ISU - The really BIG meltdown has begun

"In 2006, Learfield signed a 10-year, $55 million contract with U of I athletics to sell advertising related to Hawkeye athletic events. Hawkeye athletics receives about $5 million annually from that contract."

University of Iowa athletics weighs new ad links to lottery | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

If Iowa can bring in $5.5M per year, I can see why an entire conference gets a lot more. Texas' value is likely $20M+.

Fox is getting a great deal of value out of this, its not like they just magically gave them a lot more money for the same television rights. B12 is not getting the TV revenue that everyone wants to think they are.

Great find, so you can essential subract whatever ISU gets for their advertising, radio, etc. from this "tv contract". If (and that is a big if) this deal goes through, ISU will be looking at about an additional $2 million per year starting in 2012 at the earliest. Plus they sold their soul to Texas...

The meltdown is pretty much over with. They bit hook, line, and sinker what Pollard was throwing out. Back to complacency land in Ames. Too bad they're too short sighted to realize they came out of this on the wrong end of the deal.

Has anyone else noticed that over half the threads here are about the clones and most aren't even in the rivalry forum. Not sure what it means just noticed it has been like that for quite awhile. If Iowa-Neb is going to be the big rivalry isn't it time to start blessing them with all the tales of superiority?

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that over half the threads here are about the clones and most aren't even in the rivalry forum. Not sure what it means just noticed it has been like that for quite awhile. If Iowa-Neb is going to be the big rivalry isn't it time to start blessing them with all the tales of superiority?

There aren't enough of them over here yet to make it worth ruffling their feathers. Plus you guys just make it so easy, like putting it up on a tee.

It's June. The Iowa MBB coaching search is over, Nebbie is in the Big Ten, and ISU and the Big XII are the most important sports stories right now in Iowa.

Get over yourself.

Here is something I posted over at CF:

I guess a lot of folks are going to have to wait until 2015 or so before they realize this increased financial windfall that Beebee was promising. I doubt Texas chose to remain in the B12 because of that. I think they are just biding their time, and they want to form their own Bevo TV Network, and could do that with the B12.

Fox has an option to re-up at their current rate. Why bid against yourself? ESPN deal isn't up for a half decade.

Will ISU earn more in 2011-2012? Yes, but it looks like only because there are two fewer conference teams to split the pie up with. These mega numbers that Beebe was throwing out there, by his own admission today, are based on positive conversations he had with people in the tv arena that told him what things might be worth when its time to reup

By then, there will have probably been radical realignment anyway, Texas will have built its TV network, and ISU will have been competing every year with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas Tech on the schedule. Since 2000, ISU is 2-16 against those teams. Since 2000, Texas has lost to just one Big 12 North school in a regular season game, and Oklahoma has just lost to two Big 12 North schools in regular season games. ISU went to six bowl games in the last decade. All but five of those bowl seasons came in years where ISU did not play Oklahoma and Texas. The exception being when Wallace was QB, and there are not many of him.

I do realize you have to consider all of the alternatives, and the landscape there was not pretty. But I hope ISU gets paid for this at some point in time, as that will be the primary benefit.

Which word does not belong in that sentance?

"Mesaclone.....were all here and listening for your comments....."

What comments would you like. ISU is going to be having a tremendous increase in its revenue stream. A few days earlier, it was looking like a huge reduction in that same stream was likely. So yeah, this turned it to be an incredibly beneficial deal for ISU athletics...money does matter and ISU just increased its funding by a quantum leap. Its a great deal for ISU...puts the ISU money in line with what other schools in BCS conferences are making. Since we've always made do with far less, it looks like we're going to be doing more with more from now on. Sounds great to me. Given the fact that we had an offer from the Big East and chose to stay, its pretty clear this deal was far better than the one with that BCS conference. As for the proposal to send the money from NU/CU's departure to some of the other programs in the conference...that proposal came from the Big 12 North schools as an enticement for uniting the conference. Guess what...it worked.

"Mesaclone.....were all here and listening for your comments....."

