Is this the best team we can put on the floor?

hawkeye12345

Bawinkel got used more than a condom on prom night. So the kid can shoot the three standing still but he plays defense the same way. Its amazing to watch a team just go after him once they know who he is guarding. I had to stop counting how many times his man went the hole or got a hand on a rebound.

It just baffles the living hell out of me why he is seeing 20+ minutes in a game.

Brommer played half the minutes and scored one less point, had one less rebound, and one more steal.

I know we don't have a lot of depth on the team but if Lick's kid is going to get in and see minutes then don't you think that the kids that Lick recruited should see some significant game time too? Last night was only the third game that Brommer saw double digit minutes and only his 6th game even playing this year. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's the answer either but how are you going to know if he is any good if he doesn't get his minutes? If he's not that good then Lick needs to cut the cord and move on. Scholarships are yearly renewable.

We know we aren't going to a post season tournament this year so lets at least find out what we've got for the future. Bawinkel is a Sr and adds very little to this team.

Cougill played 12 minutes last night, wtf? Did Lick think that his foot speed was going to improve or did he just need to land a body for his recruiting class? The kid is slow but he tries and is a big body for underneath the basket. Get him more game minutes and get him ready for his Jr / Sr year.

Fuller is a 6-6 Forward? At 6-6 we should be embarassed to have him listed as a F. iirc he played a lot of wing in high school - maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Get the kids minutes in the positions that suite them.

i wouldn't call cougill slow. do you know what he ran the mile in in pre-season workouts? i know that isn't what you are referring to, however........a 6+' mile for a guy of his size is impressive to at least me. that catch and shoot basket he made v. ISU right before half showed his quickness and agility too.....just have to use his strengths....

i wouldn't call cougill slow. do you know what he ran the mile in in pre-season workouts? i know that isn't what you are referring to, however........a 6+' mile for a guy of his size is impressive to at least me. that catch and shoot basket he made v. ISU right before half showed his quickness and agility too.....just have to use his strengths....

Speed in Basketball= ability to move laterally/speed from end line to end line

Cougill has poor lateral movement when guarding players away from the hoop and he is not that quick end line to end line, hence he is a slow basketball player.

I think Cougill can be a usefull player but he has to be used properly. I actually like the way he does the pick n pop. It would be nice if he were more of a back to the basket guy though. We could use a good big man to throw the ball down low to and have that big man get a foul/score consistently.

Iowa has a lot of poor on ball defenders right now. They MUST play good team defense, to have any success at stopping players.

Iowa had a lot of lapses against Minny where the lane was wide open to cutting Minny players. I don't know, but Iowa's defense Saturday was about the worst I have seen this year.

Speed in Basketball= ability to move laterally/speed from end line to end line

Cougill has poor lateral movement when guarding players away from the hoop and he is not that quick end line to end line, hence he is a slow basketball player.

I think Cougill can be a usefull player but he has to be used properly. I actually like the way he does the pick n pop. It would be nice if he were more of a back to the basket guy though. We could use a good big man to throw the ball down low to and have that big man get a foul/score consistently.

Iowa has a lot of poor on ball defenders right now. They MUST play good team defense, to have any success at stopping players.

Iowa had a lot of lapses against Minny where the lane was wide open to cutting Minny players. I don't know, but Iowa's defense Saturday was about the worst I have seen this year.

I understand what you mean, but I think he is serviceable.

Using your definition of basketball speed, which is a good one, who is fast on this team? I'm guessing no one. Hard to put it on just one guy.

I understand what you mean, but I think he is serviceable.

Using your definition of basketball speed, which is a good one, who is fast on this team? I'm guessing no one. Hard to put it on just one guy.

Both of you are saying what I'm thinking. If the kids are used right, used in their correct positions, accentuate their strengths, then we could be a much better team.

I wasn't trying to rip on Cougill at all as I think the kid can play stellar ball for Iowa IF USED RIGHT. Why in the hell is he guarding Cs out to the 3 point line? Why is he setting screens so far out? He is too slow to play help defense on guards but he sure as hell could patrol the middle with that body to keep the guards honest.

