Jack won't be a Hawkeye

InGoodCo

I knew that the McCaffery's didn't love how Pat and Connor have been treated in their time at Iowa, I just didn't realize how much they didn't like it. I also have always thought Fran has never felt very appreciated either. Well, I think we can glean some stuff here. Losing a 4 star recruit who sits in your own kitchen? You know the anxiety issue Pat had also stemmed from the pressure and likely people just being the fucking worst to him all the time on the internet. Call it soft, call it whatever, but it pretty much confirms my belief that Fran isn't THAT happy here. He has laid roots, he's had success, the place is still less than 1/2 half full and no one is satisfied (I'm not either for the record).

I bet we see Fran gone within a year now. Which is fine..... I love new blood as much as the next and Fran has done a great job for our program... but I think the writings on the wall here that he will either take another gig or retire. Jack is looking at B1G schools.... can you imagine Fran playing Jack twice a year for 4 seasons? Yeah neither can I.

https://twitter.com/connor_m30/status/1669429246907895815?s=20

Last edited:
I knew that the McCaffery's didn't love how Pat and Connor have been treated in their time at Iowa, I just didn't realize how much they didn't like it. I also have always thought Fran has never felt very appreciated either. Well, I think we can glean some stuff here. Losing a 4 star recruit who sits in your own kitchen? You know the anxiety issue Pat had also stemmed from the pressure and likely people just being the fucking worst to him all the time on the internet. Call it soft, call it whatever, but it pretty much confirms my belief that Fran isn't THAT happy here. He has laid roots, he's had success, the place is still less than 1/2 half full and no one is satisfied (I'm not either for the record).

I bet we see Fran gone within a year now. Which is fine..... I love new blood as much as the next and Fran has done a great job for our program... but I think the writings on the wall here that he will either take another gig or retire. Jack is looking at B1G schools.... can you imagine Fran playing Jack twice a year for 4 seasons? Yeah neither can I.

Agree that's my takeaway as well. It'd also be easy to read into that the other two boys were watched closely by Jack and yeah there's just a lot that could be going into it. For some time now I'd figured Frans tenure would be tied to Jacks time at Iowa (assuming Iowa didn't tank and fire him)

Frans been here like 13-14 yrs right? That's a long ass time. And besides his kids he has no ties to here. If Jack is going to play for someone else in the BIG there's just no way I see Fran sticking it out. I think Iowa may struggle next yr. It's a bit of a rebuilding yr. There's no Garza or Murray that's going to drop 20 plus every night. Defensively I think they'll take a step back too (and that's saying something) So this could very well be it after this yr.... Look for for sale signs at his house around March

Agree that's my takeaway as well. It'd also be easy to read into that the other two boys were watched closely by Jack and yeah there's just a lot that could be going into it. For some time now I'd figured Frans tenure would be tied to Jacks time at Iowa (assuming Iowa didn't tank and fire him)

Frans been here like 13-14 yrs right? That's a long ass time. And besides his kids he has no ties to here. If Jack is going to play for someone else in the BIG there's just no way I see Fran sticking it out. I think Iowa may struggle next yr. It's a bit of a rebuilding yr. There's no Garza or Murray that's going to drop 20 plus every night. Defensively I think they'll take a step back too (and that's saying something) So this could very well be it after this yr.... Look for for sale signs at his house around March
I expect them to be pretty good... I mean, maybe not top 25, but probably an above average Iowa basketball team historically for Iowa. We say they're going to take a step back every season. I'm not playing that anymore since there's like one season in the past 10 that could be considered a big step back and one season they missed the dance by a game. That's a trend, that's something we can bank on. This could be Tony's break out year. This could Peyton's break out year. We just don't know and we don't know how the new players will come in and fit. What if Bowen comes in and explodes next year? He could. I don't think the cupboard is nearly as empty as a lot of you think. It's in NO WHERE near the shape Alford's teams came into the year almost every season. Void of talent and players who can't score.

I am not betting against a Fran team finishing way better than they are expected by fans or "experts" cause they've both been wrong like 95% of the time when it comes to Fran's Iowa's teams. Perkins, Patrick and Peyton... that's a heck of a nucleus coming back IMO.

