ISU v Baylor, boy oh boy

HawksMN

Man is Baylor a thorn in ISU's side. Two straight season sweep.
ISU even played well offensively. But BAD d to say the least.

Baylor didn't even have their best player in Gathers. ISU is a mess, they don't/won't play D, and it doesn't even seem like they care about one another on the court. Complete me, me, me team.

I only caught the end of the game and the overtime. ISU looked gassed going into the overtime. If that game was one second longer in regulation they would have won on that tip back. They ended up with three players fouling out in overtime. I thought this would happen to ISU late in the season. The starters have played so many minutes that they can't finish out games.

The depth man...they just have none. and boy do they get ABUSED inside by bigger teams. Niang is just a terrible defender since he can't jump. McKay 0 points, 5 fouls....

This team is going to be dead meat come postseason without the depth. They can beat athletic smaller teams, but they can't beat a team with size and they can't seem to win on the road. If they get out of that first game, their second game is 2 days later and they play 6 guys. They're going to be gassed.

I don't see any chance Morris comes back next year. Right now he's a projected 1st rounder and what would he have coming back? Thomas and an injured Long? His assists would suffer greatly which would only hurt his draft stock

Since I might as well say something nice about ISU for no reason, matt Thomas is finally starting to show why he was such a highly rated recruit. Dude can shoot and play solid defense. He's really had a great year. I doubt next year he'll get as many looks though without the defense focusing on Niang

and what a soul crushing season this is turning out to be for Cyclone fans. Iowa beats them in football, then goes 12-0 and to the Rose Bowl. They tell themselves they don't care because they'll dominate the basketball season, win the Big 12 title and make a final four. Then it turns out Iowa is a top 5 team and fighting for a 1 seed, meanwhile Iowa State can't win the Big 12 and is going to be fighting for a 5 seed.

Been a rough year. Basically the only difference between last year and this year is we are now losing the close games instead of winning them.

if you look up the rankings on KenPom the team stats and rankings are virtually identical. The difference is the close games and yes it sucks to seemingly lose them all.

Been a rough year. Basically the only difference between last year and this year is we are now losing the close games instead of winning them.

if you look up the rankings on KenPom the team stats and rankings are virtually identical. The difference is the close games and yes it sucks to seemingly lose them all.

So you are saying that ISU is gonna be bounced in the first round of the NCAA's again this year?

Remember when I told you that all the close wins that ISU was the beneficiary of two years about with Kane and Ejim were going to eventually bounce the other way. Well, here you go.

Also ISU was 9-4 in conference play at this time last year and had 6 total losses to date, this year they are 7-6 with 8 losses. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that they are in the same position as last year. You can quote RPI all day long, but losses matter, and right now there is no way they are close to a 3 seed, I'd bet after this loss they will be a 4 seed or worse.

The rest of the year they play the bottom 3 teams in the conference at home and the top 2 teams on the road. If they go 3-2, which is very likely, they will finish 10-8 in the conference. They will be 7-2 at home and 3-6 on the road. No top 50 road wins all season. Everything points to a very mentally weak team. Tough to see them doing much in the NCAA's if they don't man up. Also, a little defense would help. They have a negative defensive quotient in the RPI, which ranks them #206 in the nation, one spot behind Minnesota.

I don't see any chance Morris comes back next year. Right now he's a projected 1st rounder and what would he have coming back? Thomas and an injured Long? His assists would suffer greatly which would only hurt his draft stock

I expect Morris to take advantage of the weak draft this year.

Baylor had a player that reminded me McKay. Same kind of body frame and movement.

On a side note, Baylor's arena atmosphere reminded me a lot of Carver. Quiet during play with bouts of noise when something good would happen. Very similar.

Last edited:
McKay just gets owned by guys who put in work. He's so feminine in the paint. Every time I see that State Farm Commercial "The Hoopers" Deandre Jordan dressed as a woman makes me think of McKay. A big old black guy with long hair who plays basketball like a diva.

[video=youtube;zrIMXZST3go]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrIMXZST3go[/video]

Man is Baylor a thorn in ISU's side. Two straight season sweep.
ISU even played well offensively. But BAD d to say the least.

In conference games, Silo Tech is first in offensive efficiency, but eighth in defensive efficiency. That is all you need to know about Moo U.

In conference games, Silo Tech is first in offensive efficiency, but eighth in defensive efficiency. That is all you need to know about Moo U.

Offense wins games. Defense wins championships or something like that right? It's crazy how much the actual strategy and caliber of athletes in games like football and basketball have changed, but that statement is still 100% true.

The Clones have huge egos and a fan base that wants to blow them because of their flashy offense, but they haven't received near the amount of criticism they deserve for being absolutely atrocious on defense. Niang's play is a perfect analogy. He's a fan favorite because of his offense. So much so that they just accept the fact he's awful on defense. They'll hang his jersey in the rafters because of his offensive play. Not many people will remember the liability he was on defense. Which will ultimately be the reason the teams he has been of a part of have failed to live up to the hype that has surrounded them. Kind of ironic.

Offense wins games. Defense wins championships or something like that right? It's crazy how much the actual strategy and caliber of athletes in games like football and basketball have changed, but that statement is still 100% true.

The Clones have huge egos and a fan base that wants to blow them because of their flashy offense, but they haven't received near the amount of criticism they deserve for being absolutely atrocious on defense. Niang's play is a perfect analogy. He's a fan favorite because of his offense. So much so that they just accept the fact he's awful on defense. They'll hang his jersey in the rafters because of his offensive play. Not many people will remember the liability he was on defense. Which will ultimately be the reason the teams he has been of a part of have failed to live up to the hype that has surrounded them.

Kenpom has Iowa State at #3 on offense and #97 on defense. The numbers are what they are. The defense isn't there.

I don't know about anyone else on here but I never paid attention to ISU basketball until recently. The last couple years under Hoiberg had me thinking we wouldn't be the top program in the state for the foreseeable future. Now, ISU looks like a borderline top 25 team and is starting from scratch next year. Fran has assembled one of the better Iowa teams in history and keep recruiting at a higher level.
Pretty certain ISU will no longer be on my radar going forward, and they'll be irrelevant to me and most of the basketball world in the near future. Feels like going home.

It's all about points in the paint. Baylor gouged ISU in the paint. They murdered them in the paint. McKay is hunting blocks instead of playing defense. He's taking himself out of position constantly. Niang is too fat and slow and has always played bad defense. Burton is too short to consistently play well against real bigs. They don't have an answer.

I don't know of a website that keeps track of points in the paint per game, but I'd be interested to see that stat from last night. Motley had 27 points. Prince had 15 and a forward off their bench had 15 (Maston). That's 57 points right there and it's safe to assume the majority of them were in the paint. That's not including drives by their guards.

This is by far their biggest weakness, and guess what? They lose Niang and McKay next year. It's only gonna get worse.

I also love how you didn't hear anything about the missed goaltending call AGAINST ISU that would have allowed Baylor to win in regulation. What is the deal with Big12 refs, can't they see when the ball hits the backboard??

Latest posts