Its comforting to find a little common sense regarding ISU/Expansion

There's a lot of rivalry smack being thrown about...some of it is vitriol but most is just tweeking the other side...but make no mistake, if Iowa was in the same situation, it would make Cyclone fans' millennium and the blow back would be 10x what Hawk fans are spouting...and most of it would be heartfelt, not rivalry trash talking.

There's a lot of rivalry smack being thrown about...some of it is vitriol but most is just tweeking the other side...but make no mistake, if Iowa was in the same situation, it would make Cyclone fans' millennium and the blow back would be 10x what Hawk fans are spouting...and most of it would be heartfelt, not rivalry trash talking.

Agreed, if the shoe was on the other foot we Hawk fans wouldn't be hearing the end of it.

I blame Pollard for much of the Clone vitriol. Iowa-Iowa State has been a pretty good rivalry; despite some good-natured ribbing and some hard hits on the field (or the hardwood), it remained fairly gentlemanly. That changed with Pollard's antics. I don't recall it going the other way from Iowa city.

I blame Pollard for much of the Clone vitriol. Iowa-Iowa State has been a pretty good rivalry; despite some good-natured ribbing and some hard hits on the field (or the hardwood), it remained fairly gentlemanly. That changed with Pollard's antics. I don't recall it going the other way from Iowa city.

Well, that and the internet/messageboards.

There is thread on Cyclone Fanatic about that column, and I'll agree that it's just like everything else Hlas writes in that it's very well done.

That being said, there have been threads in the past on that board ripping Hlas, so it is somewhat ironic.

Messageboards make up a very small percentage of any fan base, and the platform that we have as fans is much different than the forum that someone like Pollard has.

Oh, absolutely. But messageboards have definitely contributed to the vitriol, especially considering most of the true, high-level rival-hate is among the younger crowd (which by default is more likely to have more internet fan interaction).

I totally agree with this.

He upped the ante, and that is what he wanted. Well, he got it. He definitely fired up both sides of the equation - clownation and Iowa fan.

Shoulda fixed some of the crumbling concrete around hilton instead of putting up billboards.

What's amusing in some of these replies is a genuine belief by some that there is some sort of qualitative difference between ISU and Iowa fans. That is some serious self delusion. Proclamations that the reactions would be any different if the situations were reversed...are ludicrous. Iowa and ISU fans are identical in every way but one....that one being their teams of preference.

Messageboards make up a very small percentage of any fan base, and the platform that we have as fans is much different than the forum that someone like Pollard has.

There is a huge difference between season ticket buying fans and message board fans. When at the game I have had mostly positive encounters with all fans, but on message boards it is more of a jersey shore deal with r-tards beating their chest and being idiots.

What's amusing in some of these replies is a genuine belief by some that there is some sort of qualitative difference between ISU and Iowa fans. That is some serious self delusion. Proclamations that the reactions would be any different if the situations were reversed...are ludicrous. Iowa and ISU fans are identical in every way but one....that one being their teams of preference.

I'll respectfully disagree, Mesa...the people are the same, the fans are not. If the fans were the same, Iowa fans wouldn't call ISU "Little Brother" and Clone fans wouldn't call Iowa fans "arrogant"...we're all the same, but the attitude and pride separates us...in this segment of our lives.

If you don't think ISU fan would be absolutely ******** themselves with glee, you are seriously delusional.

There would be no talk of ISU using the BOR to try to help Iowa.

season tix since childhood. And I am happy this is happening to ISU can't stand em and never will. I hope they go away. FOr those of you eastern Iowa fans who haven't a clue how horrible cylone fans could be don't realize because of the hawkeye bubble.
Growing up in north central iowa was very unpleasant with this rivalry. SOmthing Hlas hasn't a clue about living in eastern iowa.

Even funnier (or more tragic), is that that one little difference is so randomly assigned. Someone on here (well, the old HN, anyway), referred to one's primary, life-long sports allegiance as the "random geographic birth lottery," or something like that. And it's pretty much true. Chance largely determines on which side of the divide we fall - where our parents happened to go to school, where we happened to grow up, to which team we happened to be exposed first, etc. There is no right or wrong side or inherent superiority/inferiority with falling into either camp. It's really all quite silly and absurd. And great and fun, too.

The only reason I'm happy this is happening is because if ISU does move to the MWC then Iowa will clean up the instate recruiting even more then they do now in football and probably will in basketball as well, ask a 16 or 17 year old recruit do you want to play ball in the Big Ten or the MWC?

The only reason I'm happy this is happening is because if ISU does move to the MWC then Iowa will clean up the instate recruiting even more then they do now in football and probably will in basketball as well, ask a 16 or 17 year old recruit do you want to play ball in the Big Ten or the MWC?

That's possible, but you can bet Nebraska will be a bigger presence in the state as well assuming they get the call.

Also, the MWC is a pretty good league as far as basketball is concerned, and would get exponentially better if they added KU, KSU, and ISU.