Ismael Smith Flores, Son of Leroy Smith, Talks Iowa Offer

Well, that was an enjoyable read.
The only loser here is Smith-Flores.

Just one more victim in a long line of recruits and their families who've bought into the lies, promises, and bullshit spewed by Nebraska's wet blanket coaching staff. Sorry to say, but he's going to find out the hard way that he just wrecked his football career.

He also knows that Luke Lachey has 3 more years if he wants it, and All has 2 more years. He'd never get the playing time he wants anyways.

Much ado about nothing.

When it comes to TE recruits that have offers from Iowa and turn them down I just have a tough tough time with comprehending that. Are all these kids hung up on the $ combined with the glitz and glam. I mean if Iowa offers a TE they should be jumping at it. It takes two hands to count all the good ones we've had the last handful of years for peats sake.

We've swung and missed on more then a few the last few yrs too it hasn't just been this kid. Heck Neb got a TE kid a couple yrs ago we wanted pretty bad. And that Markway kid went to LSU I think. We've been doing just fine so far but landing a stud at the position once in awhile sure wouldn't hurt.

He also knows that Luke Lachey has 3 more years if he wants it, and All has 2 more years. He'd never get the playing time he wants anyways.

Much ado about nothing.
Nebraska has 11 TE's currently on their '23 roster. I seriously doubt playing time was much, if any, part of his decision. I would suggest that the biggest factor not mentioned might is that his high school coach is now the TE position coach at NE.

“It sped up the process not having to build that relationship with my position coach," Smith Flores said. "He knows my game better than anybody else, and this year was my first year playing so he’s seen me since day one on the field.”

NE much like WI is making some noise with some of their recruiting efforts.

NE much like WI is making some noise with some of their recruiting efforts.
Nebraska's recruiting classes have ranked much higher than Iowa in every year except one since Pelini left, and they've sucked worse than almost every Big Ten team since Pelini left.

That program is broken, and every year the talking heads say it's "their year" to start turning things around.

Ain't happening. Matt Rhule is the next Callahan/Riley/Frost/Joseph/[insert failed coach here.]

Nebraska's recruiting classes have ranked much higher than Iowa in every year except one since Pelini left, and they've sucked worse than almost every Big Ten team since Pelini left.

That program is broken, and every year the talking heads say it's "their year" to start turning things around.

Ain't happening. Matt Rhule is the next Callahan/Riley/Frost/Joseph/[insert failed coach here.]
That broken program was enough to dampen our finish. We need to worry about our own broken components.

I guess I'm not as sure about that... I hope you're right. I just think with NIL he's got things going a positive direction so far early on. He seems like a good college coach (more so then pro for sure). Time will tell.

I guess I'm not as sure about that... I hope you're right. I just think with NIL he's got things going a positive direction so far early on. He seems like a good college coach (more so then pro for sure). Time will tell.
People thought the same thing about Riley and Frost tbh.

Rhule had one good year with a P5 team using someone else's recruits, and never beat a ranked team in 3 years.

The whole Temple turnaround thing is about as applicable as Scott Frost's "natty." The Big Ten is big boy football and Rhule hasn't done squat at that level.

People thought the same thing about Riley and Frost tbh.

Rhule had one good year with a P5 team using someone else's recruits, and never beat a ranked team in 3 years.

The whole Temple turnaround thing is about as applicable as Scott Frost's "natty." The Big Ten is big boy football and Rhule hasn't done squat at that level.
The only caveat to all this is that he's still in the BIG West. A west that has new coaches at Purdue and Wisconsin as well. If he was in the East I'd say well yeah their ceiling is no higher then Indianas most of the time. But the West I'm afraid has some winnable games for them even if they aren't great either. Again I'm not trying to argue for them I hope they lose every damn game. I just see a path for them to be more then a doormat unfortunately

This has been said about every coach over there since Solich. Quit worrying about them, they’re never going to be great again.

If you want to spend some time in panic mode, focus on what Fickle has done so far at Wisconsin. And, he hasn’t even coached a game yet.

This has been said about every coach over there since Solich. Quit worrying about them, they’re never going to be great again.
Well not every coach.. NIL is a game changer that's still pretty early on in knowing what it's impact will be. Like it or not Neb has $ and they are waving it around. I don't think they'll be great anytime soon by any means. But can they be formidable and not basement dwellers sooner then later? I mean they beat us when we really wished they wouldn't have. This is one of those topics where what I want and what I think are drastically different. I'll be happy as hell if he's Frost 2.0 I just doubt he will

Nebraska hired his high school coach and then also landed a receiver from that school that's ranked higher than Smith-Flores

I'm reminded of the old advice............ you should commit to a school not to a coach. Don't think that advice carries as many listening ears today as in years gone by.........and it probably shouldn't now that NIL and the portal are involved.

You can criticize NE's hiring of the HS coach to gain inroads for a player or two (if that was their primary reason) but I've also read this coach has good connections to position NE for future TX talent.

I'm reminded of the old advice............ you should commit to a school not to a coach. Don't think that advice carries as many listening ears today as in years gone by.........and it probably shouldn't now that NIL and the portal are involved.

You can criticize NE's hiring of the HS coach to gain inroads for a player or two (if that was their primary reason) but I've also read this coach has good connections to position NE for future TX talent.
See that depends... How high up their priority list is school and their major? If you're a legit player that has pro potential then what coaching staff you're with is a huge thing. Granted for 95% of the players or more in college a pro future isn't a reality and it shouldn't be. So it all just depends on the kid.

Much ado about nothing.
But, I'm not sure WR isn't out of the question. He'd be a big body WR. He's 6'5" which is a good size for a couple position options. I guess it may come down to his speed. But, I don't think we can just assume at this point it would be solely TE.

Sad thing is that broken down POS program still whipped our ass on our field. With all the garbage over there........where the hell are we? Still not satisfied here........changes have not been enough, tough to lose legacy players for sure.