What comments would you like. ISU is going to be having a tremendous increase in its revenue stream. A few days earlier, it was looking like a huge reduction in that same stream was likely. So yeah, this turned it to be an incredibly beneficial deal for ISU athletics...money does matter and ISU just increased its funding by a quantum leap. Its a great deal for ISU...puts the ISU money in line with what other schools in BCS conferences are making. Since we've always made do with far less, it looks like we're going to be doing more with more from now on. Sounds great to me. Given the fact that we had an offer from the Big East and chose to stay, its pretty clear this deal was far better than the one with that BCS conference. As for the proposal to send the money from NU/CU's departure to some of the other programs in the conference...that proposal came from the Big 12 North schools as an enticement for uniting the conference. Guess what...it worked.

That's an interesting comment. I'm sure that would have been in the paper, or at least talked about on KXNO or 1700. A 1000+ post thread on your board titled "ISU to Big East?" does not equal a Big East offer.

Some obscure D.C. newletter had an article. Its the equivelant to "City View" for Republicans according to the one the only Steve Deace. Ever other reputable news source denied it. In fact he never even claimed it was an offer, only interested...Of course he got this information from Alumni's???? Hey im an Iowa Alum, I think Iowa is interested in moving to the SEC.
http://dev.www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/Watch-This/

HawkfromNorwalk, every time I read one of your posts I think of Tommy Chong. Hey man, where's my bong, man?

That's an interesting comment. I'm sure that would have been in the paper, or at least talked about on KXNO or 1700. A 1000+ post thread on your board titled "ISU to Big East?" does not equal a Big East offer.

they didn't have an offer from the Big East or even the Mt. West for that matter. Mt. West was public about their interest in Kansas and Missouri. No clown mention whatsoever. They were CUSA bound at best.

Mesaclone, I felt that you had a pretty clear view of things over the past week up until now. Your instance of increase in revenue doesn't mesh with the current reality. Let's talk facts:

ISU will receive more money from the current TV contracts remaining the same with less teams. As Jaime Pollard stated that would most likely be a 1.5 - 2 million raise depending on how well ISU does. There is a disagreement between what Dan Beebe and Jamie Pollard said in their press conferences about the forfeiture money. Jamie said the Big 5 agreed to give up some of the the revenue that would be lost by Nebraska and Colorado (which would decrease the number I gave you above) where as Dan Beebe specifically talked about the forfeiture money. Let's give ISU the benefit of the doubt and say they get their full share of the money from forfeiture and maintained revenue (one-time sum of 1.5 - 2 million and a yearly increase of 1.5 - 2 million), but the reality is that they will not be getting some or all of the increase in revenue from these two sources.

The ESPN contract is not up until 2015 and while the Fox contract will end next year, they have the option of renewing (as Jon Miller mentioned) without substantial increases. So while you might be excited about a big increase in future paydays, it wouldn't be surprising if renegotiated contracts and large paydays came until 2015.

So the most likely positive scenario is an annual increase of about 1.5 - 2 million dollars yearly for the next 5 years until contracts are renegotiated which will lead to a big payday for the new Big 12.

There are some other considerations that need to be made. As Jamie Pollard stated 40% of revenues come from sources outside of TV like Bowls. Current bowl contracts for the Big 12 go until 2013. Do you think that this conference (with the loss of perennial travel Nebraska and a drop from 12 to 10 schools) will maintain all of those contracts with the likes of the Holiday and Insight Bowl after schools like Missouri and Oklahoma State frequent them and cannot sell enough tickets?

Also, Jamie freely admitted that some of the schools offered a change in distribution for the maintained revenue that would have gone to Colorado and Nebraska. Do you really think Texas, Oklahoma and TAMU are not going to take the extra money offered them?

Dan Beebe mentioned that no contract of committal was signed by Texas, Oklahoma or TAMU to keep them in the conference. Just a verbal "we are in" was stated. How could that possibly be a positive? Unless a renegotiation of the TV contract to get the increased revenue is done in the very near future, I think we will be talking about conference realignment involving members of the new Big 12 year after year.

I agree with the 1.5-2 million, at best $3million. The funnny thing is, inflation alone over a 10 year period (from when the contracts were originally signed) would add about 1.5-2million.

Latest posts