It's Time For Kris To Get Bohannon's Starting Spot

I will not hate on JBo, his class act with Chris Street and the FT record is undeniably a top moment for any hawkeye player in the history of Iowa athletics.
"Hate" and criticizing results are mutually exclusive.

That's the stupid attitude people get with Bohannon and it's honestly mind boggling. It's like you can't say anything about his production or else you all the sudden "hate the Hawks" or want them to lose, or you're calling Bohannon an POS....

Not true.

He's just not getting it done. Simple as that, no hate.

I'M Not Afraid GIF - Not Afraid Afraid Im Not Afraid - Discover & Share GIFs
Watched that movie yesterday with my kiddos on a snow day, the quote in the gif is wrong

"Hate" and criticizing results are mutually exclusive.

That's the stupid attitude people get with Bohannon and it's honestly mind boggling. It's like you can't say anything about his production or else you all the sudden "hate the Hawks" or want them to lose, or you're calling Bohannon an POS....

Not true.

He's just not getting it done. Simple as that, no hate.

Ah, do you see the parallel of this to how the political landscape is in our country now.

If one has a different opinion................................Buckle Up!! That's the mind frame in our society now and it sucks.

I frankly don't think we are all that far apart.

Most of us can acknowledge that JBO has been a great Hawk and we want him to find his groove again this season.

No one is arguing that JBO is playing awesome. I think most of us think he should probably not start and play less minutes.

I don't see too many folks saying he should not play at all.

Frankly, from my view, whether he starts or not, if he is not hitting his 3s at a 40% clip, his minutes should be pretty limited. I think he will have a hot game or two down the stretch, but it seems like forever since we have seen him hit 2-3 threes in a row.

Kris is playing much better - I am all for him playing more and starting. We just need Jordan too. That's my opinion - Iowa is going to need Jordan Bohannon this season. Saying Kris Murray is a better outside threat than Jordan is peak being caught in the moment but I can't argue that he's not been the same player the last 2 seasons. That doesn't change that he's still our best outside threat.

All of this is a moot point because I absolutely agree with you. I think Kris is head and tails a better player, with more upside, better skill set, better rebounder....over all just a much superior player. I am all for him playing more, I just think having a player like Jordan, who IMO, has got Iowa some key buckets at key times already this season is a good thing from a lot of different facets. I don't disagree that he should take a back seat - I just think they are gonna need him and he has a role on this team.

Kris is playing much better - I am all for him playing more and starting. We just need Jordan too. That's my opinion - Iowa is going to need Jordan Bohannon this season. Saying Kris Murray is a better outside threat than Jordan is peak being caught in the moment but I can't argue that he's not been the same player the last 2 seasons. That doesn't change that he's still our best outside threat.

All of this is a moot point because I absolutely agree with you. I think Kris is head and tails a better player, with more upside, better skill set, better rebounder....over all just a much superior player. I am all for him playing more, I just think having a player like Jordan, who IMO, has got Iowa some key buckets at key times already this season is a good thing from a lot of different facets. I don't disagree that he should take a back seat - I just think they are gonna need him and he has a role on this team.

I just want to see more of the Jbo we saw against Virginia. Btw, that game seems like it was a lifetime ago.

I have been noticing Fran is going longer with his starters, too long in my opinion. He seems to want to replace several players at once instead of one player who is struggling. Patrick has been struggling but seems to be getting a pass from fans while JBo is getting lit up. Fran is responsible for the minutes and sub patterns and he has been doing a not so great job of late. He clearly is favoring some players over others, I’m sure he has his reasons. I’ve said all year that Kris is far to talented to sit on the bench, Peyton also needs to be brought along but he seems to have been abandoned by Fran. Iowa only has two elite three point shooters, JBo and Peyton, possible Keegan and Kris in time. They have to play to make teams pay for double teaming Keegan. Nobody has seized the PG spot which is what I thought would happen and we won’t see that as a position of strength this season. It is frustrating watching Joe drive into the paint and pick up his dribble, burn the shot clock down and expect JBo to save him and make his own shot. It’s equally frustrating when JBo gets the pass and isn’t ready to shoot. JBo is still drawing defensive attention, unfortunately Joe, Ulis, or Perkins are not scaring anyone with their shooting and coaches are gonna take their chances with leaving them open.

I’ve been a JBo supporter/advocate for 5 years. But Kris should be starting and others should be getting his minutes. And it’s not like any of us are saying he should be kicked off the team. He can earn his minutes back.

33 minutes, 0-7 from the field, 0 rebounds.

This isn’t a slump anymore. Call it age, fatigue, wear and tear, losing interest, or whatever you want, but he’s not a player who should be getting significant minutes in P6 basketball games anymore. Teams have figured out that he’s not a threat, what does he bring to the table at this point?

This isn’t a slump anymore. Call it age, fatigue, wear and tear, losing interest, or whatever you want, but he’s not a player who should be getting significant minutes in P6 basketball games anymore. Teams have figured out that he’s not a threat, what does he bring to the table at this point?
Any other coach in the country would have it’s best product on the court
at this stage in the season but not Fran. The non-conference season IMO is designed to show the coach his product and prepare the team for conference play. Fran is without a doubt holding this team’s potential back. I’m 100% convinced of that and I’ve seen this result coming all year long.

