James Franklin - Yikes

Imagine trying to explain this one to a recruits parents the rest of your career. Like I am truly curious as to what his response/reaction would be if a mother bluntly asked him “how do I know you won’t put wins in front of my sons health?”

Typical behavior by a grandstanding, arrogant, puffed-up-Punk

His head is on the block and should be lopped off

276a8c1e30090b2c11913c8e1760780c.jpg

Quicker he pulls that rope the quicker Franklin can start working to get him cleared to get back on the field.

My point is, college coaches, college presidents, CEOs, U.S. Presidents, Senators, presidents of the Red Hatters, who tend to have long tenures, tend to drift towards power and independence without much oversight. Does it happen all the time? No. Is that the case with KF? I don't know, but his tenure and certain ways he operates tend to fit the window of that scenario. Is there solid oversight for Kirk and his machine? You tell me. Hiring his son in law outside of the proper channels is an indication to me that he knows his power and pressed the window. Of course, he played the "dumb" card. Not much is done accidentally or spontaneously by Kirk. And in a broader sense, in a situation where the AD and HC have nearly unchallenged power, do you think they will keep around a medical staff that keeps the talent off the field as a first choice default setting? I doubt it. And Kirk and his staff don't leave for other positions for a reason. They have the power and resistance is futile. Why leave?

OK, guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

My point is, college coaches, college presidents, CEOs, U.S. Presidents, Senators, presidents of the Red Hatters, who tend to have long tenures, tend to drift towards power and independence without much oversight. Does it happen all the time? No. Is that the case with KF? I don't know, but his tenure and certain ways he operates tend to fit the window of that scenario. Is there solid oversight for Kirk and his machine? You tell me. Hiring his son in law outside of the proper channels is an indication to me that he knows his power and pressed the window. Of course, he played the "dumb" card. Not much is done accidentally or spontaneously by Kirk. And in a broader sense, in a situation where the AD and HC have nearly unchallenged power, do you think they will keep around a medical staff that keeps the talent off the field as a first choice default setting? I doubt it. And Kirk and his staff don't leave for other positions for a reason. They have the power and resistance is futile. Why leave?

The thing about a state government agency is they are plagued by the double edged sword of way too much oversight and not nearly oversight both at the same time. They'll have compliance manuals that are as thick as the NYC Yellow Pages and teams of powerless functionaries to fill out TPS reports all day. But then at the end of the day, no one is really in charge. Like assume our fearless AD was a mid level manager who allowed the company to fall victim to a hefty retaliation/discrimination verdict. In any actual company in America in 2019 where you have to produce results and answer to a board and shareholders, that guy gets thrown under the bus and blamed for an earnings miss or tossed to the insurance sacrificial lambs 10 out of 10 times. In the fantasyland that is state government, that guy gets an extension and raise. Because no one is watching the store from a macro level.

Never happen. They make the B1G and NCAA too much money in ad revenue and merchandise licensing fees.

Will never, ever happen.

Oh I know, but it sickens me. I'll take every chance to bitch about it.

But I just don't see how any football player would go to school there or how the fans remain fans after that had happened. If this ever happened at Iowa I'd be done, I damn near stopped being Hawk fan after the Alford/Pierce crap.

Shocking that it would come to this. Huge failures. Usually when it comes to this there is a lot of personal issues between the parties. Have to guess that they didn't like each other much

Shocking that it would come to this. Huge failures. Usually when it comes to this there is a lot of personal issues between the parties. Have to guess that they didn't like each other much

If allegations hold up I could see a good reason why they might not like each other.

The thing about a state government agency is they are plagued by the double edged sword of way too much oversight and not nearly oversight both at the same time. They'll have compliance manuals that are as thick as the NYC Yellow Pages and teams of powerless functionaries to fill out TPS reports all day. But then at the end of the day, no one is really in charge. Like assume our fearless AD was a mid level manager who allowed the company to fall victim to a hefty retaliation/discrimination verdict. In any actual company in America in 2019 where you have to produce results and answer to a board and shareholders, that guy gets thrown under the bus and blamed for an earnings miss or tossed to the insurance sacrificial lambs 10 out of 10 times. In the fantasyland that is state government, that guy gets an extension and raise. Because no one is watching the store from a macro level.
And play the "stupid" card.

Or gets promoted to a position where they're out of the way and comparatively harmless or get a golden parachute and leave the company. There are still legions of paper-pushers and compliance officers at work in private corporations. Point being simply being a private bureaucracy doesn't sanitize the actions behind the scenes. It only puts it out of public view.

