It seems Greg Davis was Texas fans KOK..

One of my buddies is a Horns fan and describes Davis as the most conservative playcaller he’s ever seen, calls draw plays on 3rd and 12 type guy. I don’t like that he started laughing uncontrollably when I informed him of the hire.

I don't think that should surprise anyone who follows Kirk Ferentz.

Personally, I'm optimistic. As I've stated on here several times, I believe that KF laid out some conservative parameters...and I think KOK struggled to operate within those parameters.

One of my buddies is a Horns fan and describes Davis as the most conservative playcaller he�s ever seen, calls draw plays on 3rd and 12 type guy. I don�t like that he started laughing uncontrollably when I informed him of the hire.

How many non-longhorn games has he watched?

I don't think that should surprise anyone who follows Kirk Ferentz.

Personally, I'm optimistic. As I've stated on here several times, I believe that KF laid out some conservative parameters...and I think KOK struggled to operate within those parameters.

I buy that to a point.

However what plays are called, how fast they get called, the route combos, the personal groupings are all things that KOK failed at on a regular basis.

Texas fans are like tOSU fans they expect to beat every team on their schedule by 30 points and when they don't they have to find a scapegoat. It's the nature of the beast and coaches like Davis that have been around for a long time know this.

A change was needed and a new perspective was needed, time will tell whether it was a good hire or not.

It won't take very long for some Iowa Fans to not like Greg Davis. That is a given.:)

The one thing I do like is the seeming excitement a "change" has brought....now that can go away easy if there is no substance, but the initial scrambling to “getâ€￾ it and excel is very, very good for the focus of the players, which is something I personally feel has been lacking.

I buy that to a point.

However what plays are called, how fast they get called, the route combos, the personal groupings are all things that KOK failed at on a regular basis.

Texas fans are like tOSU fans they expect to beat every team on their schedule by 30 points and when they don't they have to find a scapegoat. It's the nature of the beast and coaches like Davis that have been around for a long time know this.

A change was needed and a new perspective was needed, time will tell whether it was a good hire or not.

I’m not trying to argue the point here, but I’m not sure I agree with this per se….I saw a lot of open receivers last year and I mean a lot. I also saw a lot of dropped passes and poor execution, so I don’t buy the poor routes or personnel groupings.

The getting plays in maybe, but I see that with a lot of teams shockingly.

PS.....Texas fans aren't all that different than every teams fans who think they know what's going on.

Davis coached for Mack Brown who built Texas into a powerhouse then started mailing it in on the recruiting trail after winning a NC. The failures of Davis are a Mack Brown problem. Surprisingly similar situation happening with us and Ferentz, but he didnt get us a NC before taking his foot off the gas. Now we've got another OC that cant gameplan and hes filling out the staff with his kid.

Davis is the second worst offensive coordinator next to KOK. With Iowa's players he will probably be the worst in the history of college football. We will be lucky to win three games this year.

Davis coached for Mack Brown who built Texas into a powerhouse then started mailing it in on the recruiting trail after winning a NC. The failures of Davis are a Mack Brown problem. Surprisingly similar situation happening with us and Ferentz, but he didnt get us a NC before taking his foot off the gas. Now we've got another OC that cant gameplan and hes filling out the staff with his kid.

2006....5th

2007....5th

2008....14th

2009....5th

2010....3rd

2011....3rd

That is where Texas' classes have ranked since 2005. So if you’re saying recruiting rankings don't matter (and they may not per se) then okay, maybe he did mail it in. But if you are like many on here that are always up in arms about our lack of 4 star talent and high recruiting rankings then this is compelling evidence that they were still recruiting just fine….they, like us, just had some misses and other circumstances that has dropped them off the map a little. All this really tells you is recruiting is an inexact science and “staff evaluationâ€￾ is more important than recruiting services and it takes a lot of good fortune to win 10 games a year…..

I know we're in a dead period here for Hawkeye sports, but this topic is old news recycled. I remember when Davis was hired, there were several Texas fans posting on this board that they were happy that he was our problem now and criticized him for his conservative play calling. I am hoping (but certainly not expecting) that conservative to Texas fans will be creative to Hawkeye fans and KF cuts Davis loose to open up the offense somewhat.

I know we're in a dead period here for Hawkeye sports, but this topic is old news recycled. I remember when Davis was hired, there were several Texas fans posting on this board that they were happy that he was our problem now and criticized him for his conservative play calling. I am hoping (but certainly not expecting) that conservative to Texas fans will be creative to Hawkeye fans and KF cuts Davis loose to open up the offense somewhat.

I fully expect this to happen actually. Texas fans' expectations are insanely high even despite their success. I plan on being pleasantly surprised this year, and the offense doesn't even have to change all that much for that to happen.

I buy that to a point.

I'm not sure where you are seeing our disagreement. What you stated is what I feel as well.

Additionally, I think KOK was not good at coaching blitz pick-up or clock management. Sure, you could say those are KF's faults as well, but then he needs an OC that doesn't have the same weaknesses.

I'm not sure where you are seeing our disagreement. What you stated is what I feel as well.

Additionally, I think KOK was not good at coaching blitz pick-up or clock management. Sure, you could say those are KF's faults as well, but then he needs an OC that doesn't have the same weaknesses.

He was talking to me and the blitz pickup honestly is on the O-line coach as much as the OC.

He was talking to me and the blitz pickup honestly is on the O-line coach as much as the OC.

And rb coach. And wr coach. It is a team game, Chad. Sometimes the rb needs to pick someone up. Sometimes the wr needs to run a so called hot route. O'Keefe gets these intricacies, but you don't always.

And rb coach. And wr coach. It is a team game, Chad. Sometimes the rb needs to pick someone up. Sometimes the wr needs to run a so called hot route. O'Keefe gets these intricacies, but you don't always.

it is a team thing but in a zone scheme the blocking is determined by the dl and guys on the los. this is then signaled between the linemen on who has who and as defenders shift they communicate and change things. this is why a good center is so important at iowa...communicating with the rest of the line. the qb will a lot of times signal blitzers but it is the lines job to understand and communicate the adjustment. it is on the team and the coaches but in the iowa system the oline and ol coach are more in on this than the rest.

Latest posts