Jaime Printy is out for the season

Yes other womens basketball programs have similar levels of injury rates. Unfortunately, it is largely a design flaw in womens anatomy. Other than this weak link in the knee, I am a big fan of the overall design. ;)

Actually Lion is incorrect. I am a PT and there are plyometric programs that have been statistically proven to reduce the chance of ACL tears in both men and women. Yes, women will always have a greater risk due to increased knee angles and hormonal differences that cause ligament laxity. However, many women land from a jump with their knees locked. A proper program that increases hip, quad/ham strength and landing technique can significantly reduce these injuries. I hope our running backs are utilizing these programs.

Thanks for the clarification PT.

The interview I heard was several years ago and as I grow older my memory becomes less clear.

They tell me the memory is the second thing to go. I'll let you decide what the first thing is.

Thanks for the clarification PT.

The interview I heard was several years ago and as I grow older my memory becomes less clear.

They tell me the memory is the second thing to go. I'll let you decide what the first thing is.

Can Mrs Lionhawk shed any light on this?

Yes other womens basketball programs have similar levels of injury rates. Unfortunately, it is largely a design flaw in womens anatomy. Other than this weak link in the knee, I am a big fan of the overall design. ;)

I don't follow a lot of other WBB teams closely, but I haven't noticed that the other in-state schools or B10 schools have had the sheer number of serious injuries year after year that Iowa has. Sure it's not unusual to lose a key player (for UNI to lose Kalin was huge for them this year) but close to half of Iowa's roster is either out or impaired at the moment. And it's not just knees, as I mentioned above. Alexander had to finish her career with a titanium rod inserted in her leg.

Actually Lion is incorrect. I am a PT and there are plyometric programs that have been statistically proven to reduce the chance of ACL tears in both men and women. Yes, women will always have a greater risk due to increased knee angles and hormonal differences that cause ligament laxity. However, many women land from a jump with their knees locked. A proper program that increases hip, quad/ham strength and landing technique can significantly reduce these injuries. I hope our running backs are utilizing these programs.

This is basically what I was getting at. I know women have stronger predisposition to ACL tears, but we seem to get hit with them much harder than other schools. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but perhaps there's something that can be changed in our training program to reduce the chances of these injuries occurring.

where are you a PT at? you can PM me if you'd rather not make it public.

i attended a sports med symposium in sioux falls and one of the speakers was from UNC, darin padigua (some weird spelling like that) and he had tons of research on ACL prevention programs. he was shocked at how little knee flexion was at initial landing.

i know Doyle and the iowa strength program generally has a pretty good reputation, but i have heard some things about questionable training (beyond just the rhabdo incident). i really hope they're staying cutting edge. i have a friend in S&C and he said you would be surprised how many S&C coaches at the BCS level really don't use the new research and use some questionable training methods. kind of the good ole boys network, but its slowly changing.

Agreed

Latest posts