It sounds Tim Lester is the guy.

Don't take it as gospel. That said, results wise, this is a pretty shitty hire.....the best he could do in 90 days?

I will say this though....FryIowa maybe right in this sense.......Kirk may not have been able to get anyone worth a damn for this main reason:

1. Kirk has probably 2 years left max, and the new coach is going to clean house leaving the OC high and dry.

I will add 2 more possibilities:

2. What quality OC wants to work for a micro-manager head coach and coming into Iowa's situation of terrible offense and the focus on defense and punting?

3. Was Iowa prepared to pay top dollar for said quality OC?

1. Kirk has probably 2 years left max, and the new coach is going to clean house leaving the OC high and dry. That's entirely possible. I'd say 3 years. The new landscape has to be exhausting, unlimited free agency...KF tries to get buy in and retain his players but that may not work out.

I will add 2 more possibilities:

2. What quality OC wants to work for a micro-manager head coach and coming into Iowa's situation of terrible offense and the focus on defense and punting? oh boy I think this is the key issue - his stubborn backwards views.. reluctance to embrace offense has cost him more than a couple of ball games...its cost him his reputation. In an interview last Summer Brian said and In November Kirk said....the same things. when asked about their offensive philosophy that had nothing really to say...nothing..they just talked about defense...stunning. They are just not offensive minded.

3. Was Iowa prepared to pay top dollar for said quality OC? meh, I'd say yes. When Phil got his raise and Seth got his raise, they set the stage to pay up to $2M for an OC. But no need to do that.

I'm not as down on this hire as most seem to be. I was ready to be pissed but decided to see what I was going to be pissed about before I got pissed about it.

I watched a long series of instructional videos about his offenses and some videos of his teams' offenses. I got pretty excited with what I saw as far as the scheme is concerned. If he can stay healthy, it seems like an offense that Cade, or a QB like him, could flourish in.

His offenses averaged 31.8 PPG at WMU. From what I could find, he called plays every year there except the first year, when Johns was his OC.
(Johns' teams averaged have 31.6 PPG). Doesn't necessarily mean that much, but it's all about scoring points, especially with our defense and his offenses have produced points.

I see so many judging him on his head coaching record. His defenses gave up an average of 30 PPG and were never in the top 50. Based on his offenses alone, they produced. I realize it was the MAC, but PJ Fleck's teams averaged nearly the same amount of points there as Lester's and he was considered an offensive douchebag genius and it got him promoted to a B1G school and a HEAD coach.
Very granular, here good for you, bottom line folks if you don't have the Clydesdale's to pull the wagon with the kegs, they don't get delivered. Iowa, ain't got the Clydesdale's to deliver on offense, not to mention a Quarterback that would get beat by a Clydesdale in a 40. This travesty, called Iowa offense will not end until KF, hooks up the wagon and rides out of town, maybe with the big horses pulling it.

I said in a earlier post somewhat sarcastically that he'll pick someone that will make it look as if Brian shouldn't have been fired. Lester would be someone with NFL experience and somebody Kirk can manipulate more into his vanilla ass scheme. Not to worry though, the kool-aid drinkers will suck it down like opium based purple passion that I had few times while stationed in Okinawa and buy those season tickets and keep Kinnick full enjoying the same shit we've seen for two decade's and winning those juggernaut games against the weak big teams while trying not forget or admit that we're one of them. The only thing I hope is one day we get a shitty kicker and punter to peel the rest of the onion back. When I hire employees I look for initiative, potential and someone to interject fresh and new idea's. Of course I'm also trying to advance the business I'm head of into future times and offer customers great options and try to compete and surpass my competitors. Not Kirk though, he stuck in late 90's and early 2000's! I swear he's the one behind the space helmet and lunar craft on the MTV in the 80's right before Dire Straits comes on with Money for nothing! There, I've vented hopefully prematurely and if Lester is hired they'll be no ejaculation with it!
Any post with opium purple passion and ejaculation in it is a top ten post imo!

Any chance we made an incorrect assumption...A different take.....Maybe..... So Kirk Ferentz knew he was hiring Tim Lester for OC. So he asks Lester about a WR coach possibility. Lester had hired Johns previously at Western Michigan ( and knew he was out of a job) & suggested him for WR coach and Ferentz interviewed him while we all thought for OC. Might be far fetched but maybe we all made incorrect assumptions and maybe not.

