James Vandenberg vs Jake Christensen through Seven Games

Who? I can think of Weisman and Russell. That's pretty much it. Greene was not better than Albert Young as a frosh/soph.

He seemed to fumble more than Young, so he had that going for him. What about the CamBus? Where did he end up?

I disagree.

He ran with a very high pad level (something he fixed in 2008), had a tendency to fumble, wasn't strong in pass pro, and couldn't catch the ball out of the backfield. AY ran low, didn't fumble, was good in pass pro, and was a good receiver.

Young is arguably the most well-rounded back Iowa has had in the last 10 years. Greene in 2005/2006 was not better.

Vandy has had the benefit of a good running game and excellent protection too. Jon you asked that Vandy not get our ire,but then you throw this gasoline on the fire. What else are we to think.

Vandy has had the benefit of a good running game and excellent protection too. Jon you asked that Vandy not get our ire,but then you throw this gasoline on the fire. What else are we to think.

I wouldn't say that was gasoline. He was stating the facts that were presented. Jake has been known for being the biggest QB bust this side of the year 2000, yet JVB has even worse stats. It's hard to defend that kind of stuff.

Very informative.

Like some others in the thread, I don't read those numbers as showing that '12 JVB and '07 JC are comparable. Those numbers show that JC was clearly superior because JC didn't turn it over as much and could get it in the endzone.

This isn't to encourage people to call the kids names. That's not acceptable. Its more trying to reason why we are seeing what we are seeing ie just one QB playing and come up with hypotheticals as to why that is. I am starting to leans towards Sokol has shown more for the future than Rudock right now, and they don't want to burn his shirt and they don't want to throw Rudock in there when he's nowhere near being ready.

This isn't to encourage people to call the kids names. That's not acceptable. Its more trying to reason why we are seeing what we are seeing ie just one QB playing and come up with hypotheticals as to why that is. I am starting to leans towards Sokol has shown more for the future than Rudock right now, and they don't want to burn his shirt and they don't want to throw Rudock in there when he's nowhere near being ready.

JD - let me know what you are hearing, but I have heard that if JVB can't play for some reason, we are going to go to a wildcat formation so as not to burn Sokol's redshirt. There is a guy named Higby who will run it and if he goes down, then we're in trouble.

JD - let me know what you are hearing, but I have heard that if JVB can't play for some reason, we are going to go to a wildcat formation so as not to burn Sokol's redshirt. There is a guy named Higby who will run it and if he goes down, then we're in trouble.

I will ask around

Maybe if it was a different coach, but I have a hard time believing KF is gonna give up on a 4-3 season (or whatever the record was when they came up with this strategy) in order to play for the future. It's a plausible explanation, but doesn't fit KF's M.O.

Maybe if it was a different coach, but I have a hard time believing KF is gonna give up on a 4-3 season (or whatever the record was when they came up with this strategy) in order to play for the future. It's a plausible explanation, but doesn't fit KF's M.O.

Then the only thing that makes sense is he isn't going to play Sokol at all, and Rudock is a turnover waiting to happen, and he'll keep playing the guy with 21 career starts. It seems that it has to be one of those two, doesn't it?

Then the only thing that makes sense is he isn't going to play Sokol at all, and Rudock is a turnover waiting to happen, and he'll keep playing the guy with 21 career starts. It seems that it has to be one of those two, doesn't it?
Pretty much the only rational explanations, I agree. But I am not sure we should assume that the decision is a rational one. Looking over KF's career, you can kind of see a pattern that suggests an irrational fear of the unknown. It often makes him the great coach he is, but it creates situations where some positives are missed and negatives don't get addressed because those alternative are an unknown. Kirk is the ultimate "1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" guy. But when what's in your hand is the rock bottom worst in the B10, its better to gamble on the bush.

Are any of the QB's on Iowa's roster suited for a Greg Davis offense? They all are drop back passers and that isn't what Davis runs. Even with the control over the offense that Ferentz has, this offense has changed somewhat.

Iowa needs a dual threat type of QB along with speedy WR's in order to execute what Davis has in his playbook.

The offense doesn't fit the guys Iowa has. Vandenberg throws a pretty decent deep ball and is a much better QB when he is dropping back or in the shotgun. The routes that are being run are all short and quick. Vandenberg is not a dink and dunk QB.

Vandenberg is more talented than Christensen. It's the offense that is to blame here. I know James has regressed, but I think it's because of this offense mainly. He doesn't seem comfortable and doesn't trust his WR's.

What do you mean the offense doesn't fit the guys Iowa has? Since when has Iowa run anything other than pro-style offense with a balanced mix of run and play action with an occasional deep ball thrown in? What corp of deep threat WRs do we have? Iowa offense is built around :dink and dunk" routes. If Vandy wasn't that type of QB then he wouldn't be on the roster.

What do you mean the offense doesn't fit the guys Iowa has? Since when has Iowa run anything other than pro-style offense with a balanced mix of run and play action with an occasional deep ball thrown in? What corp of deep threat WRs do we have? Iowa offense is built around :dink and dunk" routes. If Vandy wasn't that type of QB then he wouldn't be on the roster.

Not sure if serious, but I'll bite anyway.

KOK was far more daring in the passing game than Davis appears to be. We went for big plays way more often than we are now, and we certainly didn't call plays with routes short of the sticks on 3rd downs as often as we do now.

KOK was far more daring in the passing game than Davis appears to be. We went for big plays way more often than we are now, and we certainly didn't call plays with routes short of the sticks on 3rd downs as often as we do now.

Not true. The deep routes are there this year as well, JVB is just not giving them a look and is instead automatically going to the safety valve route that is going short of the sticks.

I think these things happened with KOK too. I always thought the offense was conservative under KOK, somehow it has been even more so with Davis.

My point is Iowa has never been a deep threat team. Sure we take shots, but to imply Vandy is out of his element because Iowa changed offensive philosophies when Davis came on board as OC is a stretch.

I think this is a district possibility and that right now Rudock may be turning it over too much in practice to play. So by not playing Sokol they may actually already be thinking of next year. But Kirk will never say that if it were true

I'll take my chances Kirk, JC had a bad line and still put the ball in the endzone...

What is totally beyond me is why Capt wouldn't give another QB a few snaps when the game was totally out of reach? At that point we were playing their 4th string, give somebody some reps.