It's Time For Kris To Get Bohannon's Starting Spot

Fryowa

Administrator
There's really no denying that Bohannon isn't working out this year. He's way down in every statistical category, and there are a lot of bench players putting up better numbers per minute played.

I get it that people have a nostalgic love for Bohannon and think he's built up a bank of entitled playing time for his service over the years, but 7 conference games is enough of a sample size. It's time for Fran to go with a little more of a stretched lineup and give Bohannon's spot to Murray. Below are B1g conference game stats per 40 minutes played. It allows comparison of two or more players who don't play equal minutes. Also show are win shares per 40 mins in conference games, which is universally accepted as a measure of importance to a team's overall play.

1642690064814.png

Beats him in every category if I'm reading that right. JBo must be losing profits in his NIL. I think he made 10.00 last week......maybe a buck and quarter this week?

I ran track in college and I can say with certainty that many athletes experience "senioritis." The grind of practices, classes, travel, body fatigue can all catch up to you. What was cool and exciting your first few years on campus can give way to apathy as you prepare for the next stage of your life. I cannot imagine how that feels in year 6.

JBO did not come back because of unfinished business or to help buddies that he has battled with for four years. He came back because he didn't have any more appealing options in front of him. I don't blame him, a year of major college hoops sounds better than selling insurance 40 hours a week. But, his lack of drive is clear.

I concur, Fry. Bring on Kris.

Yes it's time. Not only for this year but giving Kris more PT now will only help him going into next yr. Problem is Fran won't do it. It'd almost have to be JBos idea. And he won't anybody in his shoes wouldn't. He wants to play it out. Good of the team be damned...

I ran track in college and I can say with certainty that many athletes experience "senioritis." The grind of practices, classes, travel, body fatigue can all catch up to you. What was cool and exciting your first few years on campus can give way to apathy as you prepare for the next stage of your life. I cannot imagine how that feels in year 6.

JBO did not come back because of unfinished business or to help buddies that he has battled with for four years. He came back because he didn't have any more appealing options in front of him. I don't blame him, a year of major college hoops sounds better than selling insurance 40 hours a week. But, his lack of drive is clear.

I concur, Fry. Bring on Kris.

I can't dispute your point at all and can see that. Also, Bohannon is in his 6th year so I can see a real burn-out or just playing it out attitude. His health and body has legs on them now and he just doesn't seem to be all in on it like his younger years. I hate to say the effort is not there anymore as his body and age might not be letting him perform as well. Prob a combo of things but is evident his head might not be totally into it as his FT % has dropped over the years. This tells me his concentration isn't like it has been.

There's really no denying that Bohannon isn't working out this year. He's way down in every statistical category, and there are a lot of bench players putting up better numbers per minute played.

I get it that people have a nostalgic love for Bohannon and think he's built up a bank of entitled playing time for his service over the years, but 7 conference games is enough of a sample size. It's time for Fran to go with a little more of a stretched lineup and give Bohannon's spot to Murray. Below are B1g conference game stats per 40 minutes played. It allows comparison of two or more players who don't play equal minutes. Also show are win shares per 40 mins in conference games, which is universally accepted as a measure of importance to a team's overall play.

View attachment 8607

I would actually luv to see both Murray's on the floor at the same time to start the game. This to see how teams would scheme to defend both on the floor. To me, that would be a defensive mismatch and nightmare to scheme against.

Fran may get better production doing that then trying to stagger them to keep that athletic player frame on the floor all the time.

I ran track in college and I can say with certainty that many athletes experience "senioritis." The grind of practices, classes, travel, body fatigue can all catch up to you.
Happening right now to the wrestling team. Most guys are 6 yr seniors and one is a 7th year guy. Almost every one of them is in a brace or wrap of some sort and the team feels like it's falling apart at the seam.

