ISU might be the school to no longer want Cy-Hawk game

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
per a tweet from Chip Brown, the UT Minister of Information, he says Texas may announce as early as today that it wants to remain in the Big 12. This will put pressure on Texas A&M to force them to stay in the league and not leave to the SEC, something Texas probably didn't anticipate. Texas doesnt want to join the Pac 10 without their historic rival, and as many common Big 12 (read Big 12 South) rivals.

So they stay, regroup and move forward...saving the conference and their automatic Big 12 bid. Likely ending the Big 12 championship game, unless they add two more teams, and possibly playing nine conference games per year.

In this scenario, does Iowa State want to continue to play the Cy-Hawk football game?

Because some years, they would have four conference home games to five road games...and in all years, they would play Texas and Oklahoma. Do they want to play a home and home series against Iowa, in light of all of that? Maybe not.

From a financial standpoint, they have to earn more money by playing a patsy in Jack Trice, don't they? It's a home game after all...you get the gate, you get it all other than the payout for the visiting team. And you probably want three such games for a few reasons..the economic reason just listed, and also to make it as likely as possible to qualify for a bowl game with six or seven wins. Not saying they can't beat Iowa, because they have shown they can. Rather, you schedule a 3-0 non conference schedule and if you go 4-5 in Big 12 play, you have seven wins and automatic bowl qualification. 2-1 out of conference, if you lose to Iowa, the road to a bowl game is tougher.

Interesting stuff...lot of ramifications...

but you can't sell out the jack with patsy's (like the home team) and you can't charge $90 a ticket or make the patsy buy a season ticket to get into the game.

i thought this would happen all along. texas gets what they want, you have to replace a team or two (texas doesn't care who is in the league, all they care about is a tv network that is highly favorable to them) and back to 'normal'.

I think they have to continue to play the home and home versus Iowa solely for the financial reasons.

Remember they have to be athletically self sufficient going forward and that game is a HUGE gate every other year. Unlike Iowa fans ISU fans wont come out in significant numbers to watch thier team play some D1AA team or directional U.

but you can't sell out the jack with patsy's (like the home team) and you can't charge $90 a ticket or make the patsy buy a season ticket to get into the game..

Having been to their home opener the last three years against patsies, they have done a good job of filling the place up.

I think they have to continue to play the home and home versus Iowa solely for the financial reasons.

Remember they have to be athletically self sufficient going forward and that game is a HUGE gate every other year. Unlike Iowa fans ISU fans wont come out in significant numbers to watch thier team play some D1AA team or directional U.

But every year the game is played at Kinnick, ISU loses money. You can't tell me that they wouldn't be able to get more than 55,000 fannies at JT in two years. They'd exceed that by at least 15-20,000 regardless of who they played. Jon's right. Financially it doesn't make sense for ISU.

id be shocked if this game ever got cancelled and if it did college football tradition would be down the tubes...its slowly going that direction

They don't loose money when they play at Iowa. They get a % of the game. The % of the gate they get from playing Iowa in addition to the 50,000+ tickets at $90 a pop they get playing the home games every other year far exceeds the amount of revenue they would generate selling 20k tickets to suckers watching them play a pushover at home every year.

They don't loose money when they play at Iowa. They get a % of the game. The % of the gate they get from playing Iowa in addition to the 50,000+ tickets at $90 a pop they get playing the home games every other year far exceeds the amount of revenue they would generate selling 20k tickets to suckers watching them play a pushover at home every year.

Yes, but they have had many more than 20k when they play the no-namers.

I'm really sick of seeing all the retweets of their crap (Chip brown / orangebloods.com) - Texas is really looking like a bully in this whole ordeal, if you ask me. I think this entire move the the Pac-10 was a bluff to make Neb and Col make the move first. Then, they "stay" and look like the good guy and still keep a large chunk of the B12 revenues. I'd love to see A&M bolt for the SEC now and say Eff-you horns.

Back to your original post, it definitely makes sense. I said in a different thread...IA-ISU would be fine playing a home-and-home once a decade.

I heard before this conference stuff even happened that both schools were considering ending the game because the hate between the two schools has grown exponentially in recent years. Despite what Iowa fans think, ISU probably would like to drop the game just as much as many Iowa fans would. There was 52k at last years game vs. 50.5k against Army two weeks later. Probably wouldn't be a big deal financially if you figure they would get a home game in that spot every year.

They know they will get butts in the seats no matter what. Fans always have flocked to that concrete ediface to see the inflatable helmet, smoke machine, and storm siren. Plus, who could ignore the great Cyclone tradition like having an organized cheer for every first down, and showing up to every game wearing a Beat Iowa shirt?

Kerkhoff: The Star learned athletic officials from five schools — KU, Mizzou, K-State, Iowa State and Baylor — were connected by conference call on Saturday to get a lay of the land.

Big 12 schools mull their options - KansasCity.com

So we have the 4 remaining Big 12 N members and Baylor trying to hang together, but five others divided over what they want to do. Something tells me any compromise is a temporary fix.

50k tickets at $90 a pop? Most of those were season tickets....can't count those in your revenue projections.

They know they will get butts in the seats no matter what. Fans always have flocked to that concrete ediface to see the inflatable helmet, smoke machine, and storm siren. Plus, who could ignore the great Cyclone tradition like having an organized cheer for every first down, and showing up to every game wearing a Beat Iowa shirt?

+1

Because some years, they would have four conference home games to five road games...and in all years, they would play Texas and Oklahoma. Do they want to play a home and home series against Iowa, in light of all of that? Maybe not.

just make sure the Iowa home year lines up with the 4 home conf games year

Yr A ...
Home: 4 conf games, Iowa, 2 bad teams
Away: 5 conf games

Yr B ...
Home: 5 conf games, 2 bad teams
Away: 4 conf games, Iowa

the only bad part of this schedule is no variation in road trips

That second line that you wrote is one of the finest lines of prose that I have ever read! I spit up my morning coffee on that smoke machine crack. May I quote you?

Latest posts