bet a lot of money that no one would take me up on that bet and I'm wrong there I guess. :)
I wouldn't argue that, Luka was a really hard worker. I didn't say Luka wasnt a hard worker. I said it's kind of hard to measure and a lot of times that is hyperbole and coach speak. I can't say that he worked harder than Jordan. But Fran said it and his dad posted videos of his work out. What if Jordan's dad did the same for him? Would you feel like he worked harder? Do you think Jordan's dad thinks he didn't work hard? I honestly don't know that. I feel like it wouldn't be hard to find a quote where Fran raved about how hard Jordan worked this year, even with having a podcast and brothers and fortnight and every thing else as a distraction when he should have been practicing his D skills

I wouldn't argue that, Luka was a really hard worker. I didn't say Luka wasnt a hard worker. I said it's kind of hard to measure and a lot of times that is hyperbole and coach speak. I can't say that he worked harder than Jordan. But Fran said it and his dad posted videos of his work out. What if Jordan's dad did the same for him? Would you feel like he worked harder? Do you think Jordan's dad thinks he didn't work hard? I honestly don't know that. I feel like it wouldn't be hard to find a quote where Fran raved about how hard Jordan worked this year, even with having a podcast and brothers and fortnight and every thing else as a distraction when he should have been practicing his D skills
Do you agree that the more you spread yourself thin, the less likely you will be great at one thing? Sure you don't HAVE to only do basketball just because you are on scholarship. But the great ones that don't have elite talent are great because they dedicate themselves more than the other guys.

I know if I played college ball, I would go to the bars and play video games. It's hard to have the drive to constantly try to improve.

Right now I feel like maybe you're arguing stuff that you don't even believe. Your a musician right? Do you think if you quit doing other stuff you like to do and dedicated all of that time to getting better at playing, you would improve? Of course you would. You are probably dedicated to being a good musician. But you aren't dedicated enough to be even better. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people aren't 100% dedicated to one thing. The thing about Jordan is he makes it known to the public that he's not 100% dedicated. That's also fine. But it opens the door to criticism. I'm not one that's criticizing tho. I'm just saying as a fan I wish he was more dedicated for my own personal benefit of watching.

I hope you don't take the musician part wrong. It's not meant to be a put down at all. I just know I have quite a few things in my life I wish I was better at. I'm not for two reasons. One is I spread myself too thin. The other is I don't have the drive it takes to get to the next level.

Latest posts