James Daniels Headed to NFL

How does this affect Jon's comment about 2017 being foundation building for the next 2 years? Is 2018 going to be a foundation building year for 2019 & 2020?

No one has mentioned yet that he incurred some leg (knee) injury problems in both 2016 and this year. We know what games he missed but we don't know what games he may have been playing at less than 100%. Seems a bit unfair to criticize or project w/o knowing all data.

Regardless of guys leaving for injury, NFL, Grades, discipline, etc the next guys in have to be ready to play regardless. Sure it hurts but Its not like Daniels was a super durable guy anyway that never missed a game. Bar none players need to be ready to play and the coaches need to work on getting them the tools to do so. At least we have some time and it opens another scholarship. I myself am a little shocked that he left but I don't scour the game footage after the games and grade the o-line. I think part of the reason is the quality of lineman in the NFL right now. There are a lot of teams that need talented young guys. Good luck to Mr. Daniels, I hope your hard work is rewarded!

It's also very likely that he isn't necessarily being looked at by NFL teams and scouts as just a center. He has experience at G, T and C in a pro-set line under an HC with a track record for producing long-term NFL contributors on the OL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted in the second round and being immediately converted a guard. His athleticism means he'll be able to block straight up or pull. Also, moving him to guard allows him to not have to worry about reading the defense as much as a center would and to focus on using his athleticism and instincts instead.

I've added to my story linked in the OP talking about how things look on the offensive line with the loss of Daniels and Welsh.

I know that Levi Duwa made a switch to center toward the end of the season but I have never heard anything since. Any idea how he's progressed there? When I heard this, it was the first time I got the feeling Daniels was gone, even if it had absolutely nothing to do with it.

So the little ole Iowa that the national media likes to bash and ridicule OSU for having lost to has 2 players one on each side of the ball going pro early. Not only going pro early but most likely being taken in the top 2 rounds. Plus Wadley will be an impact player at the next level. Someone will fall in love with Jewell. Say what you want about Iowa we churn out pros.

Woo Hoo. Actually the score was better. Maybe this is indicative of under performance?

It’s interesting how Daniels didn’t have a standout season and wasn’t recognized for doing so yet Wisconsin’s entire OL was dominant and recognized as doing so but will they lose anyone early to the NFL?

All true in my opinion except for Wadley. I hope like hell I'm wrong but I don't think he has the body for today's NFL.

Even guys like Barry Sanders and Walter Peyton were 5'9" ish but they were 200 lbs. They didn't play against the speed and strength of today's DLs and LBs. If he makes a mark it's as a receiverLike Welker or Beasley.

Jewell...he's going to be a 10-year, multiple Pro Bowl linebacker for the Vikings, just like another Hawk LB I know ;)
Yeah by no means is Wadley a 25 touch a game guy at that level. The guy who's in the NFL now he reminds me of is that Redskins kid that got hurt Thompson. He wasn't setting the league on fire or anything but was clearly a huge part of their offense. I think he was leading them in receptions this year at the time he got hurt. But there's no reason Wadley couldn't get 5 rushes and 3 or 4 catches a game and return kicks. Just has to find right fit

I know that Levi Duwa made a switch to center toward the end of the season but I have never heard anything since. Any idea how he's progressed there? When I heard this, it was the first time I got the feeling Daniels was gone, even if it had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Right after he moved he got hurt again. Missed bowl prep. Sounds like he has little to no experience. We'll have to see if he's healthy and able to make any progress in the spring.

It's just my opinion. I didn't say he should listen to me. With that said I've read nothing that suggests he will be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round draft pick. If you're going to leave early I would think it only makes sense if you have been told you're going to be a high draft pick. Daniels certainly hasn't been told that.
You’re talking out of your ass.

So the little ole Iowa that the national media likes to bash and ridicule OSU for having lost to has 2 players one on each side of the ball going pro early. Not only going pro early but most likely being taken in the top 2 rounds. Plus Wadley will be an impact player at the next level. Someone will fall in love with Jewell. Say what you want about Iowa we churn out pros.
I think one could as easily blame Iowa coaches for Iowa's lack of success as a team as laud Iowa coaches for churning out pro-caliber players. Gooo NFL farm team!!!

He totally should go pro. He'll be drafted in the first three rounds and make millions. Good for him.

That said, expectations for 2018 don't change a bit. We supposedly have state-of-the-art facilities, a coaching staff making millions and (allegedly) one of the best S&D coaches in the game. Y'all like to say "next man in" all the time. Well, shut up and "next man in" us a starting center. You have nine months.