Is KF Showing CJ the door?

I understand what you mean. I had a 5th grade English teacher who made each student make a Backing Sheet. This Backing sheet (just to **** this teacher off) measured indentations of 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, etc. on the page. If the student didn't have the correct indentation on the report, they would automatically receive an F for grade. No matter the content of the report. The teacher would measure, of course.

Yeah, that's like KF. Are you ready for a mixed metaphor? The player may be good but if the indentations are wrong, the player automatically receives an F. However if the player has the right indentations, no matter how crappy the report is, there's a chance for playing time.

I think kfootball is coming this close to losing most of the rest of the fan base. And your mixed metaphor applies as to why. The black and gold glasses are off and we are seeing details of how the personnel is being managed and it does leave the door open for speculation that kfootball will sit talent until they get their margins correct.

Regarding CJ yesterday, specifically, before the game was out of hand at 21-7, kfootball could have used CJ to at least try something new. But, if CJ had brought us back, offensively, kfootball really can't afford to have to give a passing grade to a player with the wrong margins.

Rightly or wrongly, that is the impression of many fans, now, and why I feel kfootball is on the verge of losing most of the rest of the fan base. It is becoming obvious.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go so far as to say Ferentz doesn't "like" CJ, but it's been said that CJ is too "chill," too "laid back" for Kirk. In the same breath it was said that Kirk prefers Type A people.

KF likes "Boy Scouts". Just the way he rolls.

KF likes "Boy Scouts". Just the way he rolls.

The problem is fans are being charged for a product with an expectation. 4 years without a one time sniff of the top 25, 3 losses in 4 years to really bad ISU teams, losses to the MAC and getting curb stomped by average football teams in a bad football conference is what all of this Boy Scout / Rudy (good story) football program amounts to.

When your decision making boils down to not putting the best players that you do have out on the field and not valuing what made you successful in the first place then whole thing implodes over time.

Years ago, a colleague received a reference call regarding a guy who'd recently been let go.

Nowadays lawyers advise not to respond at all to reference requests, but the caller was a friend, so the colleague decided to respond this way: "Well, he tried really hard."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

My patience with Kirk is about gone, but if CJ ends up leaving after this season, I'm done with Ferentz.

The topic on CJ leaving or not has come up a few times and I hardly think it's a done deal that he's leaving. I think if he was leaving he'd have done it before this year. Now since he's burned his RS he'd only have one year to play where ever he goes. Which is the same if say he stays here and is the backup next year. I'm not sold that he won't unseat Rudock this off season. If he keeps getting better and has a great spring and summer camp I think he beats him strait up. He's got the most upside of the two clearly. Now who knows how he's thinking things over and this year hasn't played out yet. If Jake gets hurt that opens the door wide open for him. Jake isn't exactly Brett Farve (in any way shape or form)

The topic on CJ leaving or not has come up a few times and I hardly think it's a done deal that he's leaving. I think if he was leaving he'd have done it before this year. Now since he's burned his RS he'd only have one year to play where ever he goes. Which is the same if say he stays here and is the backup next year. I'm not sold that he won't unseat Rudock this off season. If he keeps getting better and has a great spring and summer camp I think he beats him strait up. He's got the most upside of the two clearly. Now who knows how he's thinking things over and this year hasn't played out yet. If Jake gets hurt that opens the door wide open for him. Jake isn't exactly Brett Farve (in any way shape or form)

There is a flaw in your premise. He can transfer to FCS, play immediately and have 2 years not one.

As an example Joe Flacco transferred from Pitt to Delaware lit it up and made the pros after sitting behind a player.

Many good FCS programs to choose from and we all know of many examples of guys having immediate success after transferring from D-1.

There is a ton of risk waiting until his senior year to play. Can you imagine if he gets hurt in game 5 or 6 and is out for the year and does not want or get a medical redshirt? After waiting for 4 years to play when he had legit ability to start.

There is a flaw in your premise. He can transfer to FCS, play immediately and have 2 years not one.

As an example Joe Flacco transferred from Pitt to Delaware lit it up and made the pros after sitting behind a player.

Many good FCS programs to choose from and we all know of many examples of guys having immediate success after transferring from D-1.

There is a ton of risk waiting until his senior year to play. Can you imagine if he gets hurt in game 5 or 6 and is out for the year and does not want or get a medical redshirt? After waiting for 4 years to play when he had legit ability to start.

Well of course that's an option but if you think you are good enough to play D1 and are ****** about not getting PT cause you think your better I highly highly doubt that's the route he'd take. Flacco is the exception not the rule to that type of situation. You make it sound like it's a forgone conclusion that that's what he'll do. I'll be really really surprised if that's what he'd do. I think most think if he would leave he'd try and find a good fit such as what Cody Sokol did. Anytime it involves sitting out an entire year that far into the future is just impossible to predict how it'll play out. I think that unknown is what may keep him at Iowa due to the comfort level here and the chance of winning the job outright next yr. I would have liked those chances even more if Willies hadn't decided to leave.... Who knows this year isn't over yet lets see how it all plays out.

So if things don't change regarding playing time the consensus at least on HN seems to be CJ is gone.

So apparently KF is prepared to go next year with Jake and the Weigers kid, (who KF earlier this year laughed about his readiness to play), and a few true freshman. And you have to wonder about the kid Beneventi with the poor performances and disciplinary issues recently.

I really wonder if KF likes CJ all that much. How else do you explain it?

Why do people like you foment dribble like this.

Well of course that's an option but if you think you are good enough to play D1 and are ****** about not getting PT cause you think your better I highly highly doubt that's the route he'd take. Flacco is the exception not the rule to that type of situation. You make it sound like it's a forgone conclusion that that's what he'll do. I'll be really really surprised if that's what he'd do. I think most think if he would leave he'd try and find a good fit such as what Cody Sokol did. Anytime it involves sitting out an entire year that far into the future is just impossible to predict how it'll play out. I think that unknown is what may keep him at Iowa due to the comfort level here and the chance of winning the job outright next yr. I would have liked those chances even more if Willies hadn't decided to leave.... Who knows this year isn't over yet lets see how it all plays out.

Neither one of us have the stats but guys make it to the NFL from the FCS every year transfer or not. If you can play, you can play. Scouts also know you were a D1 transfer so you had D1 ability in the first place. It comes down to does CJ want to play 1 year or 2? Barring injury to Jake or a complete program meltdown which is possible Jake will be KF's guy. CJ is no fool.

Cody Sokol is not the exact same situation because he was a graduate transfer meaning he was able to transfer out and play immediately. If CJ does stay, depending on where he is academically he might qualify to do the same after next season.

I think he intends to leave for the FCS as there cannot be much trust between him and KF. KF knows this and that is why he is only seeing garbage time PT now. There was no possible reason not to have him start the second half yesterday unless you know he gone at the end of the year.

OK. First, I don't know if CJ is a better QB than JR; my guess is, neither do you. Now, lets look at this scenario: If it is in fact true that CJ is much better, I am sure the offensive coaching staff would be knowledgeable enough to figure that one out. So, they sit down with KF and tell him loud and clear that they want CJ to start. They present the logical arguments available to them that clearly show that CJ ought to be the guy. They have worked with KF every day, for tremendous numbers of hours, for years, and have an open line of communication with him. But, you are telling me that KF is so stubborn, so bias toward starting JR, that he looks his staff in the eye and tells them no, he is going to overrule them. The staff, fearing for their jobs, knuckles under to KF because he is the head man?

Are you serious? Sorry guys, but that just is NOT how big time coaching staff's operate.

OK. First, I don't know if CJ is a better QB than JR; my guess is, neither do you. Now, lets look at this scenario: If it is in fact true that CJ is much better, I am sure the offensive coaching staff would be knowledgeable enough to figure that one out. So, they sit down with KF and tell him loud and clear that they want CJ to start. They present the logical arguments available to them that clearly show that CJ ought to be the guy. They have worked with KF every day, for tremendous numbers of hours, for years, and have an open line of communication with him. But, you are telling me that KF is so stubborn, so bias toward starting JR, that he looks his staff in the eye and tells them no, he is going to overrule them. The staff, fearing for their jobs, knuckles under to KF because he is the head man?

Are you serious? Sorry guys, but that just is NOT how big time coaching staff's operate.

The head coach certainly dictates and/or can override any and every decision from the game plan, recruiting and personnel. That is why it is called the head coach and that is why he is making 4 million. Do coaches have bias? Certainly.

Show me the link to big time coaching handbook.

And, of course, CJ checks with everyone here on HN before making any decisions.....

Yeah I didn't state that well. Of course no one turns to HN to make decisions.

My point being, HN is comprised of fans ( albeit a small sample size) who are probably representative of most fans?

HN posters and fans in general seem perplexed that CJ hasn't seen more action and wouldn't be surprised if he leaves at some point.

That's my observation only. Based on what I read on HN and the people I Monday morning quarterback with.

It's the little voices in their heads that tells them these things. It's how they rationalize Jake starting over CJ. Never mind the CJ completes 10% less of his attempts than Jake, he throws a hard ball.

Yep, just like clockwork, the apologists an JR faithful come to the boards late on Sunday night after an *sswhoop'n to cherry pick posts.

You can **** and moan about this topic. There is no conclusion at this point. But, having been a big Hawkeye fan since the 70's, I have many close Hawkeye friends. We talk about the state of football a lot. I don't hear many of my friends coming to KF's support. Most like him as a leader and human being, but are sick and tired of his coaching. Most of them would welcome a change, even with the risk of the Todd Lickliter situation happening in football. Iowa football has become boring.

hadn't heard anything about disciplinary issues with JB. Can you expand on that?

But, yeah, the only way I can explain it is that kfootball wants to do it his way and if you don't fit into his model, regardless of talent, you won't play. Conversely, if you do fit into his model, you will play, also, regardless of talent.

I heard from another season ticket holder that Beneventi isn't starting and hasn't for the last few/couple games - he switched schools to play better comp this fall and thus far has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.......at least that is what this friend of mine was saying - if anyone knows any different please correct - but it seems he has some work to do......on the other hand - Boyle from Dowling is a stud - kid is strong and works hard.....so we have that going for us.....guess we will see how that pans out....

It's the little voices in their heads that tells them these things. It's how they rationalize Jake starting over CJ. Never mind the CJ completes 10% less of his attempts than Jake, he throws a hard ball.

Rudock checks down much more than CJ. That's the reason he has a higher completion percentage. CJ has a much much higher yards per completion and YPA are about equal. Teams aren't afraid to cheat with their safeties against Rudock. That's what Minnesota did.

I heard from another season ticket holder that Beneventi isn't starting and hasn't for the last few/couple games - he switched schools to play better comp this fall and thus far has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.......at least that is what this friend of mine was saying - if anyone knows any different please correct - but it seems he has some work to do......on the other hand - Boyle from Dowling is a stud - kid is strong and works hard.....so we have that going for us.....guess we will see how that pans out....

I talked to a college football scout a couple weeks ago who commented "Beneventi is terrible. Too bad Iowa's stuck with him now". Hope he's wrong.

Latest posts