I get it, I am different in regards that I expect them to be good again. I get called for having blind faith but I'll continue to argue that I am just like, ya know, expecting what we've been getting for a while now and that's a good, respectable program that is going to probably be in the mix to play in March every year. Call me crazy, I just go off of what I watch.

That said, this really feels like the end. New AD, Fran's kid going somewhere else (seriously, even without the accident I never thought that would happen) and Patrick basically saying he wouldn't use his extra Covid year. I get the feeling they all can't wait to get the F out of here.

I expect them to be pretty good... I mean, maybe not top 25, but probably an above average Iowa basketball team historically for Iowa. We say they're going to take a step back every season. I'm not playing that anymore since there's like one season in the past 10 that could be considered a big step back and one season they missed the dance by a game. That's a trend, that's something we can bank on. This could be Tony's break out year. This could Peyton's break out year. We just don't know and we don't know how the new players will come in and fit. What if Bowen comes in and explodes next year? He could. I don't think the cupboard is nearly as empty as a lot of you think. It's in NO WHERE near the shape Alford's teams came into the year almost every season. Void of talent and players who can't score.

I am not betting against a Fran team finishing way better than they are expected by fans or "experts" cause they've both been wrong like 95% of the time when it comes to Fran's Iowa's teams. Perkins, Patrick and Peyton... that's a heck of a nucleus coming back IMO.

I get it, I am different in regards that I expect them to be good again. I get called for having blind faith but I'll continue to argue that I am just like, ya know, expecting what we've been getting for a while now and that's a good, respectable program that is going to probably be in the mix to play in March every year. Call me crazy, I just go off of what I watch.

That said, this really feels like the end. New AD, Fran's kid going somewhere else (seriously, even without the accident I never thought that would happen) and Patrick basically saying he wouldn't use his extra Covid year. I get the feeling they all can't wait to get the F out of here.
And now a new athletic director. And the fact that the men's team has now slipped behind the women's team in addition to the wrestling team in terms of popularity

Count me as concerned about next year. Fran seemed to go "all in" on last year, really shortened the bench, and it didn't work.

Now guys like Bowen, Mulvey and Dix are going to have to log key minutes and who knows if they're ready for them.

You might be right. But you also may be way off.
If things were so terrible and the entire family couldn't wait to get out of Iowa City, why did Connor stay his extra year? The fan base and entire state gave Pat overwhelming support during his in-season struggles...no one could possibly expect anything more there.
Not everybody 16 yr old wants to follow closely in their brother's footsteps. It's possible Jack just wants to branch out and create his own identity. I'm just sayin', there could be a lot of factors at play we don't know about.
And that doesn't diminish the possibility that Fran is ready to hang it up rather than deal with all the complications of NIL, the portal, etc. Certainly couldn't blame him.

Agreed. I think Margaret has wanted out for a long time. If Fran still has the desire to coach after next year I would not be shocked at all if he took a mid-tier job somewhere else.

Sidenote: Surprised no one brought up that Connor got a coaching gig working for the Indiana Pacers. 90% of NBA head coaches are interchangeable, but Rick Carlisle isn't one of those dudes. It is a great spot to be in, to get his foot in the door and get his coaching career started.

If true (as it appears conclusive based on his twitter comments).....Fran has to be looking at other coaching stops. I think we are going to see a number of changes in the next year or so with a new AD. Both Kirk and Fran are both long in the tooth and have their baggage issues to go along with their positive accomplishments.

Last edited:
If true (as it appears conclusive based on his twitter comments).....Fran has to be looking at other coaching stops. I think we are going to see a number of changes in the next year or so with a new AD. Both Kirk and Fran are both long in the tooth and have their baggage issues to go along with their positive accomplishments.
The fact of Barta getting "retired" seems to me a big reason for seeing coaching changes in football and shooty hoops. Just a hunch but Drake and Mississippi State may be trying to lock down their coaches for the foreseeable future.

Both have ties to Notre Dame. Even though they just hired a new coach, you never know what could happen in a year or two. Connor being in Indiana, maybe head back to familiar territory?

