Jaime Printy is out for the season

Bluder has the worst luck ever......

Why can't it happen to some@$#%## like Geno Auriema or Saban............

Unfortunately a very common occurance in girl's/women's basketball and it isn't Doyle's error(I know said in jest) that happen's way to often in women's basketball. However, a lot of these injuries are caused by improper training. I have no idea how this unfortunate injury occurred but poor training contributes to a lot of these.

Someone with some knowledge needs to show the statistics of men's BB ACL tears compared to women's. It's a huge difference. Most are brought on by a huge muscle imbalance caused from excessive quad strength in comparison to Hamstring strenghth.

Unfortunately a very common occurance in girl's/women's basketball and it isn't Doyle's error(I know said in jest) that happen's way to often in women's basketball. However, a lot of these injuries are caused by improper training. I have no idea how this unfortunate injury occurred but poor training contributes to a lot of these.

Someone with some knowledge needs to show the statistics of men's BB ACL tears compared to women's. It's a huge difference. Most are brought on by a huge muscle imbalance caused from excessive quad strength in comparison to Hamstring strenghth.

It's just more common in girls, period. Lots of high school girls blow out their knees in any sport they play (including a girl who I went to school with, who blew the same knee out twice while playing softball). They're just more prone to it, and whatever improper training they receive in college just heightens the risk even more.

At this point, it might be time to take a good look at what we're doing with this girls. Surely there's something we can do to reduce the number of these injuries, because we seem to get hit with them all the time (more than most or any other schools).

It could very well be their training regimen. Chelsea Thomas (All-American softball pitcher at Mizzou and Pleasantville, IA native) had all kinds of trouble with injuries her first couple years on campus. The softball team was using a football training regimen. They got a sport-specific program before last season; she was healthy all year and was one of three finalists for National POY.

I'm not saying we're using a football workout program, just saying that the proper program can make all the difference in the world.

Can't agree with the improper training.

A couple years back one of the orthopedic surgeons in Des Moines was on the old Marty and Miller show.

He said it was more common in women due to the different angle the bones form at the knee joint due to the difference in the width of a woman's pelvis compared to a man's pelvis.

He said that difference will always relate to more ACL injuries in women and there was little that could be done in training to change the threat.

Lion is correct. I had forgotten what the actual reason was, but remembered there was a physiologic reason for more ACL tears in females. That's a huge blow to the team and Jamie.

That's awful. Jamie is the heart of that team. How many players have they lost to injury this year?

Actually Lion is incorrect. I am a PT and there are plyometric programs that have been statistically proven to reduce the chance of ACL tears in both men and women. Yes, women will always have a greater risk due to increased knee angles and hormonal differences that cause ligament laxity. However, many women land from a jump with their knees locked. A proper program that increases hip, quad/ham strength and landing technique can significantly reduce these injuries. I hope our running backs are utilizing these programs.

That's awful. Jamie is the heart of that team. How many players have they lost to injury this year?

OUT FOR SEASON:

Hannah Draxten had to end her career over the summer because of recurring back problems

Megan Considine, Achilles tendon injury (and is a senior so may be finished)

Jade Rogers, knee repairs from previous injuries

Jamie Printy

MISSED TIME:

Virginia Johnson, concussion (and we saw what she's capable of against PU)

Melissa Dixon, torn meniscus (ironically had just returned for the UW game)

Kalli Hansen, groin (not yet back)

AVAILABLE BUT IMPAIRED ABILITY:

Trish Nesbitt, was primary backup at point two seasons ago (and did well), limited ever since by foot problems

Theairra Taylor, improving but not yet fully recovered from 3 ACL tears

OF CONCERN:

Morgan Johnson, tendinitis in both knees, has had to leave several games this season but has returned (so far)

Unreal. Hopefully Logic and Wahlin can pick up the slack. Fortunately Iowa is pretty deep at the guard position. Really going to have to lean on Johnson now, moreso than usual.

Latest posts