Jack won't be a Hawkeye

Fran has the luxury of doing what ever he damn well pleases. Stay at Iowa and retire rich. Go to another job, up, down or lateral with a very good contract. Don’t under estimate this guy. He is in charge of his life and knows it. Read it and weep! He is to be admired.
For the most part. One bad season with the new AD could put him on the hot seat. He should already be financially set though as long as he's been making big bucks. Not having to pay for 3 of his boys to go to school sure doesn't hurt I assume he may have to be paying for his daughter. Pocket change to him.

Just thought of this has an 'interim' AD ever fired a coach for a bad season before?

For the most part. One bad season with the new AD could put him on the hot seat. He should already be financially set though as long as he's been making big bucks. Not having to pay for 3 of his boys to go to school sure doesn't hurt I assume he may have to be paying for his daughter. Pocket change to him.

Just thought of this has an 'interim' AD ever fired a coach for a bad season before?
He'd have to have a really bad season though, I mean, he has a lot of good will with the success he has had. While we might not be elite this year, I just don't see any scenario where the bottom falls out and he has a bad year. It could happen, but if I had to lean good season on the brink or bad season on the brink - hammer the over.

He'd have to have a really bad season though, I mean, he has a lot of good will with the success he has had. While we might not be elite this year, I just don't see any scenario where the bottom falls out and he has a bad year. It could happen, but if I had to lean good season on the brink or bad season on the brink - hammer the over.
For sure it'd take a pretty bad yr. Like less then 15 wins kinda bad I suppose and I don't see that happening. I've seen some folks say they don't think we'll get to 20 wins or make the dance though. But I don't think that'd get him fired cause like you said.

Granted an injury here or there might be all it takes for a bad yr to happen. I just don't think an interim AD would pull the trigger on anything unless they were for sure getting the job full time. I don't know if they have the power/clout to make a move like that otherwise. Just depends how they have things setup.

He's recruiting at a high level and getting to the tourney consistently, it would be a bad idea to force him out IMHO.

For sure it'd take a pretty bad yr. Like less then 15 wins kinda bad I suppose and I don't see that happening. I've seen some folks say they don't think we'll get to 20 wins or make the dance though. But I don't think that'd get him fired cause like you said.

Granted an injury here or there might be all it takes for a bad yr to happen. I just don't think an interim AD would pull the trigger on anything unless they were for sure getting the job full time. I don't know if they have the power/clout to make a move like that otherwise. Just depends how they have things setup.
Right, some folks have said that every single year about Iowa (sans 20/21) as of late ..... maybe they'll get it right once if they keep predicting it.... or maybe they should have a little more prespective. I am leaning towards the latter.

Also, I don't think it's out of the question that they announced this for Jack so he would get recruited by other schools all a long knowing he can still come to Iowa if he isn't feeling it. I think Fran also feels his boys didn't get to go through that process and likely wants them to. It's a good process to go through, getting offers, seeing what's out there, feeling wanted etc., and if he goes somewhere else and plays, he can always easily come back now.... committing to another school just isn't what it used to be.

Also, I don't think it's out of the question that they announced this for Jack so he would get recruited by other schools all a long knowing he can still come to Iowa if he isn't feeling it. I think Fran also feels his boys didn't get to go through that process and likely wants them to. It's a good process to go through, getting offers, seeing what's out there, feeling wanted etc., and if he goes somewhere else and plays, he can always easily come back now.... committing to another school just isn't what it used to be.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Iowa will always be an option for him, especially if his dad is coaching. By coming out and stating he won't be at Iowa, it gives him a little space over the next year or two. Something his brothers never had. It also will allow other schools to legitimately recruit him. And if he does change his mind down the road, it might show Iowa fans that blueblood schools A and B offered him too. Leaning towards Iowa early would limit the ceiling of offers he would have received, in my opinion.

