Is KF's job to win football games or send bodies to the NFL?

I hear all this mamby pamby whining about how hard it is to win at Iowa....I'll bet Clones fans would slap you silly. All I'm going to say is look at what Snyder has done 2x at Kansas State! Losing and excuses are for one type of person a LOSER.

I disagree that motivation isn't a job of the coaches. there are many different ways to motivate and its a coaches job to know the best way to motivate each individual player

coaches are there to push buttons but if a player needs a coach to get them motivated then they are weak minded and lack pride in doing their best. i believe a kid that really wants to succeed doesnt need anything more than their own will to do their best. it is the coaches jobs to put them in the best position to win. i look at it kind of like athletes that take greenies to get up for games. my theory is if you cant get your adrenaline going for competition on your own without outside means then you are not that competitive and shouldnt be competing.

I disagree that motivation isn't a job of the coaches. there are many different ways to motivate and its a coaches job to know the best way to motivate each individual player
coaches are there to push buttons but if a player needs a coach to get them motivated then they are weak minded and lack pride in doing their best. i believe a kid that really wants to succeed doesnt need anything more than their own will to do their best. it is the coaches jobs to put them in the best position to win. i look at it kind of like athletes that take greenies to get up for games. my theory is if you cant get your adrenaline going for competition on your own without outside means then you are not that competitive and shouldnt be competing.

so you're telling me those speeches in all those sports movies don't mean sh*t? I haven't been this bummed since I found out the story of Rudy was greatly exaggerated.

the comment that worries me is the posters putting it on the coaches to get players fired up on gameday. i was a college athlete and played sports throughout hs (4 sports) and now i coach. the responsibility of the coach is to prepare the player. if the player isnt emotionally there for the game it is the players fault. i never needed a coach to fire me up and if i wasnt fired up nothing a coach said could do it. it is personal pride and desire to do your best. plus people put too much into outward emotion. players can be calm on the outside and really emotionally ready. seems like everyone wants the rah rah players. those guys are annoying and they are also usually the first ones to complain when things dont work out.

Usually if you need to preface a statement by validating your credentials as such then it's a good indication that what you're about to say doesn't stand well on its own. I agree that at the end of the day the player is the ultimate determining factor, but anyone that has been around sports at any level knows quite well that the best coaches play significant roles in firing kids up. To absolve the coach from this aspect completely is being completely disingenuous to reality.

OK so I look at it this way.

Who's the a$$-kicker on-staff?

Who cracks skulls and drills the kids into the ground, like a sort of football version of Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway? Forcing the kids to improvise, adapt, overcome?

Which member of the STAFF improvises, adapts, and overcomes? Is anyone on-staff prone to self-critical analysis? Anybody capable of seeing trouble in real time and scheming to address it and overcome it? When the hell does the staff ever ADAPT?

This public business about KF "playing the numbers is a crock". What the hell numbers does he ever see? Scores? Not a whole lot of data inside scores, but inside playcalling data? Big data. Defensive alignments? huge data. But I can find no evidence that anyone on-staff has the statistical capacity to analyze the actual games and generalize from those analyses. There are simple and obvious trends visible to anyone. Those should be glaringly obvious, underlined, circled, highlighted and CORRECTED by the staff.

We can haZ adapt? Where's the beef?

:eek:

Are these mutually exclusive duties?

I submit that it is good to have Hawkeyes in the NFL. But I wonder if a closer look is necessary at the TYPE of Hawkeyes who are in the NFL.

How many Iowa RBs are there in the NFL? WRs? "Athletes"? QBs?

I see a preponderance of linemen, TEs, LBs, and a few kickers, punters, and DBs.

If the coaching staff didn't destroy their own RBs in practice, how many Iowa RBs could there be/have been in the NFL?

Why so few QBs and WRs?

Why so few skill players in general?

So I clarify and then reiterate: Is KF's job to win football games or to send linemen, TEs, and LBs to the NFL?

:eek:

Why do these have to be mutually exclusive? Is it the job of a college newspaper adviser to put out a good, award-winning publication or to produce capable journalists who excel on the national or world stage after graduation. Is it the job of a college orchestra director to put on excellent concerts throughout the year or is it to prepare music students for possible careers as professional musicians? Is it the job of college art professors to develop work for brilliant and interesting campus displays or is it to produce professionals in a variety of arts-related fields?