Any post with opium purple passion and ejaculation in it is a top ten post imo!
Yeah obviously when I made that post it was the left field curveball that hit me! I really thought Johns was the guy but now that I've thought about it I'll give Lester benefit of doubt. We definitely going to have to recruit and get some playmakers on offense for any O.C. to have any chance. Also I don't remember anything about what happened those nights in Okinawa after the purple passion. Apparently we all had a great time according to others and I'm glad we didn't have any pictures to look at after like in the movie hangover.

Any chance we made an incorrect assumption...A different take.....Maybe..... So Kirk Ferentz knew he was hiring Tim Lester for OC. So he asks Lester about a WR coach possibility. Lester had hired Johns previously at Western Michigan ( and knew he was out of a job) & suggested him for WR coach and Ferentz interviewed him while we all thought for OC. Might be far fetched but maybe we all made incorrect assumptions and maybe not.
Interesting take. Maybe we get both?

I like the hire. He is the right level of experience. He has called plays and been a lower level coach. He will not wilt under the pressure of this. His is a Midwestern guy and has coached in the Big 10 and midwest. He knows how to recruit and knows the footprint. Most of all, he was and has coached QBs nearly his entire .career. I think this is a solid hire, if not sexy.
Of course you do

I like the hire. He is the right level of experience. He has called plays and been a lower level coach. He will not wilt under the pressure of this. His is a Midwestern guy and has coached in the Big 10 and midwest. He knows how to recruit and knows the footprint. Most of all, he was and has coached QBs nearly his entire .career. I think this is a solid hire, if not sexy.
From what I've read, he's a helluva recruiter.

Listening to the Cory Podcast.......It was said Johns was offered the OC job....and it fell through because of money....thus they went with Lester.

I said in a earlier post somewhat sarcastically that he'll pick someone that will make it look as if Brian shouldn't have been fired. Lester would be someone with NFL experience and somebody Kirk can manipulate more into his vanilla ass scheme. Not to worry though, the kool-aid drinkers will suck it down like opium based purple passion that I had few times while stationed in Okinawa and buy those season tickets and keep Kinnick full enjoying the same shit we've seen for two decade's and winning those juggernaut games against the weak big teams while trying not forget or admit that we're one of them. The only thing I hope is one day we get a shitty kicker and punter to peel the rest of the onion back. When I hire employees I look for initiative, potential and someone to interject fresh and new idea's. Of course I'm also trying to advance the business I'm head of into future times and offer customers great options and try to compete and surpass my competitors. Not Kirk though, he stuck in late 90's and early 2000's! I swear he's the one behind the space helmet and lunar craft on the MTV in the 80's right before Dire Straits comes on with Money for nothing! There, I've vented hopefully prematurely and if Lester is hired they'll be no ejaculation with it!
Post of the year.............and it's only January!

I love how outraged some people are about this, as if anything is going to change in terms of offensive production.

As long as Kurt is in charge we are going to see the same thing on the field we’ve been seeing the past half decade.

Iowa’s offensive recruiting is firmly in the garbage can now that we’ve been the worst in the land for years, and what you’re seeing now is a result of that. We could bluff our way through it before because Iowa had recruits coming in at times that could be huge difference makers. Not anymore. There are no CJs, no ISM, no Wadley/Daniels, no Matt Vanderbergs (yeah, even that guy was orders of magnitude better than what we have now), no Goodson, no LaPorta/Hockenson/Fant, no top 5 B1G offensive line.

What we have now (because of our results tanking recruiting) are a bunch of Deacon Hills, Rico Nagainis, Addison Ostrengas, and Nick De Jongs. D-1 players? Sure. But good enough to contend in the new B1G? Nope. Thank Kurt and his vision of the family business for that.

Look, anyone thinking there would be a splash hire or that the offense will change is, frankly, either a moron or knows nothing about Iowa football. Because neither of those two things are happening. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I love how outraged some people are about this, as if anything is going to change in terms of offensive production.

As long as Kurt is in charge we are going to see the same thing on the field we’ve been seeing the past half decade.

Iowa’s offensive recruiting is firmly in the garbage can now that we’ve been the worst in the land for years, and what you’re seeing now is a result of that. We could bluff our way through it before because Iowa had recruits coming in at times that could be huge difference makers. Not anymore. There are no CJ, no ISM, no Wadley/Daniels, no Matt Vanderbergs (yeah, even that guy was orders of magnitude better than what we have now), no Goodson, no LaPorta/Hockenson/Fant, no top 5 B1G offensive line.

