James Vandenberg vs Jake Christensen through Seven Games

Yes, because that's when they were both first year starters. But it's just not a fair comparison because Jake had O'Keefe and James doesn't. Heck, compare James' numbers when he had O'Keefe. O'Keefe is an NFL caliber assistant, Davis got fired from Texas. End of story.

What is frightening about this, whether or not you were being serious, is that there could be something to it.

Yes, because that's when they were both first year starters. But it's just not a fair comparison because Jake had O'Keefe and James doesn't. Heck, compare James' numbers when he had O'Keefe. O'Keefe is an NFL caliber assistant, Davis got fired from Texas. End of story.

Yes, thank you, that was exactly the point I was making.

After taking some time to think about this the past day or so, I've come to the conclusion that the reason we aren't seeing another QB come in and relieve JVC is that Sokol is actually ahead of Rudock and they don't want to burn his 'shirt this year and waste a year.

In the 6 Ferentz era yrs where iowa has won 8 or more games they had either a rush or score defense in national Top 10. There's the formula. Without that, no shot. That's way too many eggs being out in one basket

After taking some time to think about this the past day or so, I've come to the conclusion that the reason we aren't seeing another QB come in and relieve JVC is that Sokol is actually ahead of Rudock and they don't want to burn his 'shirt this year and waste a year.

I think this is a district possibility and that right now Rudock may be turning it over too much in practice to play. So by not playing Sokol they may actually already be thinking of next year. But Kirk will never say that if it were true

If that's true, then the entire offensive coaching staff and head coach should be fired. We are still in the division race, but have no shot with James under center. That's no different than the a$$inine thinking of the Nationals to shut down SS to save him for some unknown future. If Sokol can do the job then pull his redshirt and get his a$$ out on the field pronto. We still have 3 games left against NW, Mich and Neb along with 2 other winnable games against Ind and PU. But none of those games are winnable with a QB that has lost all confidence on the field.

This season is damn near mirroring 2007. James and Jake look identical. A crappy season opener barely beating NIU in Chi-town. Losing to an inept ISU team. Losing to a directional Michigan team. Beating MSU in overtime.

Comical really.

Then Iowa should win this week.

No need to pull a red-shirt, that is not determined until after the season. By playing Sokol, it just means they cant apply the red-shirt to this season for him.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Bret Bielema, but at least he had the stones to recognize that one of his new coaches was not working out and canned him after a couple of weeks. And they've improved ever since. Unfortunately, our guy takes forever to make any decisions and I think this is also reflected in his clock management. Davis has clearly made the offense worse this year. How long does he have to keep proving that he isn't right for this job?

This season is damn near mirroring 2007. James and Jake look identical. A crappy season opener barely beating NIU in Chi-town. Losing to an inept ISU team. Losing to a directional Michigan team. Beating MSU in overtime.

Comical really.

Is identical? How did you come up with identical from those statsl??

Are any of the QB's on Iowa's roster suited for a Greg Davis offense? They all are drop back passers and that isn't what Davis runs. Even with the control over the offense that Ferentz has, this offense has changed somewhat.

Iowa needs a dual threat type of QB along with speedy WR's in order to execute what Davis has in his playbook.

The offense doesn't fit the guys Iowa has. Vandenberg throws a pretty decent deep ball and is a much better QB when he is dropping back or in the shotgun. The routes that are being run are all short and quick. Vandenberg is not a dink and dunk QB.

Vandenberg is more talented than Christensen. It's the offense that is to blame here. I know James has regressed, but I think it's because of this offense mainly. He doesn't seem comfortable and doesn't trust his WR's.

Are any of the QB's on Iowa's roster suited for a Greg Davis offense? They all are drop back passers and that isn't what Davis runs. Even with the control over the offense that Ferentz has, this offense has changed somewhat.

Iowa needs a dual threat type of QB along with speedy WR's in order to execute what Davis has in his playbook.

The offense doesn't fit the guys Iowa has. Vandenberg throws a pretty decent deep ball and is a much better QB when he is dropping back or in the shotgun. The routes that are being run are all short and quick. Vandenberg is not a dink and dunk QB.

Vandenberg is more talented than Christensen. It's the offense that is to blame here. I know James has regressed, but I think it's because of this offense mainly. He doesn't seem comfortable and doesn't trust his WR's.

If we had RGIII or Cam Newton, this team would have still lost to ISU and PSU. Davis just doesn't get it.