It's MAC time

Nebraska has playing time to sell and they flip a 4 star receiver from Ohio State. Iowa has playing time to sell and they flip MAC recruits. I guess it's kind of okay if we keep beating them, but it still feels like we don't even try for the nice big apples higher up in the tree.

Last edited:
Our best offensive player this year had 1 other offer...Temple. Our best defensive player Desmond King, had several more offers but the majority of them were from, you guessed it, MAC schools.
That way does not create depth.YOU need many quailty players.TWO future nflers need depth HELP NO ?

We offered one MAC RB. Right now we are busy battling with the likes of OSU, MSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Pitt, Auburn, and the rest of the B1G for these guys:

Oliver Martin (WR)
Thomas Johnston (LB)
Kyshaun Bryan (RB)
Ihmir Marsette (WR)
Kurt Rafdal (TE)
Jonathan Lovett (RB)
Trey Creamer (DB)
Davion Johnson (RB)

I'm sure we are going to miss on some of these, and that is when the MAC raiding will begin, or the offers out to Wieland and Soko could/would happen.

We offered one MAC RB. Right now we are busy battling with the likes of OSU, MSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Pitt, Auburn, and the rest of the B1G for these guys:

Oliver Martin (WR)
Thomas Johnston (LB)
Kyshaun Bryan (RB)
Ihmir Marsette (WR)
Kurt Rafdal (TE)
Jonathan Lovett (RB)
Trey Creamer (DB)
Davion Johnson (RB)

I'm sure we are going to miss on some of these, and that is when the MAC raiding will begin, or the offers out to Wieland and Soko could/would happen.

Soko is surprising to me. From what I've seen, (on highlights so take it with a grain of salt) he seems like a guy who could compete in a couple years. I thought he would get offered for sure after Eno left. But we haven't offered him yet.

That way does not create depth.YOU need many quailty players.TWO future nflers need depth HELP NO ?
We have recruited and gotten guys with good offers too. Is recruiting exactly where I want it? No. But for a fan base in the middle of the country who is coming off of 20 wins in 2 seasons, we sure complain a lot. Yes I want us to be better, and I think the changes on the offensive side of the ball will help both in recruiting and actual game play. I just don't get all this negative doom and gloom stuff. It's not like we are only winning 3 games every year. It's ok to want more, but some of you guys act like the entire program is on fire.

We have recruited and gotten guys with good offers too. Is recruiting exactly where I want it? No. But for a fan base in the middle of the country who is coming off of 20 wins in 2 seasons, we sure complain a lot. Yes I want us to be better, and I think the changes on the offensive side of the ball will help both in recruiting and actual game play. I just don't get all this negative doom and gloom stuff. It's not like we are only winning 3 games every year. It's ok to want more, but some of you guys act like the entire program is on fire.

What does middle of the country have anything to do with it? What changes on the offensive side of the ball are you talking about, BF getting hired? Signing day is less than 2 weeks away and we still have 6 to 7 spots to fill up. I understand we'll get a few, and we'll lose a few, but my main concern is it seems like we can't close the deal on our top targets, that is what is concerning to me. Martin in particular. But we'll see, if they commit to Iowa, I'll be the first to tip my hat to those guys.

Ladies and gentlemen. I give you the power of peer pressure. From hating fluff pieces to writing them.

Not even close. My thread about "fluff pieces" revolved around my belief and observance that there was no critical thinking involved in the "anointment" of BF by writers on this site....that alternative arguments and downside risk wasn't even mention.

What I stated concerning MAC players is fact. There are a MULTITUDE of MAC players on NFL rosters and a large handful of them are playing and are major contributors on playoff teams....that can't be disputed. As such, I'm applying critical thinking skills in my observance that poaching high quality MAC commits can be beneficial, given the right player(s).

You apply ZERO critical thinking to your analysis....you simply say "MAC bad".

Last edited:
What does middle of the country have anything to do with it? What changes on the offensive side of the ball are you talking about, BF getting hired? Signing day is less than 2 weeks away and we still have 6 to 7 spots to fill up. I understand we'll get a few, and we'll lose a few, but my main concern is it seems like we can't close the deal on our top targets, that is what is concerning to me. Martin in particular. But we'll see, if they commit to Iowa, I'll be the first to tip my hat to those guys.
I think it's fair to be concerned, and if we miss on most of our top targets, I to, will be very worried about the future of this program.
Yes, BF being hired is an upgrade over Davis and his enthusiasm will hopefully help in recruiting.
And yes, recruiting to Iowa City is not easy. I'm sorry, it's true. Our boring offenses haven't helped much either, especially when it comes to getting wide receivers. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's harder to recruit to Iowa than it is many other places that either can sell warm weather, have a much larger pool to draw from (players closer to home), or have national championship pedigree.
I'm not a full apologist, I'm just saying let's give it a couple of weeks to see how it all plays out.

I think it's fair to be concerned, and if we miss on most of our top targets, I to, will be very worried about the future of this program.
Yes, BF being hired is an upgrade over Davis and his enthusiasm will hopefully help in recruiting.
And yes, recruiting to Iowa City is not easy. I'm sorry, it's true. Our boring offenses haven't helped much either, especially when it comes to getting wide receivers. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's harder to recruit to Iowa than it is many other places that either can sell warm weather, have a much larger pool to draw from (players closer to home), or have national championship pedigree.
I'm not a full apologist, I'm just saying let's give it a couple of weeks to see how it all plays out.

We'll know soon enough DJL.

I would love to see a complete list of fallback offers for 2012 through 2015. Fallback offers aren't simply the low rated guys (like Jewel) who end up in the class but the guys we offer and snag in January (like King and CJB). I would look up myself if I knew how to.

I do not know if this is relevent to this discussion but I was fascinated to see that Rutgers, for goodness sakes, has a far greater number of players who will play in the Super Bowl than any of the big powers.

I do not know if this is relevent to this discussion but I was fascinated to see that Rutgers, for goodness sakes, has a far greater number of players who will play in the Super Bowl than any of the big powers.
Stop hijacking the thread brah...just a gentle reminder.

Nebraska has playing time to sell and they flip a 4 star receiver from Ohio State. Iowa has playing time to sell and they flip MAC recruits. I guess it's kind of okay if we keep beating them, but it still feels like we don't even try for the nice big apples higher up in the tree.
How many "BCS" bowl games by Nebraska in the last 10 years?
I will take our coaching three star kids any day.

How many "BCS" bowl games by Nebraska in the last 10 years?
I will take our coaching three star kids any day.
So you're telling me it wouldn't feel good to flip a 4star WR recruit from Ohio State?

But that is a stupid question, because this staff couldn't do it if their lives depended on it.

Last edited:
Hawkeyes offer Michigan RB Davion Johnson, a Miami-OH commit n.rivals.com/content/prospe…

And he said "no thanks" - it appears that the $75 million coach struggles to relate--maybe the UI can hire a PR firm again. I'm thinking that there is a perception problem and it is mainly with the more "urban" recruits.

Latest posts