What we have now (because of our results tanking recruiting) are a bunch of Deacon Hills, Rico Nagainis, Addison Ostrengas, and Nick De Jongs. D-1 players? Sure. But good enough to contend in the new B1G? Nope. Thank Kurt and his vision of the family business for that.

Look, anyone thinking there would be a splash hire or that the offense will change is, frankly, either a moron or knows nothing about Iowa football. Because neither of those two things are happening. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Huck is going to be MAD at you and put you in time out! (ignore)

Listening to the Cory Podcast.......It was said Johns was offered the OC job....and it fell through because of money....thus they went with Lester.
Yeah I wonder what the story is on that cause Friday night Sat morning the buzz was it was Johns job. So it'll be interesting to know what Lester gets paid. Although we'll never know what Johns turned down or exactly why. But yeah there's no comparing the two of their resumes. Johns has actually done some things. He's worked with some other good coaches and players.

My two cents on all this is KF thought he had Chryst in the bag. He waited till Texas was done playing to really pursue him at all though and when Chryst said no for whatever reasons he left KF standing there with his you know what in his hands. Since then he's been scrambling and now he's settled... Doesn't mean Lester won't maybe do ok. But nobody is predicting wild success from the guy. The previous guy set the bar pretty damn low and all that all he's gotta do is get a 1st down once in awhile and not turn it over 3 times a game.

Problem he's going to run into is he'll get absolutely no honey moon period. None at all which isn't really all that fair to Lester but it's what he's signing up for. If the guy wants to pass his first test from me all he's gotta do is put out a depth chart for QBs and not have Deacon Hill on it. That's it. We can work our way up from there.

Yeah I wonder what the story is on that cause Friday night Sat morning the buzz was it was Johns job. So it'll be interesting to know what Lester gets paid. Although we'll never know what Johns turned down or exactly why. But yeah there's no comparing the two of their resumes. Johns has actually done some things. He's worked with some other good coaches and players.

My two cents on all this is KF thought he had Chryst in the bag. He waited till Texas was done playing to really pursue him at all though and when Chryst said no for whatever reasons he left KF standing there with his you know what in his hands. Since then he's been scrambling and now he's settled... Doesn't mean Lester won't maybe do ok. But nobody is predicting wild success from the guy. The previous guy set the bar pretty damn low and all that all he's gotta do is get a 1st down once in awhile and not turn it over 3 times a game.

Problem he's going to run into is he'll get absolutely no honey moon period. None at all which isn't really all that fair to Lester but it's what he's signing up for. If the guy wants to pass his first test from me all he's gotta do is put out a depth chart for QBs and not have Deacon Hill on it. That's it. We can work our way up from there.
They should hit the portal for another back-up QB.....right now we have one back-up that can't do anything...Hill....another who showed he can run....but he can pass? The other has glass legs.

Were just going to run left and throw that way. LOL. In Proctor we trust. Seriously, I did not expect a big splash at OC . I mean with our current roster and our showing on offense the last few years who in their right mind would want this gig. I'm shocked we got four candidates. That is the glass half empty take.

Optimistically, we cannot get much worse......can we? I guess I don't mind the hire. I never expected a big name and honestly, I think we all really knew it would be someone that would align with KF"s philosophy. Ball control, defense and field position.

My only hope is Lester will maybe be able to work with the quarterbacks due to his experience (where BF had little to no background) and can add a few wrinkles to the offense to streamline it. It will still all fall on the O-line. Proctor was a big get, but he is one player. Hoping the rest of the line gel and improve. Barnett seems to evade a lot of the criticism or heat during all this. But KF is the head coach and the buck stops with him.

I also hope that Lainez gets a shot at QB1 going into the Spring. CMc won't obviously be ready. We cannot endure another year of Deacon Hill fumbling and throwing fastballs over the head and behind receivers.

They should hit the portal for another back-up QB.....right now we have one back-up that can't do anything...Hill....another who showed he can run....but he can pass? The other has glass legs.
People like you always think that's the answer..."Hit the portal!" like it's some secret stash of good players. Lol.

The highest QB left in the portal is rated 160th overall, is leaving his 3rd school, got let go by Arizona for character issues, and has been in the portal for almost 2 months.

Latest posts