It may really be time for QB switch

Good God, can you morons PLEASE stay on topic? Dork22, just GTFO. I don't like you, I don't care about your opinion, and you breathe air I may actually need some day. The rest, just stay on point.

OK, that out of the way, I'm not sure Wiegers ahs one foot out the door. And to come in to practice Monday and be told, "The reins are yours, wortk this bitch!" might just push BOTH QBs past the point of "tentative".

Further than QB...

Next up: Fant, take a seat for a couple series. WATCH the field. Relax. YOU know you had no business dropping that ball. It happens. Now take a couple series to breathe, cheer on your teammates and remember that EVERY play is big, but NO play or series is "over" until you see our PK run onto the field. You're an all all-star. Rather than "play like one", think, "I have nothing to prove, except to remember to forget the last play in OT against NW".

After that: Phil, your D, though screwed by a non-call on the grounding, took that next play off. That can't happen. Period.

Brian: You're overcooking my grits. Mom can't bail you out until 2025. Kick it up a notch.

Ken: He may be my son, but he's YOUR responsibility.

Finally: Team, we aren't as good as I thought. It isn't personal, but we aren't perfect. EVERY play requires concentration and effort.

And to Staff: Meeting. My office. Now.
I don't like you either Hawkeye Slob thats the second time you resort to name calling because people don't see things your way. I so wish I knew who you were. I'm almost positive you are working at a Hardee's or a Walmart somewhere. Truly an immature dunce.

It didn't seem to bother McCaffery and several hundred other backs throughout the history of the game. Hawk fans make the dumbest excuses for having average players.

No, you just don't see what Iowa tries and do repeatedly like this w/o support.

Stanley finally hit his "bomb", but he is just out of sync.

Thoughts?

Well Stanley hit about a 35-40 yarder to Ahmir-Smith or whatever his name is I think in the MSU game then Wadley fumbled on the next play. One of three key fumbles in that game but those things are going to happen.

QB is not the problem, we havent seen a screen pass in forever, they could be having Wadley in the slot a lot more to get him the ball in space and put a bigger RB in the game, I think our TEs can be big targets all game long to set up other things, even with Fant's drop today. Fant will come back.

This Off Line is not a good run blocking line, we have two freshman at Tackle instead of two Srs. Not being able to run screws up the normal equation so change the equation to 2004 and pass the ball

People need to stop blaming the oline.
It's hard for 5 people to block 9. Teams load up the box. And we still run right into the teeth of that defense.

2 ways to beat that. Go deep and make them pay until they ease off. Or run your offense out of 3 or 4 receiver sets. This pulls at least 4 guys out of the box and gives your line a chance. Sorry fullbacks, you do nothing but allow another defender justification to clog up the middle.

Stanley finally hit his "bomb", but he is just out of sync. It's time to stop the mentality of "You-Can't-Play-Two-QBs-Because-It-Means-They-Both-Suck" mentality. Maybe--just maybe--playing the next guy will give BOTH a chance to see/assess/adjust to what/where the opponent's defense is giving/vulnerable.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a dumb idea. If you think Stanley is the reason we are losing then you must be watching a different game.

He’s gonna be a senior and certain people are still going to be saying he’s “this close” to hitting those long balls.

I think Stanley is very average even if he had a great line....90 % of his deep balls throw with ZERO pressure have been severely overthrown. And he never seems to realize that it is legal for him to run with the ball when there is an opening to make some yards....yet, he never does.

People need to stop blaming the oline.
It's hard for 5 people to block 9. Teams load up the box. And we still run right into the teeth of that defense.

2 ways to beat that. Go deep and make them pay until they ease off. Or run your offense out of 3 or 4 receiver sets. This pulls at least 4 guys out of the box and gives your line a chance. Sorry fullbacks, you do nothing but allow another defender justification to clog up the middle.

This is correct.

It didn't seem to bother McCaffery and several hundred other backs throughout the history of the game. Hawk fans make the dumbest excuses for having average players.
Thing is with that statement McCaffray for instance was used exceptionally in the pass game which opened up his running. The creativity with Wadley as a pass catcher has been a real disappointment. They say they want him to get around 20 touches a game but that cannot be all hand offs. He needs at least 6 targets a game as a receiver which will help his running. He thrives on getting to the second level and using his agility. At this point the O line cannot get him to the second level.

Thing is with that statement McCaffray for instance was used exceptionally in the pass game which opened up his running. The creativity with Wadley as a pass catcher has been a real disappointment. They say they want him to get around 20 touches a game but that cannot be all hand offs. He needs at least 6 targets a game as a receiver which will help his running. He thrives on getting to the second level and using his agility. At this point the O line cannot get him to the second level.
I agree, I was just making the argument that the idea of him not playing well due to overuse is an excuse. Great backs even at his size run it 25-30 times per game catch passes and return punts like Mcaffrey did.

Screens, draws, wheelroutes. We should be seeing a lot more of them. I believe This oline would look solid against 6-7 man fronts.

Stanley finally hit his "bomb", but he is just out of sync. It's time to stop the mentality of "You-Can't-Play-Two-QBs-Because-It-Means-They-Both-Suck" mentality. Maybe--just maybe--playing the next guy will give BOTH a chance to see/assess/adjust to what/where the opponent's defense is giving/vulnerable.

Thoughts?

ROFL! Stanley is a stud. Period. He is going to wind up being one of the all timers at Iowa. Wait...ok, you got me. This was sarcasm, right?

I agree, I was just making the argument that the idea of him not playing well due to overuse is an excuse. Great backs even at his size run it 25-30 times per game catch passes and return punts like Mcaffrey did.

It's not overuse thats the issue. Its misuse. He should touch the ball 30 times/game. But not more than 10-12 into the scrum.

Thoughts?

KF does not do this, but some coaches simply make a change at QB to shake things up - a new voice in the huddle, a new look, maybe some new energy... and sometimes it works. And the QB, stanley could sit out and gain some perspective.

This is how CJB got his shot at SF.

KF does not do this, but some coaches simply make a change at QB to shake things up - a new voice in the huddle, a new look, maybe some new energy... and sometimes it works. And the QB, stanley could sit out and gain some perspective.

This is how CJB got his shot at SF.

If Stanley was one of the primary struggles, sure. But despite the deep misses, he simply is not the issue.

I think Stanley is very average even if he had a great line....90 % of his deep balls throw with ZERO pressure have been severely overthrown. And he never seems to realize that it is legal for him to run with the ball when there is an opening to make some yards....yet, he never does.

This is poor analysis. He hasn't thrown more then 8 or so deep balls all year and has been close to connecting on all of them. The guy is a sophomore with just 7 starts to his name, has great pocket presence, has good field vision, has a gun of an arm, throws accurately, has only three picks all year and that includes todays mishap on the receiver route. He connected on the long ball today.

Stanely is not the reason we lose games. Holy crap. The nonsense on this board is beyond reason.:(

I disagree. I think Stanley will be a good one. He is getting terrible plays coming in from the OC, The OL line is just offensive. It's Nate's first year... I see a very good player. He might benefit from a new coaching staff but I digress (Cornholer.... "digress" means leave the main subject temporarily.... aah screw it... you are all retarded)

how does the a QB switch help jump start the running game any? Face it, the OL is the weak spot. Worst OL I can remember Iowa having in a long time.

Latest posts