Never happen. They make the B1G and NCAA too much money in ad revenue and merchandise licensing fees.

Will never, ever happen.
The NCAA has never forgiven itself for killing the SMU football program, dirty as it was.

There is no egreguous act out there, no matter how unconsciable, that will get them to ever levy the death penalty again, especially on a power program.

It will most certainly not get ugly

Franklin and PSU are one of the darling B1G programs that get a lot of national attention (and ad revenue). This will get dismissed as a disgruntled doctor, Franklin will go on tv saying he vehemently denies the allegations and will have no further comment, the school will parade a bunch of former players to go on ESPN and read a script saying Franklin was the best dude they ever met, and all will be totally forgotten by week two.

Book it, verbatim.

This is exactly how it will go.
Already happening.

https://www.wgal.com/article/penn-s...-lawsuit-filed-by-former-team-doctor/28835674

I agree with your premise, but McQueary is a subhuman piece of amphibian shit and should have had his life ruined.

He told Paterno about it, and when Paterno did nothing he kept on going about his business even knowing Sandusky was still around campus like nothing happened. He didn't go to the cops like he should have because he was scared of getting fired.

How many kids got raped between when McQueary told Paterno and when the whole thing went public?? McQueary should be doing prison time for not following up as a mandatory reporter.
Agree there is a higher calling than your job. He at least should have continued up the chain of command. As a mandatory reporter myself, my obligation doesn't end with one report. I even think he leveraged this with a promotion. Hope that comforted him when he watched Sandusky driving around teenagers on campus.

Don't you think the odds are pretty high that over the years KF and/or his staff (or any long serving head coach) or someone representing them has put some "pressure" on the medical staff to clear a critical player or two so they can get back on the field? I would think it is more common the longer a head coach is in position, years to build his base of support, and easier put some subtle screws to those holding up success.
I have some problems with some things Kirk does, but I don't believe he does this. I could be wrong.

Some of you may remember when longtime Arizona State Frank Kush was fired in 1979 for interfering with a university conducted investigation. He was a successful coach from a won loss standpoint but was known for physical practices and physical and mental abuse of players that was somewhat common then, but wouldn't be accepted today. The player who came forth to spill the beans was punter Kevin Rutledge. Kevin's life would soon become a living hell. In addition to being ostracized by the ASU football community, his father's insurance office was burned to the ground and his attorney's family received multiple death threats.

This was decades before social media and the like. Imagine what would happen to a player at Penn State today if he came forward and at the very least, got the program put on probation.

Some of you may remember when longtime Arizona State Frank Kush was fired in 1979 for interfering with a university conducted investigation. He was a successful coach from a won loss standpoint but was known for physical practices and physical and mental abuse of players that was somewhat common then, but wouldn't be accepted today. The player who came forth to spill the beans was punter Kevin Rutledge. Kevin's life would soon become a living hell. In addition to being ostracized by the ASU football community, his father's insurance office was burned to the ground and his attorney's family received multiple death threats.

This was decades before social media and the like. Imagine what would happen to a player at Penn State today if he came forward and at the very least, got the program put on probation.
If you "spill the beans" on a person or organization with power, it often doesn't have a happy ending. There is a price to pay for being a leader and truthful.

Would they just pull that football program already? It sickens me every time I see Pedo State being celebrated and how their fans continue to support a football program with those disgusting ties.
The only good thing that came out of the SMU "death penalty" in 1987 was that it had to make Hayden Fry feel like the most vindicated man on the face of the Earth. It was those very boosters who got Hayden fired from SMU in the early 1970's because Hayden wanted nothing to do with them, would not allow them access to the program, and they complained to and bribed Hayden's bosses and the athletic department.

The only good thing that came out of the SMU "death penalty" in 1987 was that it had to make Hayden Fry feel like the most vindicated man on the face of the Earth. It was those very boosters who got Hayden fired from SMU in the early 1970's because Hayden wanted nothing to do with them, would not allow them access to the program, and they complained to and bribed Hayden's bosses and the athletic department.

I would argue that there is way more reasons to give Pedo State the death penalty than SMU. SMU cheated, no question about it and I highly doubt they are the only ones, but enabling a pedophile and covering for him is far worse than paying players.

But you are right about Hayden, it's because of those boosters that eventually got Hayden to Iowa.

The NCAA has never forgiven itself for killing the SMU football program, dirty as it was.

There is no egregious act out there, no matter how unconsciable, that will get them to ever levy the death penalty again, especially on a power program.

Of course not, if they wouldn't give Miami (who basically did exactly what SMU did) or Pedo State the death penalty then it's never going to happen.

Latest posts