Isaiah Moss

Hawk5656

At what point does Fran realize he's not good enough to carry the load for this team? He thinks he's the best player on the team and runs offense for him like he is and he always disappears. Draw something new up Fran!

Its really too bad. Last year I thought he was going to be the next Marble/Jok type player that can find ways to get his own shot and leads the team in scoring. Right now he looks like a lost bench player.

At what point does Fran realize he's not good enough to carry the load for this team? He thinks he's the best player on the team and runs offense for him like he is and he always disappears. Draw something new up Fran!
Lol what?? He played less minutes last night than Ellingson and Dailey, same with the Indiana game.

I understand the point of the troll though, you’re trying to knock Moss while being subtle about it.

No need to be subtle. Moss is like a great magician, in that he has perfected the disappearing act.

Poor handles, streaky shooter and really bad decision-making. If he misses his first few shots to start the game Fran may as well sit him. He just never recovers from a poor start. Perhaps the most disappointing player on our team. He's not even drawing teams best defender or being doubled. I can't say I see any improvements from his 1st game here to now.

Poor handles, streaky shooter and really bad decision-making. If he misses his first few shots to start the game Fran may as well sit him. He just never recovers from a poor start. Perhaps the most disappointing player on our team. He's not even drawing teams best defender or being doubled. I can't say I see any improvements from his 1st game here to now.
And I would add, has no idea how to get himself open using screens. Look at what happened when we let Bohannon run through those screens for a few possessions, he instantly got two or three open looks.

And I would add, has no idea how to get himself open using screens. Look at what happened when we let Bohannon run through those screens for a few possessions, he instantly got two or three open looks.

Great point and observation. Most of the time our spacing is so poor it wouldn't matter anyway. Its maddening that guys who have played their whole lives are so incredibly poor at fundamentals and basic basketball IQ.

you mean like when fran sat moss and went with Cook, JBo, Dailey, Ellingson and Nunge down the stretch or at other stretches of the game? Moss played 17 minutes. Dailey 18. Ellingson 30 and JBO 31. So Moss played the least minutes of all of the guards that played. Fran goes with the hot hand. Moss does disappear, i'm not disputing that. Fran doesn't continue to play him when he disappears.

Great point and observation. Most of the time our spacing is so poor it wouldn't matter anyway. Its maddening that guys who have played their whole lives are so incredibly poor at fundamentals and basic basketball IQ.
That’s what happens when you grow up playing AAU ball in Chicago where you get zero coaching and can win games off sheer athleticism. Look at Illinois, they’ve been bringing in highly rated recruits, many from the Chicago area, only to find out they have never been taught the game the right way. It’s not much different in many of the deficiencies we have seen with Tyler Cook.

Actually, he got 4 open looks. I'm pretty sure there were only 4 possessions where they had him running off screens too. I was really impressed with him getting open that way. I didn't think he had that in him. I figured he's too slow and too short to get open that way. I should have know with hiw quick his release is. I was wrong and I officially don't want him at point guard anymore.

Unfortunately I was right about Moss. I just never saw what others were seeing. That's not to say he can't still eventually become a good player.

It might be the Ogelsby syndrome. They see stuff/success in practice but it just hasn't translated to the game, at least yet.

Last edited:

These Iowa teams have THE WORST passing lanes of any Iowa team I can remember. Goes back to the spacing and ball movement with the pass. Freaking pass the ball and move the defense already! How many times did Cook or the rest of the team pass right into a defender last night? They had a lot of passing TO's.

you mean like when fran sat moss and went with Cook, JBo, Dailey, Ellingson and Nunge down the stretch or at other stretches of the game? Moss played 17 minutes. Dailey 18. Ellingson 30 and JBO 31. So Moss played the least minutes of all of the guards that played. Fran goes with the hot hand. Moss does disappear, i'm not disputing that. Fran doesn't continue to play him when he disappears.

I was wondering where Garza was most the game. Kept asking my wife. He just sat on the bench then came in later cold. Either guys never get into the flow of the game or they go out and sit with the huge rotation and get cold and out of the flow. There is never any flow to Iowa. It's a constant mix and match and never consistency with personnel.

Moss doesn't seem to have the killer instinct or attitude that he wants to be the man. Maybe I"m wrong, but he by far has been the biggest disappointment. He really struggles with his handle, has turned it over numerous times just trying to dribble. Without handles, he can't take it to the rim. No one on the team can, hence the 8 free throws last night while hoisting 36 threes.

I was wondering where Garza was most the game. Kept asking my wife. He just sat on the bench then came in later cold. Either guys never get into the flow of the game or they go out and sit with the huge rotation and get cold and out of the flow. There is never any flow to Iowa. It's a constant mix and match and never consistency with personnel.
Garza is an absolutely liability out there right now, he is so slow and has no idea where to go on defense. His stretch of play in the 2H cost us the game in my opinion. If I were making a rotation right now he would certainly not be in it.

Edit: I wish I could find the video of the ISU and one dunk. Garza was playing the bottom of Iowa’s zone and sprinted (well stomped I should say) out to a guy that past the free throw line extended area and clapped his hands like he was going to effect the pass. The guy dropped it down for an easy and one slam. The look on Baer’s face was priceless.

It looks to me like the game hasn't slowed down for Luka. He's in constant foul trouble. He played 7 minutes and had 2 fouls last night. Garza may be a season away from really contributing, unless the lights turn on down the road this season. I think the main players the rest of this season will be Cook, JBo, Nunge, Moss, Ellingson, Pemsl and Baer. Then, Dailey and/or Conner. I think Garza and Kreiner are having issues fitting into this seasons team. Wagner cannot score consistently, so he's losing minutes, big time. Above all else, Fran is looking for consistency, both offensively and defensively. Pemsl needs to be careful because he's teetering on inconsistent.

This is quoted in Rob's Game Wrap article.

"Cyclone coach Steve Prohm said after the game that he told his team that Iowa was prone to turnovers. His guys didn’t press, rather they pressured the ball and the passing lanes. It worked."

Garza is an absolutely liability out there right now, he is so slow and has no idea where to go on defense. His stretch of play in the 2H cost us the game in my opinion. If I were making a rotation right now he would certainly not be in it.

Edit: I wish I could find the video of the ISU and one dunk. Garza was playing the bottom of Iowa’s zone and sprinted (well stomped I should say) out to a guy that past the free throw line extended area and clapped his hands like he was going to effect the pass. The guy dropped it down for an easy and one slam. The look on Baer’s face was priceless.

Yes, I did see that and him getting beat bad on D.

Moss played 17 minutes. 7 other players played more minutes than Moss. Who exactly thinks he's the best player on the team?

Yeah, Moss aint there yet - instead, other players are getting minutes. That's what is best right now. I was encouraged by a lot last night. The turnovers hurt... but I thought BE, JB and MD all played better then at most points this season. Nunge seemed to have a coming out party and it seemed to me that Fran is starting to identify what is going to work for this team. It sucked to lose, but I am more hopeful after last night then I was a week ago. It was a bad ISU team... and I realize that,but, the team at least had a pulse last night.

Latest posts