I think it is possible, and expected, that they do both, and that doing one well will likely lead to the second.

To answer the OP's question, in my opinion, it is our head f b coach's job to win football games.

Given the two choices you directed us to.

To answer the OP's question, in my opinion, it is our head f b coach's job to win football games.

Given the two choices you directed us to.

M'kay......can you do that without adapting to changes in circumstance?

Trying to impose a certain model onto uncooperative reality is kind of......dumb and counterproductive.

Ferentz is going to be at Iowa for a long time yet and Iowa fans just have to accept him and his coaching for what they are...mostly an average season with a low tier bowl, and on occasion they have a good year and get a BCS bowl. His contract has ensured that Iowa can do nothing regardless of what KF does in terms of success. They simply do not have the funds to pay off a contract like that, even if they wanted to.

Fans also have to accept the fact that Iowa is falling (or stagnant, whichever) and is no longer one of the better teams in the B1G, but on occasion they will surprise people and have a nice year. Mostly, Iowa is and will be a 6-6 to 7-5 team every year. But most Iowa fans are completely happy with that "success."

Now that the B1G knows how to play Iowa, and knowing that KF will never change anything, going to a BCS game is probably going to be a rare occasion, mostly it will be lower tier bowl games, but again, most Iowa fans seem to happy with that...That's just the way it is.

Bielma and Wisconsin doesn't have a problem competing do they? Use the Minnesota example if you like but if Minnesota gets a good coach, Minnesota will be back, just like Illinois.

Bielma gets rid of staff that he thinks doesn't think is performing well enough and he adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has. Ferentz is loyal to his staff, regardless of how they are performing and values friendship to these coaches over the health of the Iowa program. KF knows one way and only one way to play football and that is not going to change, regardless of the outcomes. Kind of like Tom Davis...Davis knew one way and only way and that is how they played. It didn't matter if an opposing team had a dunkfest or hit 20 threes during a game, Davis simply would not change ANYTHING that he did. KF is just like him. He is not about to change anything and it doesn't matter if every team in the B1G knows exactly what he is going to do...he will just go ahead and do it, that is the only way KF knows. KF is basically the Tom Davis of Iowa football.

I guess you would hope the two would go hand in hand. In MOST years if Iowa sends multiple players on to the NFL then one would hope that we had a decent year. With as many players that we've sent to the league, I do think we are underachieving. If we send more guys to the NFL than tOSU, Fla, Tx, etc then I feel we should have some higher win totals in seasons than what we've had. I know all those schools have had recent 'down years' but we feally havent done much since the '09 season and that was because almost every ball went our way. I'm a Hawkeye fan through and through, but we need some good years, if we have all this NFL talent. Hopefully, its around the corner, as we have had solid, back to back recruiting classes. Now only if we can keep them here!!

Bielma gets rid of staff that he thinks doesn't think is performing well enough and he adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has.

Please tell me you're either kidding or haven't watched the Badgers play under Bielema. they have played the same game since Alvarez was coach.

Keep clueless posters on this website HAPPY .... #1

#2 Win every game that you are picked to win.. and then win every game you are NOT picked to win.

#3 Recruit and place 8 to 12 Iowa "student-athletes" graduates into the NFL every year.

#4 Win the Big Ten every 3 or 4 years and a National Championship every 10 years.

#5 Be the BEST DAMN FOOTBALL EVER!!!!

Bielma and Wisconsin doesn't have a problem competing do they? Use the Minnesota example if you like but if Minnesota gets a good coach, Minnesota will be back, just like Illinois.

Bielma gets rid of staff that he thinks doesn't think is performing well enough and he adjusts his offense and defense to the players he has. Ferentz is loyal to his staff, regardless of how they are performing and values friendship to these coaches over the health of the Iowa program. KF knows one way and only one way to play football and that is not going to change, regardless of the outcomes. Kind of like Tom Davis...Davis knew one way and only way and that is how they played. It didn't matter if an opposing team had a dunkfest or hit 20 threes during a game, Davis simply would not change ANYTHING that he did. KF is just like him. He is not about to change anything and it doesn't matter if every team in the B1G knows exactly what he is going to do...he will just go ahead and do it, that is the only way KF knows. KF is basically the Tom Davis of Iowa football.
Bert Biels did not get rid of his staff, they left for what they saw as greener pastures, for whatever reason.

Latest posts