James Daniels Headed to NFL

No one has mentioned yet that he incurred some leg (knee) injury problems in both 2016 and this year. We know what games he missed but we don't know what games he may have been playing at less than 100%. Seems a bit unfair to criticize or project w/o knowing all data.

Exactly. How can the experts project how Daniels will do in the NFL if he has never been healthy enough for everybody to see how good he really is? Wouldn't it be better to stay another year and prove he is worthy of the hype and can actually stay healthy?

Want to put some scratch on it? I say no earlier than the fourth round. You take the first three rounds?

I just started looking at some Mock drafts to see if Daniels is in there but I'm not sure if they would have had him until he declared so perhaps not all have been updated.

But I did find this article from Land of 10 which also has the Sports Illustrated and CBS first round mock draft. Neither SI or Land of 10 have Jackson going in the first round. CBS lists him going at #13. Obviously Daniels wasn't on any but I don't think anybody is claiming he's a first rounder but perhaps 2nd or 3rd.
https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/nf...ns-top-players-2018-nfl-draft-order-january-5

But I still think Daniels is going in the 2nd or 3rd round or I don't think he would have left.

That's an interesting question... Who is the bigger loss?

In my opinion - Jackson was certainly better individually than Daniels but I also think that the Center position is so important to the entire offensive line that his loss could likely be felt more.

Also the depth at QB seems to be strong. The OLine is deep but I'm not sure about the Center position.

I think Daniels is a bigger loss. Our Oline needed to improve greatly next year and he was the most dependable piece of the line. Next year we will have 2 tackles with more experience but they still are only sophomores. We are losing a all big ten caliber guard on one side of Daniels and were rotating guards on the other side. James was the only piece on that line which you KNEW was going to be rock solid.

I agree Jackson was more noticeable but we have 3 corners with starting experience.. a couple players who appeared to be pretty good from last years class and 2 good corners coming in this years class. We might take a step back at corner but it won’t be falling off of a cliff.

Want to put some scratch on it? I say no earlier than the fourth round. You take the first three rounds?

I will put 20$ on that action. Get your PayPal set up my friend. I will expect prompt payment.

I will put 20$ on that action. Get your PayPal set up my friend. I will expect prompt payment.
From my perspective, the tide turned on this after the recent projections came out. A couple of months ago, I saw him as a 4th or 5th round prospect, but now he is consistently coming up as a likely 2nd/early 3rd rounder. Given the contracts being doled out, he probably made the right decision. With him, a lot will depend upon his combine performance.

That said, as opposed to Jackson, I do think Daniels could have significantly improved his draft stock by coming back. He's nowhere near a finished project. Going from say early 3rd to early 2nd would have been huge in terms of cash.

Now, I would suspect that Render will get moved over (BIG drop-off IMO, unless he makes a huge leap this off-season). Spencer Williams also is a possibility, and, don't rule out true frosh Jenkins. He's an underrated recruit, IMO, and is a darkhorse here.

If you are going to say stupid things, please change your name. You are making the great Americanzi look bad.

I don't think he's a first three rounds pick. That's just my opinion. If you think it's a stupid opinion I don't take offense. We will find out soon enough.

I will take your action. You will want to bookmark this as I will probably forget between now and the draft, but I'm a man of my word and will pay up if I lose.

I don't think he's a first three rounds pick. That's just my opinion. If you think it's a stupid opinion I don't take offense. We will find out soon enough.

Your original statement was “he will be lucky to be drafted”. Not “he will be lucky to be drafted in the first 3 rounds”.

I will take your action. You will want to bookmark this as I will probably forget between now and the draft, but I'm a man of my word and will pay up if I lose.

Screen shot saved. Good luck. Money aside I sincerely hope Daniels is rewarded for his decision.

P.S. I will allow you to back out after the combine if the information points to a sure loss.

He totally should go pro. He'll be drafted in the first three rounds and make millions. Good for him.

That said, expectations for 2018 don't change a bit. We supposedly have state-of-the-art facilities, a coaching staff making millions and (allegedly) one of the best S&D coaches in the game. Y'all like to say "next man in" all the time. Well, shut up and "next man in" us a starting center. You have nine months.
There's a handful of players that have been in the program for multiple years that should be able to shuffle in. Render, Renolds have both played a lot so how it plays out who gets the center gig will be interesting. The Paulsen twins are going into their RS Jr years I believe so one or both of them outta be good to go. Being able to lean on Daniels would have only made Stanleys job so much easier but I think they'll be just fine once they sort it out. (hope it doesn't go into the season but sometimes it does.)

That makes 2 point guards we now need.

Has Iowa ever produced two brothers to the NFL?

Ronnie and Kevin Harmon, Jay and Joel Hilgenberg, and Nick and Robert Gallery. Was surprised to see that neither Brian Ferentz or Bob Stoops played in an official NFL game, but James and Mike did.

My issue isn’t that you don’t think he will fair well. My issue is that you don’t seem to have any real knowledge or facts to back up your claims. If you have some examples and names that agree with you, I’d think that your claims are more than baseless conjecture. But yeah, I think he goes in the first three rounds.

My issue isn’t that you don’t think he will fair well. My issue is that you don’t seem to have any real knowledge or facts to back up your claims. If you have some examples and names that agree with you, I’d think that your claims are more than baseless conjecture. But yeah, I think he goes in the first three rounds.

My opinion is just based on having watched him play this season, along with several mock drafts that I've read. Perhaps most importantly is that he's a center and they rarely go in the first two rounds. However, he's been a great Hawk, and I absolutely hope I'm wrong and that he goes early.

I think people are underestimating how poor o-line play is currently in the NFL. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago he is a late rounder, now I think he is a 3rd or 4th rounder. He didn’t have a great year this year, but he is cerebral and athletic. Slightly undersized, he may need to add some junk in the trunk.

If he can show that he can back up both guard spots and center to make a roster........I could see him working his way into the starting lineup 2 or 3 years down the road.

I think people are underestimating how poor o-line play is currently in the NFL. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago he is a late rounder, now I think he is a 3rd or 4th rounder. He didn’t have a great year this year, but he is cerebral and athletic. Slightly undersized, he may need to add some junk in the trunk.

If he can show that he can back up both guard spots and center to make a roster........I could see him working his way into the starting lineup 2 or 3 years down the road.
This is a very good point. Over the past few seasons, the quality of play of the offensive lines in the NFL has taken a big step back. It seems like almost every NFL team is having offensive line issues, so, if you even show upside, you're likely to be taken a little earlier than normal right now.

As a Packer fan, I can definitely attest to that. With all the injuries, they were forced to play the back-ups to the back-ups and it got downright ugly at times this last season. Tackles weren't even out there for the taking, so guards were literally being signed off the street, then getting moved to tackle and starting the same week.