James Vandenberg vs Jake Christensen through Seven Games

I think these things happened with KOK too. I always thought the offense was conservative under KOK, somehow it has been even more so with Davis.

My point is Iowa has never been a deep threat team. Sure we take shots, but to imply Vandy is out of his element because Iowa changed offensive philosophies when Davis came on board as OC is a stretch.

Vandy's strong suit has always been working off of play-action. There's not nearly as much of that going downfield as there used to be, or at least it doesn't appear to be. Stanzi was the same way. He was most effective going deep off of play action. This isn't the same offense that KOK ran, at least not in the passing game.

You should take into account that these 7 games for JVB are in a new offense system.

If you could can you make another post comparing JC 7 games Vs. JVB 7 games when they played in the same offense and had multiply years to learn and get comfortable with the offense. The new offesne and the short time to learn and change from what he knew is a big variable.

You should take into account that these 7 games for JVB are in a new offense system.

If you could can you make another post comparing JC 7 games Vs. JVB 7 games when they played in the same offense and had multiply years to learn and get comfortable with the offense. The new offesne and the short time to learn and change from what he knew is a big variable.

How about this, let's compare McGloin's stats 7 games into a new offensive system with JVB's stats 7 games into a new offensive system. Both of them are seniors and JVB was the consensus better pure passer returning in the B1G. So, why the huge disparity in stats? Oh, and by the way, McGloin lost his security blanket in Silas Redd and his best go to receiver in Justin Brown right before the start of fall camp. That makes this staff and JVB look even worse in comparison.

There were some of you comparing the two earlier this season, and I discounted it. Perhaps my memory of Jake is just too negatively clouded by how effective I thought he would be, which didn't turn out that way.

Marc Morehouse tweeted this a bit ago:

Wow. Pretty staggering.

EDIT: I decided to look up the numbers myself...what Marc was emailed was very close, but not quite exactly accurate. I pulled up my old 2007 Iowa Cume stats through seven games and here is what the numbers are:

JC: 217-121 (55.8%) 11TD, 2INT 1,334 yards, rating of 122.8
JVB: 231-129 (55.8%) 3TD, 5INT 1,323 yards, rating of 103.9

Also, here is the national rankings of the 2007 offense for its 12 game season vs where Iowa is right now through just seven games. I suspect many of Iowa's rankings will get worse than they are now. 2007 is on left, Iowa's current 2012 season on right:

Screen-Shot-2012-10-22-at-11.09.11-AM.png

One of the things 2007 had going against it was the offensive line; that was a shaky group and Jake Christensen was sacked more than all but a handful of quarterbacks in the NCAA that year; Iowa allowed 46 sacks. This year through seven games, they've allowed just 11 through seven games, on pace to allow just 19 in 12 games.

In 2007 and through seven games, Iowa was averaging 6.1 yards per pass attempt and 11.0 per completion. This year through seven games they are averaging 5.7 yards per pass attempt and 10.3 yards per completion...with eight fewer touchdown passes and two more interceptions as a team (5 this year, just 3 through seven games in 2007 and two for Jake Christensen).

I just cannot believe these numbers, given that Vandenberg entered this year with 14 career starts and Jake entered the 2007 season having been the backup to Drew Tate, and even Jason Manson started the game for Iowa against Syracuse in 2006 when Tate was injured.

And given all of this, Iowa may one of of just a few schools in the nation who hasn't had their backup play one snap. Not one.

In the six Ferentz era years where iowa has won eight or more games they had either a rush or score defense in the national Top 10. There's the formula. Without that, no shot. That's way too many eggs being put into one basket.

How pathetic is JVB? Those numbers are for Jake's first seven games as a starter. In contrast, JVB's numbers are for starts sixteen through twenty-two. JVB had 15 starts prior to this year. All thirteen games last year plus Ohio State & Minnesota in '09.

How about this, let's compare McGloin's stats 7 games into a new offensive system with JVB's stats 7 games into a new offensive system. Both of them are seniors and JVB was the consensus better pure passer returning in the B1G. So, why the huge disparity in stats? Oh, and by the way, McGloin lost his security blanket in Silas Redd and his best go to receiver in Justin Brown right before the start of fall camp. That makes this staff and JVB look even worse in comparison.
This is a great comparison. So, either VDB has regressed, or the OC is to blame. KF needs to make a call in fairness to the other team members.

Wasn't it last year that everyone thought Rudock was the heir apparent and that is why he moved past Weinke and Derby moved to LB

To say that he now is a turnover machine is grasping at straws unless Jon wants to vouch for that accuracy of statement

Something needs to be changed.

The fact that our backup got no reps in the last game is beyond ridiculous

The TD number is what is mind blowing. To think if we had the 11 TDs from the QB this year, we would probably be undefeated.

And JC had a terrible offensive line so he atleast he had a real reason to be jumpy. Vandenburgs offensive line up untill Scherff wen't down was not at all a problem.

The problem is vandenburg. He cannot remain calm enough to decide if a receiver is open or not on most plays, he just throws it to get rid of it and on the off chance his receiver is open he freaks out and throws a bullet when all thats necessary is a simple toss.

Latest posts