Lee - out with 2 ACLs
DeSanto - Had a brace on his thumb for the past 2 years and out of the lineup at the moment
Eierman - Dinged up his arm vs Minnesotaw and was only swinging one arm as he left the arena. out of the lineup right now.
Young - wrestled his entire career a weight below his natural weight and he looks like he's completely gassed after the 2nd period
Marinelli - had knee/leg problems the last few years - took his brace off this year because it was a hinderance, but still banged up.
Kemerer - Only wrestled 3 matches so far against vastly inferior competition and has had a huge shoulder brace and sling on the past 2 years.

I would actually luv to see both Murray's on the floor at the same time to start the game. This to see how teams would scheme to defend both on the floor. To me, that would be a defensive mismatch and nightmare to scheme against.

Fran may get better production doing that then trying to stagger them to keep that athletic player frame on the floor all the time.
People need to get over Bohannon.

I get the love some people have and I also get the "no-love." I'm in the middle. He's definitely scored a buttload of points and made clutch threes several times, but I'm at a point where I'm ready for him to move on. Not because I hate the kid, but because it's been long enough and then we'll finally not have to hear the banter back in forth between the fanboys and the haters. It's just a big distraction.

And...I don't think it's arguable at this point. He's not adding anything to this team that other players with more need for minutes aren't already doing a better job of. Connor IMO has done a great job of being a big time leader from the bench. Bohannon should do the same.

Fran probably thinks Jbo will work his way out of this funk would be my guess. Kris had a great game against Indiana, but he along with the rest of the bench against Rutgers was no help on the offensive side. Just seems like Fran and Kirk are going go with the starters they have selected and unless you are hurt or absolutely horrendous( see Joe T/ CMac for example). On a different note, as this Hawk team moves forward, we are going to see more teams willing to not guard Joe T, Perkins, C Mac, Ulis and double Keegan. I don't see them willing to let Jbo yet go unguarded on the perimeter. He still has other teams concerned he will hurt them from deep.

People need to get over Bohannon.

I get the love some people have and I also get the "no-love." I'm in the middle. He's definitely scored a buttload of points and made clutch threes several times, but I'm at a point where I'm ready for him to move on. Not because I hate the kid, but because it's been long enough and then we'll finally not have to hear the banter back in forth between the fanboys and the haters. It's just a big distraction.

And...I don't think it's arguable at this point. He's not adding anything to this team that other players with more need for minutes aren't already doing a better job of. Connor IMO has done a great job of being a big time leader from the bench. Bohannon should do the same.

This is exactly where I am. I am indifferent as far as an opinion on this. When I'm watching the game, I'm not one cussing at the TV because he's in the game. I let the game play out. I also realize when he's not hitting 3's, Iowa is probably losing net points in the game with a deficit defending. Last night, for example, he was off as he air-balled a couple attempts. Rutgers is apparently and excellent team at defense, so maybe this was a game he shouldn't have gotten that many minutes. Maybe go with an more athletic unit.

To me, JoBo's gotta hit 3-4 3's a game to break even or take an advantage in net points for the team in a game. He also has a role to be in the game late if the other team is fouling at the end.

Fran probably thinks Jbo will work his way out of this funk would be my guess. Kris had a great game against Indiana, but he along with the rest of the bench against Rutgers was no help on the offensive side. Just seems like Fran and Kirk are going go with the starters they have selected and unless you are hurt or absolutely horrendous( see Joe T/ CMac for example). On a different note, as this Hawk team moves forward, we are going to see more teams willing to not guard Joe T, Perkins, C Mac, Ulis and double Keegan. I don't see them willing to let Jbo yet go unguarded on the perimeter. He still has other teams concerned he will hurt them from deep.

Valid point. Nice post.

I am happy that at least some other posters understand that Jordan also demands attention because he's the all time 3 point leader, which opens up other players because of said threat. I also believe he will work out of the funk but let's not forget that this is a little different role for Jordan. He's had the ball in his hands his entire career, that's completely different then playing the 2 and scoring out of that position is completely different. I didn't expect to win last night, so I don't really feel the need to overhaul what is turning out to be a pretty decent Iowa team.

