It seems Greg Davis was Texas fans KOK..

cmhawks99

Good read, but as some others have noted, it seems the most popular guy to bash on any teams fan board is the OC. Board to board it’s more of the same. I was over there seeing what was being said about this behind the scenes PSU stuff and there was a thread about GD so I read up.

I’m linking it, but beware the vitriol is KOK part deux….in fact it’s a little worse and this is a man who won an NC and to me appeared to shift and change his O quite a bit…..but alas, the Internet fan, they always “Knoâ€â€¦.:D

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/113217-Bohls-New-lease-on-coaching-life-for-Greg-Davis

Winning was always said to cure all, but apparently not in Texas....the 5-7 got him fired, but to hear them talk he always sucked!!!!

One of my buddies is a Horns fan and describes Davis as the most conservative playcaller he’s ever seen, calls draw plays on 3rd and 12 type guy. I don’t like that he started laughing uncontrollably when I informed him of the hire.

First off, HI Hawkeye Nation. First post :)

OC's generally take the most heat out of anyone on the coaching staff.

5-7 in Texas is dismal and you have to get rid of someone. Davis was the goat, as any OC would have likely been fired at Texas, in that circumstance.

Davis couldn't call the right play. Very similar to the JC year here at Iowa. No matter what you call, the offense was going to F* it up.

Davis will take some heat. The same as KOK? Maybe.
KOK averaged around 70th in total offense. Davis averaged around Top 15 to Top 5 in total offense.
If Davis gets us to the Top 40 and gradually up to the Top 25 in total offense, look the frick out for Iowa. They'd be able to play with anyone in the country.

Last edited:
Seems as soon as they had Gilbert and the other McCoy at qb, their offense went down the drains. Gotta have a capable qb to execute his offense. Also, for whatever reason, they weren't able to recruit a decent rb for a couple year stretch. i'll be curious to see how he does with Iowa recruits.

Yeah, never got all the hate for Greg Davis down here. Apparently he needed to score 70+ points a game to make them happy. Meanwhile, that same season, the defense was getting punished and Wil Muschamp could do no wrong.

You have to remember Texas fans have a higher expectation to win than they do at Iowa, which they should. Davis had a lot more talent to work with at Texas than he may ever see at Iowa. Time will tell if he really is as bad as KOK. But it is tough to compare a coordinator that had his offense around the top 10 to one that was not even top 50. I would hate to think there is that big of a difference in talent.

Seems as soon as they had Gilbert and the other McCoy at qb, their offense went down the drains. Gotta have a capable qb to execute his offense. Also, for whatever reason, they weren't able to recruit a decent rb for a couple year stretch. i'll be curious to see how he does with Iowa recruits.

Yeah its funny you say that…..as I read on I saw where someone said Davis was fine when Mack was supplying him with towering talents. But when the recruiters “quit†recruiting they went downhill. So Texas who signs top 10 classes every year “quit†recruiting and I also find it odd they couldn’t find a capable Rber. Odd in that it’s all a big crap shoot, even in Texas. Recruiting is fickle, seasons are fickle and fans are fickle…..

KOK wasn’t as bad as some Iowa fans thought & Davis wasn’t as bad as it appears some Texas fans thought either. More to the point if we have a huge year next year it won’t be indicative of anything more than we got our kids focused, motivated and executing at a high degree…..

Not trying to be rude, but isn't this general knowledge at this point and time for Iowa fans? The first thing everyone knew about Greg Davis was that Texas fans didn't like his playcalling.

Good read, but as some others have noted, it seems the most popular guy to bash on any teams fan board is the OC. Board to board it’s more of the same. I was over there seeing what was being said about this behind the scenes PSU stuff and there was a thread about GD so I read up.

I’m linking it, but beware the vitriol is KOK part deux….in fact it’s a little worse and this is a man who won an NC and to me appeared to shift and change his O quite a bit…..but alas, the Internet fan, they always “Knoâ€â€¦.:D

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/113217-Bohls-New-lease-on-coaching-life-for-Greg-Davis

Winning was always said to cure all, but apparently not in Texas....the 5-7 got him fired, but to hear them talk he always sucked!!!!

This just in... the world is round

You have to remember Texas fans have a higher expectation to win than they do at Iowa, which they should. Davis had a lot more talent to work with at Texas than he may ever see at Iowa. Time will tell if he really is as bad as KOK. But it is tough to compare a coordinator that had his offense around the top 10 to one that was not even top 50. I would hate to think there is that big of a difference in talent.

Well for the record since 2001 Texas’s winning percentage nationally is 3rd at 80% and Iowa’s is tied for 17th at 66%...so speaking relatively, if Texas’s should be more upset, then maybe we should have been okay with 17th out of 120…!??! Just sayin’…..

Point being Iowa is Iowa and Texas is Texas and we all ***** & moan and think we should win more…..we say we don’t “expect things†like Texas does, but we are close. As far as Talent goes, I’m not going to look but Texas might, stressing “might†have 10 more kids in the NFL….the 2 most important being Colt McCoy and Vince Young who were there for about 7 years……O-line, TE’s, all defensive positions would be close.

Texas has 4 WR’s we have 1, we have 1 Rber now and they have I think 2 maybe 3…..so your point about O-talent maybe spot on who knows, but we had a completely different “game management†philosophy as well, so all the criticism KOK gets isn’t all on him….

I've always wanted to post one of these

Man-on-the-Moon.jpg

Not trying to be rude, but isn't this general knowledge at this point and time for Iowa fans? The first thing everyone knew about Greg Davis was that Texas fans didn't like his playcalling.

I don't find it rude, but it’s also the first time I’ve seen it linked in print....thought it would be interesting to compare comments by their fans to those we had for KOK...very similar it seems and more evidence we likely won’t ever be happy….they weren’t!

Well for the record since 2001 Texas’s winning percentage nationally is 3rd at 80% and Iowa’s is tied for 17th at 66%...so speaking relatively, if Texas’s should be more upset, then maybe we should have been okay with 17th out of 120…!??! Just sayin’…..

Point being Iowa is Iowa and Texas is Texas and we all ***** & moan and think we should win more…..we say we don’t “expect things†like Texas does, but we are close. As far as Talent goes, I’m not going to look but Texas might, stressing “might†have 10 more kids in the NFL….the 2 most important being Colt McCoy and Vince Young who were there for about 7 years……O-line, TE’s, all defensive positions would be close.

Texas has 4 WR’s we have 1, we have 1 Rber now and they have I think 2 maybe 3…..so your point about O-talent maybe spot on who knows, but we had a completely different “game management†philosophy as well, so all the criticism KOK gets isn’t all on him….

For the record I never bought into the blaming KOK thing. I still say KF controls how aggressive the offense played with KOK at coordinator. My only hope is that KF will give full reigns to Davis since he is older and has more experience at running an offense. If not then we may see the same old vanilla (predictable) that we had before.

Chad, you will be crying for O'Keefe by week 9. O'Keefe is a much better coach than Davis. O'Keefe took his talents to south beach for an nfl team, while Davis is relegated to living in Iowa city.

Chad, you will be crying for O'Keefe by week 9. O'Keefe is a much better coach than Davis. O'Keefe took his talents to south beach for an nfl team, while Davis is relegated to living in Iowa city.
and, don't forget, KOK gets to coach ...

ochocinco.jpg

I think we'll be ok, but like you I wasn't against KOK....classic over simplification by the fans.

Latest posts