IS OUR OFFENSIVE LINE AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS?

The post was about a particular true freshman OL vying for starting time on a specific unit on this year's team before the season even starts...........no broad reference to something wrong with the program due to this example or to any history associated with Ferentz playing or not playing freshman over the years. I don't recall ever fussing about Ferentz not playing freshmen by the way. Would you care to point out where I made that statement? By the way, I wish we could compare our talent gaps with that of Alabama. They brought in twenty 4 or 5 star players in their 2015 class, we brought in one. Talent gap is a relative term.

I still stand by this being a sign of a talent gap on this unit on this year's team. Guess we'll see how it all plays out soon enough to determine if the concerns of some are legit or not.

I didn't say that you said anything. I know I didn't structure my sentences very well, but I meant that as a generality-- as many people like to say that freshmen never play-- and we were talking about freshmen playing. Well, I thought it was relevant.

I agree there is a talent gap. When you say there is a talent gap because a freshman is starting isn't a very strong argument, because a true freshman was on the two deep at Alabama last year. I think a better barometer of talent would be how many players make it to the next level, not a star-rating. There are smaller gaps in some areas, such as the Offensive line, and large ones. Say... any skill position.

They can accelerate the passing game with just a few tweaks. Lots of teams have a passing game where the ball is out very quickly. I remember Iowa around 2000 or 2001 did that pretty well. Just read the defense and do it.

There are other more prominent examples of this as well. I have a feeling Scheel will be a huge contributor.

They can accelerate the passing game with just a few tweaks. Lots of teams have a passing game where the ball is out very quickly. I remember Iowa around 2000 or 2001 did that pretty well. Just read the defense and do it.

There are other more prominent examples of this as well. I have a feeling Scheel will be a huge contributor.

It was out of necessity they had an undersized, inexperienced line. That '01 team averaged 32 points a game which seems absolutely mind boggling given what we have seen the last 14 years.

On the subject of this thread there have been several good compliments regarding the offensive line. We have a good level of running backs so if the reports on the offensive line are true then the running game should be strong. If Lester can get the passing game in line then the offense should be significantly improved.