I personally think Fran has selfishly put Perkins into a box and not utlized him they way he should and as a result Perkins plays like he’s walking on eggshells and wondering when he’ll be pulled. Kris M is a guy that should be seeing 20+ minutes a game.

This isn't even debatable anymore. JBO is hurting this teams chances to win and Fran is blind if he cannot see that. Fran keeps waiting for the light to come on, and maybe there will be a game where he nails 4 threes and Fran will tell himself how smart he was for sticking with him. But, just like Connor's miracle shooting night last night has not changed my opinion of him, one hot night with JBO won't change my thinking. There is a clear trendline with both of these guys. Without Garza, neither player brings much to the table. We needed these guys to feed Garza and for JBO to hit outside shots when Garza was double teamed. This is a different team. They need to sit.

Did have 5 assists... But yeah the guy is just done. For a team that plays uptempo puts up as many points as they do usually it's just weird that our guards don't do anything. We have 3 pgs pretty much and none of them can shoot. They can make FTs but that's about it. We don't have a real 2 guard that can do much either. I was hoping Perkins could but defense and hustle are his strengths and occasionally he can make a play in transition.

Having to rely on forwards for everything is tough even as good as the Murrays are. But heck how many times have they had good games at the same time? Not many. If this team squeaks into the dance now I'll be surprised. I have a tough time predicting a solid finish to this season but we'll see..

More Perkins, Ulis as well. What about Sandfort? isn't he supposed to be a real 3 point threat and 6'7" so he can get it off too. The chicken and the egg argument. Stay with Jbo cause he did things but the other guys haven't been given the chance to so you don't really know if they can. You recruited them on the team right, Fran? Goes to form that you recruit guys you think will help you and can do it or else you just took the only thing you can get. Think about them wanting a shot most likely but can't get it even when someone else in front is shitting the bed. That is when kids transfer.

Fran has to know when to ditch the loyalty thing as it can only go to a certain point. Jbo would admit it himself. If he doesn't want what is best for the team then the Chris Street record thing wouldn't have happened. Doubt he wants to look bad and let the team down even more. This is why I said it was better to have moved on from Jbo cause Fran will do it so it hurts the development of the team. Loyal and stubborn to the point of detriment.

Did have 5 assists... But yeah the guy is just done. For a team that plays uptempo puts up as many points as they do usually it's just weird that our guards don't do anything. We have 3 pgs pretty much and none of them can shoot. They can make FTs but that's about it. We don't have a real 2 guard that can do much either. I was hoping Perkins could but defense and hustle are his strengths and occasionally he can make a play in transition.

Having to rely on forwards for everything is tough even as good as the Murrays are. But heck how many times have they had good games at the same time? Not many. If this team squeaks into the dance now I'll be surprised. I have a tough time predicting a solid finish to this season but we'll see..
6 Years is a long time to be a D1 athlete and go to school full time. I know I wouldn't have probably lasted.

We're seeing it on the wrestling team as well. Most of the guys are in their 6th year and one is on his 7th. Last year was amazing, but it's almost like their getting worn out which is understandable. You can maintain a car as well as possible, but at some point the miles get to be too much.

Again, I'm meh on Bohannon and me wanting him to sit isn't because I don't like him. It's because I think you have to dish out minutes to guys who are going to score the most, play defense, and rebound the most. Yeah, slumps happen, but at some point you have to cut your losses.

Lost in all of this was CMac's shooting (4-7 from 3s). Move him to the 2 guard and give him JBo's minutes.

Ok - the 2nd sentence was sarcasm.

6 Years is a long time to be a D1 athlete and go to school full time. I know I wouldn't have probably lasted.

We're seeing it on the wrestling team as well. Most of the guys are in their 6th year and one is on his 7th. Last year was amazing, but it's almost like their getting worn out which is understandable. You can maintain a car as well as possible, but at some point the miles get to be too much.

Again, I'm meh on Bohannon and me wanting him to sit isn't because I don't like him. It's because I think you have to dish out minutes to guys who are going to score the most and rebound the most. Yeah, slumps happen, but at some point you have to cut your losses.
It's probably 90% mental as you've said. He's physically in better shape now then he was when he was playing with his hips hobbling 3-4 yrs ago or however long ago that was already. Part of it is also teams guard him different so his touches are fewer and farther inbetween now that he's playing the 2. Making it impossible to get in a flow for shooting. Whens the last time he hit 2 or 3 threes in a row in a short time frame? Never cause if/when he does hit one teams bears down on him more.

I'd say he's capable of playing well for a game here and there but that'd be about it. He's not going to have 3 games in a row where he has 12 plus points and plays well he's just not

I should throw in there the dynamic of this team being what it is. He played with a Tyler Cook and Garza most of his career. Team was inside out with bigs that got a lot of touches. He also had guys like Moss and Weiskamp who were shooters/scoring threats as well. We don't play that way now or have other scoring threats to worry about. Teams worry about the Murrays and that's about it for us now.

To shift the topic If CM didn't get hurt and kept nailing shots PSU woulda gladly took the L and just tipped their cap. The odds of what he did happening let alone continuing had to be less than zero. I was happy to see him have a great game. Sucks he got hurt.

Last edited: