Is Tony Barbee Iowa's new coach?

This would be a good hire....young, energetic, good recruiter, creates some buzz. I would welcome this over some of the other names floated around lately.

I dont care who our coach is as long as its not those two that everyone was talking about earlier today.

This tells me we have moved to the B list.

Don't think we were ever on the A List to begin with unfortunately. The reality is that Barta couldn't get an "A List" coach for this university and it doesn't help most of us thought we could - we set our expectations way to high!

I don't like this, but i will say that there is a good chance that he would be able to recruit much bigger names to come to Iowa over UTEP.. so I guess it COULD be a good hire, but I wouldn't be excited.

My top choice right now is Hewitt against everybody else... I think he could be a solid b10 coach and bring in top notch guys to the hawks.

I have to say I think I would rather have Forbes than Barbee

Barbee has been known as a good recruiter and has turn UTEP into a competitive team most recently. He is a head coach. I'll take a head coach with his capabilities over a assistant coach like Forbes. No offense to Forbes. Barbee is more appealing.

This tells me we have moved to the B list.

I have to say if you think Barbee is on the B list you had some unreasonable expectations. If your A list was Bruce Pearl, Jay Wright, Turgeon, Drew, Romar, etc. You must not realize how bad of a job this is right now. These are all coaches that would basically be insane to leave their job.
The current A-list would include coaches such at Barbee, Forbes, maybe Buzz Williams, Paul Hewitt and Brian Gregory all if interested. B listers would include Marshall, Lusk, Jacobsen (Although his stock is rising).
This job is not going to land any top name players, it's simply not. The sooner some fans get that through their heads the easier the transition will be for all involved. I hate to say it, but I don't think Barta is going to make the 'giant splash' everyone is hoping for.

I dont care who our coach is as long as its not those two that everyone was talking about earlier today.

Oh great. Barbee's profile is similar to our last two hires (young, mid-major, flavor of the week, Indiana native, first DI school) without the Sweet 16 appearances. [sarcasm off]

Seriously, I would be fine with Barbee if he is the best overall fit for Iowa. However, it is crazy to say that Barbee is more qualified than someone like Gregg Marshall.

"Iowa newspapers report the UTEP coach is now a serious candidate with the Hawkeyes and expect Iowa to name a new coach within the week."

What papers are saying this?

You do not want Hewett! I live in Atlanta and every Tech fan I know wants him gone! He would not have Atlanta to pull from, and is a terrible X and O's Coach! There is a reason Tech is willing to waive his buyout to get rid of him! He is also a baby with the press! Please not Hewett!

Oh great. Barbee's profile is similar to our last two hires (young, mid-major, flavor of the week, Indiana native, first DI school) without the Sweet 16 appearances. [sarcasm off]

Seriously, I would be fine with Barbee if he is the best overall fit for Iowa. However, it is crazy to say that Barbee is more qualified than someone like Gregg Marshall.

Indiana native? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Latest posts