It sucks being irrelevant this weekend

BSpringsteen

The best weekend of CFB and we're largely irrelevant. 3 Big Ten teams at 10-1, and we're not one of them.

I know that's why we play the games, and that the ball bounces in mysterious ways. But this sucks.

Really hard not to look back at what could have been knowing we could have been.

Hope for better things next year and at least a positive end to the season tomorrow.

Yeah, It stung listening to the announcers today going over the Big Ten/Rose Bowl scenarios and not hearing about the Hawks. Who would of thunk it at the beginning of the season? I thought 8-4 would have been the worst case scenario. Now I am hoping for 8-4.

Yeah, It stung listening to the announcers today going over the Big Ten/Rose Bowl scenarios and not hearing about the Hawks. Who would of thunk it at the beginning of the season? I thought 8-4 would have been the worst case scenario. Now I am hoping for 8-4.

It hurts, but honestly, would 9-4 with a victory over an SEC opponent be THAT disappointing? I know people will say that potential like this year only comes around once in a blue moon for Iowa, but honestly, Ferentz has produced enough 9-10 win teams in his tenure for me to trust that he'll rebuild this team in the near future.

Just look at Alabama--pretty much the same story as Iowa. Lots of talent, but the ball didn't bounce their way, so they lost a lot of close games. We -- and Alabama -- still have very, very good football teams.

Let's kick the crap out of Minny tomorrow like we all know is possible. Go Hawks!

It hurts, but honestly, would 9-4 with a victory over an SEC opponent be THAT disappointing? I know people will say that potential like this year only comes around once in a blue moon for Iowa, but honestly, Ferentz has produced enough 9-10 win teams in his tenure for me to trust that he'll rebuild this team in the near future.

Just look at Alabama--pretty much the same story as Iowa. Lots of talent, but the ball didn't bounce their way, so they lost a lot of close games. We -- and Alabama -- still have very, very good football teams.

Let's kick the crap out of Minny tomorrow like we all know is possible. Go Hawks!
Like I told one of my buddies at work. I like being able to say that 8-4 is a disappointing year. That being said, it sucks with the hype we had, but there are years (last year) when the opposite happens.

All I want, the only barometer for success I will have is to go into thanksigivng weekend next year playing for the west. Even if we need outside help, so be it. I just want to be playing for the west next year at this time.

Go into the final week of the season playing for your conference or division championship - that is a successful season.

All I want, the only barometer for success I will have is to go into thanksigivng weekend next year playing for the west.
Go into the final week of the season playing for your conference or division championship - that is a successful season.

I love newbie fans and there entitled ideas as what is considered success for Iowa football. How old are some of these people anway?

If you have been paying attention to Iowa football for more than just a few minutes you would realize that these are great days to an Iowa fan.

What we are experiencing now is an aberration in the history of Iowa football in terms of winning. To define success on this standard outlined above is reflective of the 'entertain me now' generation with NO understanding of historical perspective. If Iowa finishes 8-4 and goes to a bowl it is a helluva of a good year. Period.

I think we've become spoiled. When 8 or 9 win seasons seem like a disappointment, that is when you know your program is pretty good. No matter how you feel right now, everyone needs to hope Iowa wins tomorrow and then in their bowl game. It will be a nice springboard for next years team. Either way, I just wish their was some way for KOK to get fired or a way to simply change this offense. It's too predictable.

I love newbie fans and there entitled ideas as what is considered success for Iowa football. How old are some of these people anway?

If you have been paying attention to Iowa football for more than just a few minutes you would realize that these are great days to an Iowa fan.

What we are experiencing now is an aberration in the history of Iowa football in terms of winning. To define success on this standard outlined above is reflective of the 'entertain me now' generation with NO understanding of historical perspective. If Iowa finishes 8-4 and goes to a bowl it is a helluva of a good year. Period.

I'm sorry but this argument is a total crock of sh*t. Sorry Grandpa that I wasn't a Hawk fan in 1974. Do you hear people in Minnesota talking about how their football program was a pwoerhouse in the 1960's for why they should be one now?

