Is KF Showing CJ the door?

skinnykilmer17

So if things don't change regarding playing time the consensus at least on HN seems to be CJ is gone.

So apparently KF is prepared to go next year with Jake and the Weigers kid, (who KF earlier this year laughed about his readiness to play), and a few true freshman. And you have to wonder about the kid Beneventi with the poor performances and disciplinary issues recently.

I really wonder if KF likes CJ all that much. How else do you explain it?

Last edited:
Not going to speculate about whether KF likes him or whatever.

Dont think KF is showing him the door but rather KF feels Jake is going to manage the game like he wants it. KF must not like CJ's potential reward vs risk

So if things don't change regarding playing time the consensus at least on HN seems to be CJ is gone.

So apparently KF is prepared to go next year with Jake and the Weigers kid, (who KF laughed earlier this year about his readiness to play), and a few true freshman. And you have to wonder about the kid Beneventi with the poor performances and disciplinary issues recently.

hadn't heard anything about disciplinary issues with JB. Can you expand on that?

But, yeah, the only way I can explain it is that kfootball wants to do it his way and if you don't fit into his model, regardless of talent, you won't play. Conversely, if you do fit into his model, you will play, also, regardless of talent.

hadn't heard anything about disciplinary issues with JB. Can you expand on that?

But, yeah, the only way I can explain it is that kfootball wants to do it his way and if you don't fit into his model, regardless of talent, you won't play. Conversely, if you do fit into his model, you will play, also, regardless of talent.

Perfectly said

And apparently that model is losing to MAC schools, bad ISU teams and getting 50 pointed by average teams with everything on the line to play for.

Honestly though, would you stick around for this dumpster fire? The kid has shown that not only can he play at this level but he can win and put up some impressive numbers. He has all the tools and instead of seeing the field he holds a clipboard so that captain "crap my pants when I feel the slightest bit of pressure" can guide us to close wins and huge losses against horrible teams. I certainly wouldn't stay and I think we all know what's going to transpire in the offseason...massive defections directly attributable to KF.

Honestly though, would you stick around for this dumpster fire? The kid has shown that not only can he play at this level but he can win and put up some impressive numbers. He has all the tools and instead of seeing the field he holds a clipboard so that captain "crap my pants when I feel the slightest bit of pressure" can guide us to close wins and huge losses against horrible teams. I certainly wouldn't stay and I think we all know what's going to transpire in the offseason...massive defections directly attributable to KF.

unfortunately, geeeez....I don't really want to think about it. CJ is the best QB on the team. It's a shame, really. But yeah, even if he starts the next 3 games and the bowl game, I don't know if I'd stay. CJ could think it is only a stop gap and JR comes in again next season and starts. kfootball is screwing the pooch on this one.

No, I haven't heard anything but I have zero connections to the team. Anyone?

Just based on some of KF's comments and his tone when commenting, it just makes me wonder. ?? There have been ample opportunities to put in CJ more often/sooner and it hasn't happened. Kind of contradicts what KF has said all along.

There is absolutely no denying that JR has struggled at times. Football players, all athletes/teammates know if you AREN'T getting the job done you could/should be "benched" at least temporarily. As a teammate I would be a little ****** to be busting my *** and the coach isn't addressing the struggling player. What kind of message is the coach sending to the team? I don't think it's healthy for team unity and desire/effort.

Maybe it is simply KF's apparent approach where an established starter is entrenched regardless of performance unless he is injured?? Case in point Lowdermilk. Up until the NW game he was REALLY struggling. KF even admitted that to Dolph on the radio following that game. Was there ever any thought to sitting him for awhile? Especially during that stretch of several games where he struggled per the head coach. He must be an awesome practice player.

I just don't understand the CJ thing. If it's as simple as KF being ultra stubborn or holding a grudge then he is not the leader the apologists think he is.

I don't buy it. If CJB is "being shown the door", you could have said the same thing about JVB & Rudock in 2012. Getting totally hammered by PSU and JVB takes every snap.

It's just KF being KF if you ask me.

I don't buy it. If CJB is "being shown the door", you could have said the same thing about JVB & Rudock in 2012. Getting totally hammered by PSU and JVB takes every snap.

It's just KF being KF if you ask me.

Yes, I have thought about that. The difference is the word on the street and by posters here (and Jon) was that JR wasn't close to being ready in 2012.

Absolutely not the case here. We all have seen what CJ can do, including KF.

So apparently KF is prepared to go next year with Jake and the Weigers kid, (who KF earlier this year laughed about his readiness to play), and a few true freshman. And you have to wonder about the kid Beneventi with the poor performances and disciplinary issues recently.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Ferentz doesn't "like" CJ, but it's been said that CJ is too "chill," too "laid back" for Kirk. In the same breath it was said that Kirk prefers Type A people.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Ferentz doesn't "like" CJ, but it's been said that CJ is too "chill," too "laid back" for Kirk. In the same breath it was said that Kirk prefers Type A people.

Huh. I wulda thot just the opposite, the way he went rogue in the video last week. Then again, the "hey, dudes" generally tell it like it is. Truth trumps loyalty. Unfortunately for CJB, truth means GTFO.

See ya in the front row of the Downtown Athletic Club in a couple, CJB. Too bad it will be jabba da Bert behind ya and not der KirkFer.

I could see this. Kirk admitted one time that he thought he'd end up as an English teacher, and you can definitely see that in the way he runs his program.

I could see this. Kirk admitted one time that he thought he'd end up as an English teacher, and you can definitely see that in the way he runs his program.

My English teachers were daring by comparison.

"Milton, you say? Nay, to Joyce posthaste!"

I'd be pizzed as hell if I were CJ. This coach has been playing CJ like a puppet all year stating they'd give him some playing time. He then gets put in today in garbage time when it really doesn't matter or he doesn't have a chance to change the outcome of the game. screw it. I'm done. I'm at the point as a fan, I really don't care if CJ is in the game & Iowa ends up losing a game with him in there, because, he's more exciting & enjoyable to watch on an entertainment level. I'll live with the mistakes. It's still more enjoyable to watch and he probably can keep the team in the game & the games relatively close.

I guess I wasn't listening closely to KF's comment that both QBs would get "significant" playing minutes this season. I guess I didn't realize KF, at that time, added, "during garbage time" under his breath when referring to CJB's playing minutes.

I understand what you mean. I had a 5th grade English teacher who made each student make a Backing Sheet. This Backing sheet (just to **** this teacher off) measured indentations of 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, etc. on the page. If the student didn't have the correct indentation on the report, they would automatically receive an F for grade. No matter the content of the report. The teacher would measure, of course.

Yeah, that's like KF. Are you ready for a mixed metaphor? The player may be good but if the indentations are wrong, the player automatically receives an F. However if the player has the right indentations, no matter how crappy the report is, there's a chance for playing time.

Last edited:

So personality vs talent? That means kfootball wouldn't have played Joe Montana?

Seriously, I see plenty of type A "fire and competitiveness" from CJ when he's on the field. I also see a stronger arm and more talent and that the other players step up a notch with him in the game.