Jack's statement and the nature of this headline seem clear enough... but who knows? I bet he doesn't either. As weird as it might seem, maybe he will actually end up at Iowa. And this doesn't necessarily mean that Fran will leave.

If there is a strong chance he signs with Iowa and plays for his dad, it would seem strange to say something like this to the media. But in this day and age, I think all of this soft commentary about recruiting/committing/transferring is worthless until you see them in a jersey.

I don't think it's crazy to have blind faith. I wish I was on the positive side of thinking more often. When it comes to projecting ahead there's 1 of 3 things that can happen. Players/teams can get worse, get better or (rarely) stay the same. Yeah TP and Sandfort could really take leaps with their games they've showed the occasional ability to do so. Can they become every game consistent is what we're debating on as much as anything and that's just tough to know. Their bad games can be pretty bad. I lean towards no atm. But I could be wrong.

Defensively/rebounding I don't think there's a ton of improvement to be had there. Making winning more problematic. I doubt the Krikke kid is as tough or good of a defender as Rebraca was. I thought Rebraca held his own as well as could have been expected. It's just too bad his offense was as limited as it was. PM I'm not going to expect much out of. I'm just not. His game has always been herky jerky and he plays like he's anything but a coaches kid with his decision making/shot selection and falling asleep on D. Along with his mental and physical health to expect a significant leap in his game would be a lot to ask.

And yeah Bowen is a huge crapshoot. He was brought in half expected to be the unicorn of an all around PG that Fran has always been trying to get. I'm not going to read too much into last yr for him he just didn't play enough. He's on the skinny side he's quick and fast. He's aggressive and not afraid to dribble drive. How he does will be very interesting. I loved his HS tape I think his style is perfect but can he develop and do it at this level? He'll get his chance

When I heard Jack's statement yesterday, this is exactly the first thing that came to my mind. They were prob on the fence before, but after this tragic incident, I think that is what is going to put everything in motion. I get the impression they just want a reboot.

I don't think it's crazy to have blind faith. I wish I was on the positive side of thinking more often. When it comes to projecting ahead there's 1 of 3 things that can happen. Players/teams can get worse, get better or (rarely) stay the same. Yeah TP and Sandfort could really take leaps with their games they've showed the occasional ability to do so. Can they become every game consistent is what we're debating on as much as anything and that's just tough to know. Their bad games can be pretty bad. I lean towards no atm. But I could be wrong.

Defensively/rebounding I don't think there's a ton of improvement to be had there. Making winning more problematic. I doubt the Krikke kid is as tough or good of a defender as Rebraca was. I thought Rebraca held his own as well as could have been expected. It's just too bad his offense was as limited as it was. PM I'm not going to expect much out of. I'm just not. His game has always been herky jerky and he plays like he's anything but a coaches kid with his decision making/shot selection and falling asleep on D. Along with his mental and physical health to expect a significant leap in his game would be a lot to ask.

And yeah Bowen is a huge crapshoot. He was brought in half expected to be the unicorn of an all around PG that Fran has always been trying to get. I'm not going to read too much into last yr for him he just didn't play enough. He's on the skinny side he's quick and fast. He's aggressive and not afraid to dribble drive. How he does will be very interesting. I loved his HS tape I think his style is perfect but can he develop and do it at this level? He'll get his chance
I don't think it's blind faith at this point though is kind of what I was insinuating. I just kind of trust Fran at this point with roster management and development. He's had one year since he got things turned around where the bottom fell out and IMO, some of that had to do with having a really young team, and having a guy who was likely your starting PG transfer out a week before the season. They took their lumps. This year, they have way more known commodities. I too am worried about post play and rebounding. Way worried..... but I just get this sinking feeling that, with the Spain trip, the 2 Freshman bigs might be able to contribute this season (because they get those extra practices) and I think Riley Mulvey is an interesting prospect. If he has a good off season, we might not see a pretty serviceable big that's already on the roster, developed and ready to play. Maybe he'll never play, but I think he will. He moves pretty well and he has size.

Jack's statement and the nature of this headline seem clear enough... but who knows? I bet he doesn't either. As weird as it might seem, maybe he will actually end up at Iowa. And this doesn't necessarily mean that Fran will leave.