8-4 is a good year, but not a great year.

Seriously, this argument that this is as good as it can get for Iowa boggles my mind.

ps. I am 31 years old and had the pleasure of having the following records while I was enrolled at Iowa: 7-5, 3-8, 1-10, 3-8, 7-5 so don't tell me I am a now generation self entitled whatever. What I am is a fan that doesn't understand the inferiority complex that seems to hamstring a lot of Iowa fans.

Last edited:
I don't like the historical perspective argument much either. In college football your active players turn over every four years. So talking about decades ago is really pretty moot. The disappointment this year stems from the fans' perception that the Iowa coaching staff did not do enough to limit the negative impact of the team's weakspots, nor fully take advantage of the team's strengths. Just way too much crossing their fingers and hoping it would be different this time instead of creative scheming.

That should have nothing to do with whomever was coaching the Hawks in the 60's.

I'm sorry but this argument is a total crock of sh*t. Sorry Grandpa that I wasn't a Hawk fan in 1974. Do you hear people in Minnesota talking about how their football program was a pwoerhouse in the 1960's for why they should be one now?

8-4 is a good year, but not a great year.

Seriously, this argument that this is as good as it can get for Iowa boggles my mind.

ps. I am 31 years old and had the pleasure of having the following records while I was enrolled at Iowa: 7-5, 3-8, 1-10, 3-8, 7-5 so don't tell me I am a now generation self entitled whatever. What I am is a fan that doesn't understand the inferiority complex that seems to hamstring a lot of Iowa fans.

I'm with you, BSpringsteen. I'm 58, and I lived through all of those bad years in the 60's and 70's. So, as you might imagine, I love what KF has done and have enjoyed both the Fry era and now the Ferentz years. But I sure would like to have a few more Big 10 titles and at least a crack at greater glory. I thought this might be one of those rare years when we get that shot - but no, it all kinda fell apart. I hope Iowa guts MN today and wins a nice little bowl game, but you're right - it does suck that we're irrelevant this weekend.

Furthermore, I like the Boss, too.

Yeah, I hear you. This game has zero Big 10 meaning, and zero BCS meaning. The two things that we were SUPPOSED to fight for this year.

We blew all the chances, with the one of the most talented Hawkeye teams to date.

Thanks coaches. Appreciate it.

Yeah, I hear you. This game has zero Big 10 meaning, and zero BCS meaning. The two things that we were SUPPOSED to fight for this year.

We blew all the chances, with the one of the most talented Hawkeye teams to date.

Most disappointing season in KF era, and it's not even close. Plus, I have to live with Badger fans every day, so it burns even more.

I'm listening to the radio broadcast on the way back to Wisconsin, and I'm OK with that. That's how irrelevant today's game is.

Most disappointing season in KF era, and it's not even close. Plus, I have to live with Badger fans every day, so it burns even more.

I'm listening to the radio broadcast on the way back to Wisconsin, and I'm OK with that. That's how irrelevant today's game is.
Yeah, I grew up 30min from Prarie Du Chien, and my dads a salesman and travels the that area of Wisconsin so he hears it all the time, as do I when I am home and go to Prarie.

Most annoying fans.

Love the necessary cheap shot at the coaches (sarcasm). Guess I misread the line above it where you said "one of the most talented Hawkeye teams to date". Not calling you out or disagreeing with you, but find it sad that if this was one of the most talented Hawkeye teams to date, you'd put it all on the coaches and nothing on the players.

I get sick of hearing this. When you have the talent to win 11-13 games, an 8-9 win season IS a dissappointment. Do I expect 10 wins every year? Certainly not. But do I expect it when we have the talent to do so? Is that really even a question?

And since when was 30 years of winning an abberation?

Nobody is defining success for every season as 10+ wins. If this team had say the 2007 roster, 8-4 would be fantastic in my book. But this team DOESN'T have the 2007 roster.

Latest posts