Is KF Showing CJ the door?

You can **** and moan about this topic. There is no conclusion at this point. But, having been a big Hawkeye fan since the 70's, I have many close Hawkeye friends. We talk about the state of football a lot. I don't hear many of my friends coming to KF's support. Most like him as a leader and human being, but are sick and tired of his coaching. Most of them would welcome a change, even with the risk of the Todd Lickliter situation happening in football. Iowa football has become boring.

He, 57, you're preaching to the choir. It's possible you misinterpreted my post.

I heard from another season ticket holder that Beneventi isn't starting and hasn't for the last few/couple games - he switched schools to play better comp this fall and thus far has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.......at least that is what this friend of mine was saying - if anyone knows any different please correct - but it seems he has some work to do......on the other hand - Boyle from Dowling is a stud - kid is strong and works hard.....so we have that going for us.....guess we will see how that pans out....

Appreciate the insight, TGR.

I talked to a college football scout a couple weeks ago who commented "Beneventi is terrible. Too bad Iowa's stuck with him now". Hope he's wrong.

Whether he's "Terrible"...isn't as important to Ferentz as whether he's "controllable".

All CJ has to do is look at another former hawkeye backup qb to decide if he can play somewhere else. Cody Sokol currently has 24 tds and 10 picks for a 7-3 LA Tech team. Those 10 picks are what probably scared KF away from playing him also. Sokol is completing 60% of his passes and has 2500 yards. CJ could easily go tear it up for one of those smaller schools in the south and give him self a chance to be noticed rather than sitting for another year. It had to be frustrating watching the offense completely fail Saturday and only get 11 pity minutes while down 40. The kid has more patience than most college football players in today's world.

Yep, just like clockwork, the apologists an JR faithful come to the boards late on Sunday night after an *sswhoop'n to cherry pick posts.

Where did I say anything about either of the two points you brought up? Or should I say where did I say anything about either of the two points you CONTINUE to bring up with nearly every post you make here at HN? I'm not particularly a fan of Jake; he has his faults. So does CJ. Both can play well, both can play poorly. It happens at every level, or did you not see the Packers/Bears game tonight? Who would you blame in that debacle? One individual player? One coach? Or more rightly, the effort of the entire Bears team... especially considering they had an extra week to prepare. (Kind of like Minny had a bye week before playing us)

I'm not a "glass half empty" kind of guy. I'm more of a "glass half full" kind of guy. But more precisely, I'm a "glass is too big" kind of guy. A realist who leans to the optimist side of things.

My point is that we are fans. We see the Hawks for 2-3 hours once a week and we actually take note of CJ for only a portion of that. We don't see him in class. We don't see him hanging out in the dorms. We don't see him at all the practices, chalk talks, film sessions, etc. We don't see him walking across campus. If CJ reads these posts here and uses these "facts" that so many post here as the basis for his decisions, then how the heck did he ever have the intelligence qualify for an athletic scholarship?

So if things don't change regarding playing time the consensus at least on HN seems to be CJ is gone.

So apparently KF is prepared to go next year with Jake and the Weigers kid, (who KF earlier this year laughed about his readiness to play), and a few true freshman. And you have to wonder about the kid Beneventi with the poor performances and disciplinary issues recently.

I really wonder if KF likes CJ all that much. How else do you explain it?

CJ should show Ferentz the door. Ferentz should have been terminated after the ISU game when he was totally outcoached by a buffoon. Just as in the ISU game, Iowa would have been better off without this group of coaches on the sidelines.

The head coach certainly dictates and/or can override any and every decision from the game plan, recruiting and personnel. That is why it is called the head coach and that is why he is making 4 million. Do coaches have bias? Certainly.

Show me the link to big time coaching handbook.

You did a great job of avoiding the real issue that I brought up. Of course I know what the powers of a head coach are. I worked for 5 head coaches over a period of 13 years. What I am saying is that a head coach would NOT over ride the views of his offensive staff if they were clearly advising him that he was wrong about who starts at a given position. Clear enough?

Why do people like you foment dribble like this.

Because no less than Jon Gruden (a guy who knows a little something about Quarterbacks) said that CJ should be getting playing time...he was the most talented QB.

And the word you're looking for is "drivel"...not dribble.

Because no less than Jon Gruden (a guy who knows a little something about Quarterbacks) said that CJ should be getting playing time...he was the most talented QB.

And the word you're looking for is "drivel"...not dribble.

Eddie Podolak has said pretty much the same thing. He also said the two QB system was a good idea for Iowa. KF said we would go with the hot hand after CJ beat Pitt and Purdue which obviously hasn't been the case. CJ might transfer on that basis alone, anyone might. Bottom line: this team isn't good enough to win with a game manager at QB and we won't be next year either.

It is pretty clear you start the stronger armed QB in windy situations. It would have been easier to run too with having a QB with some running abilities. Once Jake threw his pick into the wind you knew he wouldn't throw it down field again. He is timid after a mistake and it was obvious.

OK. First, I don't know if CJ is a better QB than JR; my guess is, neither do you. Now, lets look at this scenario: If it is in fact true that CJ is much better, I am sure the offensive coaching staff would be knowledgeable enough to figure that one out. So, they sit down with KF and tell him loud and clear that they want CJ to start. They present the logical arguments available to them that clearly show that CJ ought to be the guy. They have worked with KF every day, for tremendous numbers of hours, for years, and have an open line of communication with him. But, you are telling me that KF is so stubborn, so bias toward starting JR, that he looks his staff in the eye and tells them no, he is going to overrule them. The staff, fearing for their jobs, knuckles under to KF because he is the head man?

Are you serious? Sorry guys, but that just is NOT how big time coaching staff's operate.
Sneer if you must, but that was pretty much the case with Christensen/Stanzi.
Ken O'Keefe had had enough after the Pittsburgh game and laid it out.
Stanzi starts, offense becomes consistent, Christensen transfers.
If Ferentz had kept to Christensen then we don't get the miraculous 2009 run.

OK. First, I don't know if CJ is a better QB than JR; my guess is, neither do you. Now, lets look at this scenario: If it is in fact true that CJ is much better, I am sure the offensive coaching staff would be knowledgeable enough to figure that one out. So, they sit down with KF and tell him loud and clear that they want CJ to start. They present the logical arguments available to them that clearly show that CJ ought to be the guy. They have worked with KF every day, for tremendous numbers of hours, for years, and have an open line of communication with him. But, you are telling me that KF is so stubborn, so bias toward starting JR, that he looks his staff in the eye and tells them no, he is going to overrule them. The staff, fearing for their jobs, knuckles under to KF because he is the head man?

Are you serious? Sorry guys, but that just is NOT how big time coaching staff's operate.

The last four, almost five seasons, have given Hawk fans with open eyes, insight into how far under kfootballs thumb, this program really is.

Yes. The flip side is that KF *did* ultimately listen to his OC.

doclee is saying that if GDGD was making a strong case that Sunshine is head-and-shoulders above Rudock, then Sunshine would be starting. Since he's not, either a) GDGD isn't making that case, or b) KF doesn't trust his OC and is stubbornly overruling him.

Yes. The flip side is that KF *did* ultimately listen to his OC.

doclee is saying that if GDGD was making a strong case that Sunshine is head-and-shoulders above Rudock, then Sunshine would be starting. Since he's not, either a) GDGD isn't making that case, or b) KF doesn't trust his OC and is stubbornly overruling him.

That is quite a leap IMO. Kirk is far more stubborn in 2014 than he was in even 2008.

I wonder if we missed out on the miraculous 2014 run because the qb situation turned out the way it did?