If there is a strong chance he signs with Iowa and plays for his dad, it would seem strange to say something like this to the media. But in this day and age, I think all of this soft commentary about recruiting/committing/transferring is worthless until you see them in a jersey.
Yeah we are still talking 2 yrs out yet. A whole lot of things can happen/change in that length of time in the hoops world. If Iowa has a tough yr I could see Fran moving on after it though. His kid seems pretty dead set on trying something different and going somewhere else though. At this point I'd say odds are slim to none he'll suit up for the Hawks. But who knows kids have a tough enough time picking out what cereal they want for breakfast too

Connor was the whipping boy of the program for 4 seasons and literally every Iowa fan wanted him benched and used the "Daddy's boy" narrative and he faced some really big criticisms because he wasn't like an all star. Patrick, same thing. People want him benched. People think they aren't worthy of a scholarship at Iowa.

They go somewhere else, and that's not even a narrative. Other programs would look at them as role players who they love to have on their team. I think the McCaffery's learned that it's probably not the best atmosphere for their kids now that they've been through it and if they feel that way, I imagine that likely means they harbor some resentment because of it, even though it likely would have happened at Notre Dame or wherever he coached right? It comes with the job and territory, but it doesn't mean they like it and clearly they don't as it's apparent a 4 star kid who lives in Iowa City is going to play basketball somewhere other than Iowa.

I don't think it's blind faith at this point though is kind of what I was insinuating. I just kind of trust Fran at this point with roster management and development. He's had one year since he got things turned around where the bottom fell out and IMO, some of that had to do with having a really young team, and having a guy who was likely your starting PG transfer out a week before the season. They took their lumps. This year, they have way more known commodities. I too am worried about post play and rebounding. Way worried..... but I just get this sinking feeling that, with the Spain trip, the 2 Freshman bigs might be able to contribute this season (because they get those extra practices) and I think Riley Mulvey is an interesting prospect. If he has a good off season, we might not see a pretty serviceable big that's already on the roster, developed and ready to play. Maybe he'll never play, but I think he will. He moves pretty well and he has size.
Between the PG position and bigs they'll have to improve production. Losing Murray and assuming TP and or Sandfort can't sigillary replace his production they just need more from elsewhere. It feels like it's now or never for Mulvey this is his shot. I know he came in early and was really young at first but it's go time for him now. If the team is to do well that's where it'll start.

Maybe attrition has set in with the Iowa basketball program. There just isn’t any enthusiasm like for the women’s team. I like Fran but he isn’t able to recruit enough of the type of players to make his style work come Tourney time. Iowa can afford to pay a known quality to replace him. I just don’t have strong feelings about Fran’s tenure here. Don’t blame his kid for getting out of the fishbowl called Iowa City. I think Jack is making the right choice given the circumstances.

He's probably just saying that so other schools will recruit him and he can rub his offer list in his brother's faces.

It does look like the beginning of the end. Fran is 64, good time to hang it up. He can watch Jack play where ever he goes.

Beth Goetz may have her first big hire on the horizon.
I would guess this is what it is all about. By the time Jack would be a senior Fran will be SEVENTY YEARS OLD. Screw that! Why would he want to put himself through that, versus kicking back and slowing down to enjoy a more stress free life? And just be a parent enjoying from the sidelines. Coaching is a life consuming profession. If Jack is a Hawk, Fran is stuck working till he graduates.

I highly doubt the microscope Connor and Patrick have been under would be different anywhere else. Such is the life of coaching one's kid at any level, in any sport. I lived that. Patrick has had lots of personal struggles and I suspect that is the lone reason he isn't interested in a bonus year. Some people just choose to move on with life. Warnock passed up an opportunity to be part of another historic team.

Whatever any of them choose to do I wish them well. And I will thank Fran for coming to Iowa and bringing the program back to life. Wow, we have had some fun times under his run! Yeah sure we all wanted more, but we sure suffered through a lot less.

Whenever Fran sets sail I will be sad, and then get behind the next guy, hoping he takes us forwards and not backwards...

Last edited:

Latest posts