J Toussaint - R Lester comparison

revkev73

I am excited about J Toussaint bringing a different type of game to the Hawkeyes, something they have been lacking.

For anyone who has historical knowledge or insight, how does he compare coming out of high school to R. Lester, who was one of those, "Diamonds in the Rough" in a way of speaking, who made everyone else better around him.

And...I am talking about their reputation as high school recruits, not the finished products, which of course, is unknown at this point.

Interesting question. Although I'm very high on JT as well, I don't expect a lot from him this first year. It's a steep learning curve from high school to D1.

When Ronnie came out of high school, there wasn't nearly the media scrutiny on kids that there is now. I mean, did AAU ball even exist then?

From people I've talked with who have seen him play in Iowa City the player comparison they made was Tony Freeman. I'm not sure how accurate that is but I'm guessing that would be a more favorable player comp than as Rob said, arguably the best player in program history.

Tony was a terrific athlete and defender. His shot was clunky. Sounds like a reasonable comparison. I can safely say this young man will not even be a poor man's Ronnie Lester. And I will be thrilled to be proven wrong.

I was listening to Todd Brommelkamp and Alex on the radio last night. They interviewed either Mark Moorehouse or Chad Listikow last night, can't remember which. Anyway, I was happy to hear that they mentioned at the Iowa B-ball media day, they thought JT looked taller than what has been quoted. Said he looks to be more around 6'0".

I was listening to Todd Brommelkamp and Alex on the radio last night. They interviewed either Mark Moorehouse or Chad Listikow last night, can't remember which. Anyway, I was happy to hear that they mentioned at the Iowa B-ball media day, they thought JT looked taller than what has been quoted. Said he looks to be more around 6'0".

i've heard at least 6'1" this would be a huge bonus and would assuage my concern that he'd be too small.

I read the OP as he was asking a question on how Lester was comparable to Joe coming out of high school. He didn't compare them as college players. Heck he didn't even compare them at all. He just asked a question about how Lester was coming out of high school. Come on guys, step up your reading comprehension.

Ronnie Lester, when healthy, is arguably the best player in program history.

And I'm not even sure anyone is in the same discussion. He was a complete player on both ends with an incredibly high basketball IQ. He doesn't go down against Louisville, and there may be a Championship banner hanging in Carver. He was that good and playing that well at the end of that season.

It's like Shonn Greene running the ball, you always felt he got the absolute most yardage out of every run...made all the right cuts, etc. Ronnie Lester was like that on a basketball floor. He always made the right play.

Ronnie Lester, when healthy, is arguably the best player in program history.

I don't think it's even arguable. I was on campus when RL played, and I can't think of a player who comes close since. Maybe there could be an argument for somebody before him, I don't know.

I read the OP as he was asking a question on how Lester was comparable to Joe coming out of high school. He didn't compare them as college players. Heck he didn't even compare them at all. He just asked a question about how Lester was coming out of high school. Come on guys, step up your reading comprehension.
Thank you

Many were surprised at how good Lester became in college.

I am hoping the same for JT, that would be enough.

I am hoping his defensive intensity will be a watershed addition to the team's attitude about that tough and despised art called defense.

I am excited about J Toussaint bringing a different type of game to the Hawkeyes, something they have been lacking.

For anyone who has historical knowledge or insight, how does he compare coming out of high school to R. Lester, who was one of those, "Diamonds in the Rough" in a way of speaking, who made everyone else better around him.

And...I am talking about their reputation as high school recruits, not the finished products, which of course, is unknown at this point.

so, i see your point in the comparison from a recruiting "interest" stand point. but by his SR season, lester was averaging 27 per. no one is expecting JT to be that type of scorer. the expectation for lester was to be that type of scorer.

From wikipedia (i know, i know...but making stuff up on wikipedia is only a rumor, right?)

Lester started on the varsity team at Dunbar High School of the Chicago Public League as a 5'6" sophomore. In between his sophomore and junior year, Lester grew to 6'2". He averaged ten points and ten assists per game in his junior campaign.[2]

As a senior, Lester averaged 27.0 points per game, playing alongside teammate Ken Dancy, who was a future 1980 NBA draft pick.[2] Lester led the Dunbar Mighty-Men to the Chicago Public League Championship game, where they lost 75-60 to Morgan Park High School, with University of Illinois recruit Levi Cobb.[3][4]

At the beginning of his senior in high school, colleges had shown little interest, until Iowa and coach Lute Olson and then others began seeing his talents during his senior season. Olson was the first to recognize Lester's abilities and began recruiting him.[5][1]

"As a junior in high school, we had two 20-point scorers. I may have averaged 10 points that season because I needed to get them the ball," Lester said. "The next season those guys had left and I was scoring close to 25 points a game. Iowa was the first school to show a big interest in recruiting me," said Lester.

Latest posts