Fuller might be able to play C for the 6'6" and under league. Again, not trying to rip the kid because I like his game. I just feel that he is being used outside of his comfort zone and he's going up against players that are taller and bigger than he is. Same for Gatens and May. We seem to have a group of tweeners that are all being asked to play the next higher position (2 playing 3, 3 playing 4, etc.) instead of playing them at their correct position. This primarily is due to our lack of height down low.

We need 1) a big man that can play the true C position and 2) another PG that can dribble drive AND score. Hello JUCO.

6-6 is plenty big to play forward in the NBA let alone division 1 basketball. The problem is his size and skill set is comparable to that of a small forward and hes being forced to play more of a PF role at least on defense. It's kind of like being one hitter short in baseball, everyone is forced to move up one spot in the order and play out of position. The lineup looks terrible as a result.

In reality if Tucker were still playing we are probably only 3 players away (A 2nd PG, A true big man, and one more swing player) from having a decent squad. The bad thing is that help wont come until next year.

It would be nice if he were more of a back to the basket guy though. We could use a good big man to throw the ball down low to and have that big man get a foul/score consistently.

Cougs has this in his game. Hasn't be able/allowed to use it.

Balwinkel looks lost on D and when we have the ball and his designated spot on the floor for our offense is the corner of the court waiting to be double teamed so he can't pass out of the situation. Cougill's foot speed is terrible at this point and he looks like he's a waffle away from me thinking he's John Candy's love child. He can't jump at all,hopefully they put him on a diet or work his *** off the next year. Brommer looks like a deer in headlights when he's on the court, seriously he must be thinking if I miss 2 freethrows again i'll never play again,EVER! Cole can only take the ball to the basket in 1 direction so the defense overplays to his strong side cause they know he has no other moves to the basket with the ball. Payne is being pressured down the court constantly cause they know he'll go back to streetball ways and do some behind the back, between the legs, carry the ball move that will be thrown out of bounds anyway. Fuller scored 15 points and whatever rebounds, the other night, he's lucky he's not on the bench(see David Palmer)! Gatens has the look on his face like I could've signed with UNI what the hell am I doing here? May? He plays his rear off so you know they'll be cutting his playing time soon! Saved the best for last Little Lick the only player on the court who looks to not have a problem in the world, and why not Dad has to go home to Mrs. Lick where Dads b*lls are in a jar, up on the mantle, so he's got to play me! I'm just kidding! Our coach plays the players that give us a chance to win, bottom line, or bottom line he won't be around much longer!

Balwinkel looks lost on D and when we have the ball and his designated spot on the floor for our offense is the corner of the court waiting to be double teamed so he can't pass out of the situation. Cougill's foot speed is terrible at this point and he looks like he's a waffle away from me thinking he's John Candy's love child. He can't jump at all,hopefully they put him on a diet or work his *** off the next year. Brommer looks like a deer in headlights when he's on the court, seriously he must be thinking if I miss 2 freethrows again i'll never play again,EVER! Cole can only take the ball to the basket in 1 direction so the defense overplays to his strong side cause they know he has no other moves to the basket with the ball. Payne is being pressured down the court constantly cause they know he'll go back to streetball ways and do some behind the back, between the legs, carry the ball move that will be thrown out of bounds anyway. Fuller scored 15 points and whatever rebounds, the other night, he's lucky he's not on the bench(see David Palmer)! Gatens has the look on his face like I could've signed with UNI what the hell am I doing here? May? He plays his rear off so you know they'll be cutting his playing time soon! Saved the best for last Little Lick the only player on the court who looks to not have a problem in the world, and why not Dad has to go home to Mrs. Lick where Dads b*lls are in a jar, up on the mantle, so he's got to play me! I'm just kidding! Our coach plays the players that give us a chance to win, bottom line, or bottom line he won't be around much longer!

i think you are right on with Gatens AND little lick. little lick does look like he is having fun out there - you can see him smiling and laughing often. good for him.

I know lots of 6 minute milers that are slow and not athletic.

Cougill has not impressed me too much. He hit a few shots in his early playing time, but since he seams like he has to chuck a three the minute he gets his hands on the ball. He needs a year to work on his body and slow his game down. He might be OK someday, but not this year.

Latest posts