It sounds Tim Lester is the guy.

I am of the belief that just because Lester has an RPO background, it won't be a main staple of the offense at Iowa. It might be mixed in for a few plays with the right personnel (Lainez, Reasor) but it won't be a primary part of the game plan. IMO, it strays too far from the KF offensive brand, for better or worse.

KF let Davis run a different offense than KOK. Much different. Brian went with what he knew. KOK's offense.

Lester will have leeway to implement changes.

I am just glad we will have an actual QB coach for the first time in a while.

I don't mind and would keep the bubble passes. I used to cringe every time we ran it because it looks so busy and dangerous, but I don't think it really is after all. There is a designed blocking to it to create running lanes which is much better than just passing laterally to a WR to try to get some yards. It is completely different and the bubble play is a legit designed play with a purpose. We have seen many times in the past success running it so the risk vs reward has proven to be worth it with that play. I would keep that one in the arsenal as it can provide some good plays and cross up defenses with numbers.

It looks like shit when we run it because the DBs are 2 yards away and playing on their toes. We have never had a counterpunch to punish defenses from playing that way. What Lester runs definitely can punish the D for playing up like that, but it still requires decent WRs and QB. I am hoping his scheme (if he is allowed to implement it) can make our passing game components look competent.

I disagree. There is a massive relationship between QB play and OL play (and setting aside an untalented OC). For the past three seasons we have had completely immobile QBs who are not particularly accurate throwers down the field. They could not scramble and had terrible pocket presence. So, every defense was putting 8 men in the box and bringing them downhill because there was no risks behind them. I don't care how good a line you have, there is just one too many to block on nearly every play.

I have also seen improvement in this line over the last two years. It is not evident from the stat sheet, but we were getting push up front on running plays even with stacked boxes. Hill had time to throw a decent amount of times if he could just move around.

Next year, if Cade or Lainez are healthy, this OL will do its job and the offense will be average. If Hill is back there, the OL will continue to appear to underperform (but they would still look better than this past year). The OL's job is to block, but who they are blocking for is pretty damn critical.

BTW, I would lay money that at least 3 OL that will start this year will get drafted at some point, and the other two will get camp opportunities. Tell me I am wrong.

You may be right about the future.
Folks on here have been saying our OL 'will be better next year' for several years now. Maybe next year it will happen.
I'll stand with my opinion that the OL of the last three years has been abysmal despite Kirk's reputation.

Well, the line did just gain a 5* top lineman in the country with 14 freshman started at LT on Alabama's line. That's a pretty big reason for optimism. The RS comes off another 4* OT big recruit and big boy, Trevor Lauk.

The only seat hotter than Barnett's is Old Sparky.

KF let Davis run a different offense than KOK. Much different. Brian went with what he knew. KOK's offense.

Lester will have leeway to implement changes.

I am just glad we will have an actual QB coach for the first time in a while.
You might be right and time will tell. Chad Liestekow has an interesting piece on this subject today.

Agree on having a real QB coach.

You might be right and time will tell. Chad Liestekow has an interesting piece on this subject today.

Agree on having a real QB coach.
Given that a lot of folks here were predicting that KF would just elevate someone on the staff or the like, this could have been a lot worse. Personally, I wanted a guy who coached QBs (and its a bonus to me that he was a college QB himself) and who had multiple years as a play caller. He checks both boxes for me. Time will tell if he is up to this reclamation project.

Given that a lot of folks here were predicting that KF would just elevate someone on the staff or the like, this could have been a lot worse. Personally, I wanted a guy who coached QBs (and its a bonus to me that he was a college QB himself) and who had multiple years as a play caller. He checks both boxes for me. Time will tell if he is up to this reclamation project.

He checks the boxes for me as well. Iowa still has the pieces for a power run game but now with more options in the offense that cause confusion.

I think the only question now is if he can improve Iowa's recruiting and get better players at our skill positions. I hope Iowa doesn't have a scarlet letter and/or if they do he can help peel that off a bit. He needs to sell is offense to recruits.

Last edited:
Yup he absolutely checks those boxes which are huge. What I find a bit ironic though is that KFs own words he used were in looking for OCs was Win Loss records... (Excuse for overlooking how bad BF was if you ask me) Lester doesn't check that box very well not at the D1 level at all. None of which means he'll be bad or good. Just is what it is and time will tell.

If Iowa has an offense in the top 50 the next 2 seasons Lester will be in line for every HC job out there kind of like Ben Johnson in Detroit. No one wanted Ben Johnson either before he fixed Detriots offense. I'm willing to give him at least a season before I decide whether this is a good hire or not.

It's the same tweet I just wanted everyone to see who tweeted it out.
mRBZcC0.png

UEcuxoA.png

I listened to the interview. I give Dolph credit for asking it. It was not uplifting to hear. But, again, I'm taking the wait-and-see approach.

If protecting the ball is non-negotiable, then why was there no change in OC or QB made last year after we gave the ball away all season long like it was candy on Christmas? Is it non-negotiable for everyone, or just for non blood relatives?

If Iowa has an offense in the top 50 the next 2 seasons Lester will be in line for every HC job out there kind of like Ben Johnson in Detroit. No one wanted Ben Johnson either before he fixed Detriots offense. I'm willing to give him at least a season before I decide whether this is a good hire or not.
I would be a little bit fairer and say at least two seasons. I know we are all burnt out from the last three seasons, but let's give the new OC time to get his philosophy instilled into the offense.

Even so I predict a B1G improvement next season.

I would be a little bit fairer and say at least two seasons. I know we are all burnt out from the last three seasons, but let's give the new OC time to get his philosophy instilled into the offense.

Even so I predict a B1G improvement next season.
Iowa is going to be favored in 10+ games this season and that was before we hired an OC.

If protecting the ball is non-negotiable, then why was there no change in OC or QB made last year after we gave the ball away all season long like it was candy on Christmas? Is it non-negotiable for everyone, or just for non blood relatives?
Kirk was on a mission to prove Beth Geotz wrong, but all Kirk ended up doing was proving how right she was in the first place.

It's painfully obvious now without any doubt what so ever that Brian needed to fired and should have been gone not only before the bowl, not only by October, but actually before the season even started.

Iowa is going to be favored in 10+ games this season and that was before we hired an OC.

But Phil has to be absolutely perfect and in every game. He can't have any issues with attrition in any part of his unit he coaches, which is bound to happen on occasion in college football. This is too much pressure he doesn't deserve. Iowa needs to better an offense that has been horrifically bad the past 3 years.