Is this the best Iowa team ever?

KyleHawk

I know this team doesn't have the big name players. We dont have an explosive offense or a 10 point per game defense but we are 12-0. A school record for wins and possibly 3 more coming. So I'm leaving it up to you guys to discuss......Is this th best Iowa team ever?

We should know around 10:30 CST on Saturday night. If we go 13-0 it would be hard to argue against this being the best Iowa TEAM ever. Perhaps not the most talented but the best TEAM. The chemistry and grit of this group is amazing.

"Talent wins games, teamwork and intelligence wins championships." --- Michael Jordan

We should know around 10:30 CST on Saturday night. If we go 13-0 it would be hard to argue against this being the best Iowa TEAM ever. Perhaps not the most talented but the best TEAM. The chemistry and grit of this group is amazing.

"Talent wins games, teamwork and intelligence wins championships." --- Michael Jordan

This. Not the most talented but possibly the best.

This isn't even the best Ferentz team (or the second best, debatable on third best with 08/04 teams)

One thing this team does though as Ferentz has mentioned many times, they play well together and they play hard. If the 2010 team had this much chemistry and heart, that team would have been Iowa's best team.

They are very good. I'll hold off on direct comparison to the best. They've been better than their opponents every week.
The whole is more then the sum of the parts. The parts aren't too shabby either. They have excellent team chemistry and the drive to win. They've had a little luck, but as they say, you make you're own luck.

CJB is a real gamer and will stay with a play until there is no chance. So far he's managed to avoid getting killed out there.
The interior offensive line is up there with 2008, 2002, late 2001. They are young at offensive tackle and players have stepped up when there were injuries. Run blocking has been there pretty much all year. Pass pro blocking has been something of a work in progress for many of the young guys. It's rare that you have three legitimate starters at running back, plus an up and coming 3rd down back. They've been able to dial up a hot back all season long. The receivers have been adequate with Vandeberg and Krieger-Coble being the go-to guys, and the rest filling in around them.

Linebacker is very good after a sub-par year. The defensive line has been good against the run. They have done as well as could be expected after losing Drew Ott their best defensive lineman. They've gotten a little warn down late in the season and have had some trouble getting pressure on the opposing QB. The defensive backs have been very good over all. King and Lomax have been outstanding. There have been a few missed assignments in pass protection along the way.

Special teams have been solid. There have been a few gaffs here and there, but so far they have come through when needed.

This isn't even the best Ferentz team (or the second best, debatable on third best with 08/04 teams)

One thing this team does though as Ferentz has mentioned many times, they play well together and they play hard. If the 2010 team had this much chemistry and heart, that team would have been Iowa's best team.

Going to disagree with you. Competitive sports are ultimately judged by wins and losses. While statistically speaking there may have been better seasons, I think it ultimately comes down to wins and losses and this team went 12-0 throughout the regular season. Time will tell how it plays out from this point on but based on a regular season record of 12-0 I think its nearly impossible that this isn't the best Ferentz era team. Hard to do any better then winning every game on the schedule.

It depends on what you mean by best. In terms of pure talent it's not even close to the 2002 team, and behind the 2009 team as well. This team does seem to have the "it" factor and if they beat Michigan State I think it'd be fair to call them the best team.

I think it's too early to say if it's the best Iowa team ever. As far as a KF coached team, I would say RIGHT NOW they are tied with the 02 team. They will get what the 02 didn't get, and that is a shot to be the undisputed B1G champion. In addition, they will also get something else with a victory over MSU. A chance to compete for a National Championship. The fact is, without the playoffs, we would never have had the opportunity to play for a National Title if we went 13-0. This is the most "American" thing to happen in our country since....America. Enjoy it Hawk fans, it may never happen again.

Or King could return along with Ott and we could go all the way next year too!! :p

King and Ott next year with everyone else also developing over another off season...same corps of leaders. Preseason top 10....big year next year. NEED back to back for recruiting and to say hey, we are here again. We belong going forward.

Going to disagree with you. Competitive sports are ultimately judged by wins and losses. While statistically speaking there may have been better seasons, I think it ultimately comes down to wins and losses and this team went 12-0 throughout the regular season. Time will tell how it plays out from this point on but based on a regular season record of 12-0 I think its nearly impossible that this isn't the best Ferentz era team. Hard to do any better then winning every game on the schedule.

If we moved to the MAC and went 12-0, it wouldn't be our best team ever. It would be because our schedule got easier. There are quite a few Iowa teams that might have gone undefeated playing this schedule. They might not have too though.

King and Ott next year with everyone else also developing over another off season...same corps of leaders. Preseason top 10....big year next year. NEED back to back for recruiting and to say hey, we are here again. We belong going forward.

Yup. And then we will find ourselves in that little old problem of high expectations. The thing is, I feel like this team going forward will meet/exceed all expectations. I would expect no less than a 10 win season next year again-and that might be considered a "disappointment".

In the years I've been closely watching, the team at the end of 2008 was unstoppable had it stayed relatively intact in 2009. The first Orange Bowl year was a very, very good team as well.

Where I'm at with this year's team is that I'd like to see them win at least two more games. A variety of reasons I won't go into.

It is really a strange dichotomy this season. Not hugely talented. Yet. Mistake prone. More so than past teams with less wins. And yet? Win one more game and the anser changes. Win two more and it really changes.

This could be a two year process, as title chases often are. Next year's schedule doesn't set up horribly, but a lot of pieces need to fall into place for a team like Iowa, given the players we play. Having said this, there is opportunity, and a lot of it left for these guys.

As an example, anyone not sold on BF is utterly blind. One bright spot Friday was improved pass protect. The o line and fullbacks did a great job picking up blitz. One could say an outstanding job as compared to what it was earlier this season. I really like this group of WR, TE and FB's as blocking machines this season. These group has had so much unrecognized impact this season, it is amazing.

Many of you are mistaking "most talented" team with "best" team. This is far and away the "best" Iowa team of the last 50 years.

Latest posts