Ain't that the truth. I find it hard to see him finding his way to Iowa if he doesn't start out there only because as the yrs go by Frans time of being here will only be less. I mean we're talking 6 or 7 more yrs till his JR/Sr yr. right? Seems like an eternity in coaching. I'll be surprised if Fran is still at Iowa 5 yrs from now. If he is it'll be pleasantly so because that'll mean things are going well.

I tend to agree, but I remember Coach Tom Davis having measured success, and even making to the tournament his last year, and was not offered a contract. Never say never. But that being said, I hope that the new AD plays it smart and allows Fran to do what he needs to do. If he leaves, he leaves. Certainly, he has done enough to be allowed that.

Defensively, they were really bad last year and this year they are going to be worse. Fran wants to "outscore" people, but asking Perk, Pmac and Payton Sandfort to be lights out every game is a big ask with six new guys joining the roster.

JMac tweeted out today that he has received an offer from Wake Forest, coached by Lone Tree native and former Southwestern Community College coach Steve Forbes.

In an article written by Pat Harty of HawkFanatic in the last few days, Forbes should be on a short list of candidates for Iowa if Fran were to leave Iowa. He did state Fran has earned the right to coach at Iowa as long as he wants but it's always good to have a short list.
Forbes, Devries, and Jans would be on that short list. Regardless of this tragic accident I really didn't see Jack at Iowa. Just a gut feeling, but watch him be POY in Iowa and go to a blue blood.

Thing is, if it results in the death or serious injury or not, it should not be a misdemeanor. Either we're for law and order or we're not. To me it would be no different if he pulled the trigger on a gun. Period.
Totally off base and a terrible comparison.

Pulling a trigger on a gun isn’t even remotely analogous to driving down the street. Pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger shows an intent to harm at worst and recklessness at best.

The fact you’re saying a 16 year old kid driving a car—without intent to harm anyone—should be carte blanche treated the same as murder shows that 1) you never raised kids yourself, or 2) you’re just plain fucking stupid.

You strike me as the type whose dad whipped the shit out of you with a belt every time you screwed up, and as an adult now you think every kid should get beat by their dad just because you did. Welp, Jocko—just because your folks didn’t love you doesn’t mean we all have to be vengeful assholes.

Level 10 ignorance here; I hope for your family’s sake you were drunk when you posted that, because that’s not the kinda guy I’d I’d want to live with.

I’m glad you never made any mistakes as a teenager, because if you did you’d be in prison right now and how else would we get enlightened by your little nuggets of wisdom like this one? Because I’m sure you never did anything remotely as crazy as try to drive home after school, and I’m doubly sure you were paying 100%, full attention every second you were behind the wheel as a 16 year old.

Spare the Rod; spoil the child, eh? That’s definitely what the world needs—more dickheads who don’t understand youthful ignorance

1689328010021.jpeg

What an ignorant f’n take.

Last edited:
Thing is, if it results in the death or serious injury or not, it should not be a misdemeanor. Either we're for law and order or we're not. To me it would be no different if he pulled the trigger on a gun. Period.
It's not this black and white.... Not even close. I wasn't there I assume you weren't either. If the report is true it was an accident. Jack wasn't driving distracted or speeding. It's a dangerous multi lane intersection. Is a person that hits a deer guilty of a crime every time that happens? This was a jogger running out in front of him when he couldn't see till it was too late.

They are charging him with the misdemeanor aspect of his involvement. To compare this to the trigger pulling of a gun is just absurd.

What'll be interesting is if the McCafferys accept that and pay the fine or fight it. By doing so it would be admitting to fault and making it easier to prosecute them civilly. Which I anticipate will happen either way on if the family fights the charges or not. This isn't over in that regard at all.

Holy shit is that dumb. The law is what happened here, there was a thorough investigation. It’s high profile, lots of eye balls on it. If there was a charge they could pin on him, they would have. You’re the one who doesn’t want to follow law in your scenario and you truely are dumber than dirt

Last edited:

Latest posts