Last edited:
Its not us that needs to get over JBO. We don't make this decision. I hate the JBO hate on this board and think he is clearly an all-time great Hawk and I will have nothing but fond memories of his time here. But, my eyes don't lie. If JBO is not hitting 40%+ from 3 point land, he brings no value to this team except end of game management.

Fran is not an idiot, and he is not inflexible. Most of all he hates to lose. He isn't forcing Connor onto the court beyond what his body/skills can do. He has changed starting line-ups and minutes in the past when warranted. I am sure he loves Jordan, but I think he will see that the time has come.

This is not to say that JBO is put on ice. He can still play a big role off the bench as a fresh legged assassin. Maybe a benching will wake him up. Maybe defensive won't key on him as much. A JBO with fresh legs that is hitting his shots down the stretch maybe the difference between this team fizzling out or making a run. Either way, it aint working now. Make the change.

I am happy that at least some other posters understand that Jordan also demands attention because he's the all time 3 point leader, which opens up other players because of said threat. I also believe he will work out of the funk but let's not forget that this is a little different role for Jordan. He's had the ball in his hands his entire career, that's completely different then playing the 2 and scoring out of that position is completely different. I didn't expect to win last night, so I don't really feel the need overhaul what is turning out to be a pretty decent Iowa team.
Good point on him being in a new role. It is totally different when you're used to handling the ball all the time as opposed to playing off of it. We have such a unique lineup. Basically with 2 PGs and 3 forwards. Rebraca isn't a center he just has to guard them. And Murray isn't really a 4 man either he's a 3 guarding 4s. Offensively we present challenges to teams with it but defensively/rebounding we can struggle as we've seen much of the year. However last night was the opposite. We couldn't throw it in the ocean. Shot selection was poor too much waiting to the end of the shot clock and yet defense was good.

On the road against good teams that can happen once in a while especially in this league. How they bounce back will be interesting. Lots of guys will want to have better games. Including the entire bench. I'm sure they'll be challenged in practice today...

I am happy that at least some other posters understand that Jordan also demands attention because he's the all time 3 point leader, which opens up other players because of said threat. I also believe he will work out of the funk but let's not forget that this is a little different role for Jordan. He's had the ball in his hands his entire career, that's completely different then playing the 2 and scoring out of that position is completely different. I didn't expect to win last night, so I don't really feel the need overhaul what is turning out to be a pretty decent Iowa team.

Haha!! How long you giving Jbo to break out of this funk? When the talent and Big Ten games ratchet up he disappears. Jbo is a plug n play bench player. If he is shooting well yup play him but last night he was HORRIBLE!

I agree Iowa is a decent team, but the fact is Fran an idiot and holding this team back. Iowa is a NCAA tournament team if only could put aside is stubbornness to players like Jbo and Connor. Minute distribution the last 2 games has been atrocious!!

You didn’t expect to win last night? That was a VERY WINNABLE GAME!!! Rutgers team isn’t very good..

I'M Not Afraid GIF - Not Afraid Afraid Im Not Afraid - Discover & Share GIFs

Ghost Cartoon Faces - Vector Clipart Ghost Faces

Give me the ball, Coach

I'm Ready to Play

Haha!! How long you giving Jbo to break out of this funk? When the talent and Big Ten games ratchet up he disappears. Jbo is a plug n play bench player. If he is shooting well yup play him but last night he was HORRIBLE!

I agree Iowa is a decent team, but the fact is Fran an idiot and holding this team back. Iowa is a NCAA tournament team if only could put aside is stubbornness to players like Jbo and Connor. Minute distribution the last 2 games has been atrocious!!

You didn’t expect to win last night? That was a VERY WINNABLE GAME!!! Rutgers team isn’t very good..
It is possible Jbo could be playing with an injury/soreness we know nothing about. I guess you could argue well then he shouldn't be out there but at this level and in this league guys try to play thru it. I'm not talking about a serious injury but maybe he has soreness in a wrist, shoulder, knee. Might explain those missed FTs because he's usually money from the line.