Is it time to replace Doyle?

MI0003589292.jpg

An Iowa fan can fall in one or two camps right now. WTF is wrong with Iowa football, or larger doses of the same will fix Iowa football. Changing HC and staff might do the trick. I can't think of anything Doyle could increase or make more intense that could be effective or allowed.

While we're kinda on the subject of discussing 'proper' preparation of Iowa athletes for game day, why not examine Iowa practices? Make practices less rough, maybe? Have more Iowa athletes available for game day that way, maybe? Maybe help to stop this 'curse' Iowa football has with running backs? More simulations or run-throughs of tackling and running of plays ? At least while the athletic cupboard is relatively bare?

Last edited:
Funny how better coaches would get better players. Lets not blame the coaches though. They have been all tuckered out from raising money. Seems like only yesterday it was 1999.

I'm not questioning his commitment to Iowa football, it's obviously there and most former players feel the same as Matt Bowen. Why shouldn't they? They don't know any different.

The question is, does he still have the knowledge and ability to keep Iowa ahead of the pack in terms of strength and conditioning. Remember, he did put 13 athletes in the hospital with his archaic workout and the team hasn't looked the same since.

Using your "they don't know any different" phrase, you're saying a guy like Matt Bowen "doesn't know any different" than Doyle as a S&C coach? Really? A guy who played for four different NFL teams wouldn't be able to compare what Doyle did with what his NFL S&C coaches did?

'

it's funny how coaches (strength coaches as well) are better with better players.......

Exactly. The coaching staff needs to do a much better job identifying good players and getting commitments. I'm not expecting KF or any coach for that matter to create a pipeline of 4 & 5 star talent to Iowa City. But he should be able to get the mid-teir type players that were the foundation of his program so long ago. Right now, he's either not identifying them well, not doing a good job of selling those prospects on the program, or both.

Using your "they don't know any different" phrase, you're saying a guy like Matt Bowen "doesn't know any different" than Doyle as a S&C coach? Really? A guy who played for four different NFL teams wouldn't be able to compare what Doyle did with what his NFL S&C coaches did?

That was in response to this comment he made “The best way to describe the relationship with my Iowa coaches and teammates is that I would lie down in traffic for them,â€￾ he said. “That’s why the relationships you build in the Iowa football culture last forever.â€￾

They don't know any different than Iowa in terms of college ball.

In the late 1990s and early 2000s Doyle was the next generation of S&C coaches and brought a lot of new ideas and practices to the department. Is it time Iowa seeks a new S&C coach? I've gone back and forth on this multiple times since Rhabdo.

This year the team looked slow and aside from Schreff most of the guys look soft. Maybe new blood would be good for that area of the program.

What are your thoughts?

I just haven't seen a single person state that Doyle's regimen has changed since rhabdo - other than removing that workout - or that his work ethic has changed as a different poster suggested.

Not saying you're wrong or that it's unreasonable to question any coach's performance.

By the way your signature is inaccurate. I've always supported heavy sanctions on PSU for their institutional coverup of rape, and still do.

I just haven't seen a single person state that Doyle's regimen has changed since rhabdo - other than removing that workout - or that his work ethic has changed as a different poster suggested.

Not saying you're wrong or that it's unreasonable to question any coach's performance.

By the way your signature is inaccurate. I've always supported heavy sanctions on PSU for their institutional coverup of rape, and still do.

Yeah, I don't know if anything has changed other than removing that workout. It just seems like the team is missing that explosiveness they use to have. I get that other programs have caught up to Iowa in most areas, but is there something we can do to broaden that gap again? In the beginning of his tenure Iowa was one of the first programs to use controlled supplements for their players. Now every team does.

Also...removed.

I think Doyle has lost his edge. Like ferentz, he let the years and years of praise go to his head and I bet even he would be willing to admit that he did not work as hard last year as he did 15 years ago. Lifting is not rocket science. It's about hard work and motivation. There are a ton of 25-year-old guys out there that know what Doyle knows and are willing to work 20 hours a day to be the strength coach at a Big Ten university.

Doyle's not the issue. The weight room itself wasn't as good as it could be until recently. Further, when Iowa gets elite athletes, they tend to do pretty well within the strength program. Iowa doesn't get enough of them.

I think Doyle has lost his edge. Like ferentz, he let the years and years of praise go to his head and I bet even he would be willing to admit that he did not work as hard last year as he did 15 years ago. Lifting is not rocket science. It's about hard work and motivation. There are a ton of 25-year-old guys out there that know what Doyle knows and are willing to work 20 hours a day to be the strength coach at a Big Ten university.

Obviously your idea of lifting is the 12 oz curls you do after work. To build real muscle and strength you need more then just weights. You need a whole plan and actions for each group like the lineman wont work out the same way as the rbs and their nutrition plan would be completely different to. There are so many variables that you don't see. Also how handcuffed is Doyle since the Rhabdo problem? Our team hasn't looked as strong or powerful since that came down. I think that is what caused us to lose the "Bullies of the Big Ten".

Lifting is science. If you don't know that then you don't know anything about strength programs and there's no reason for you to be in this conversation.

Secondly, and I hate pointing to this, reading what you write is like getting poked in the eye by Woodbury. Punctuation and proper spelling are your friend. I can understand the occasional mistake, but when you write like a 3rd grader and it's hard to follow there's a problem intellectually.

In this day and age of cryptic abbreviations, emoticons, 140 char twitter and text msgs with all types of grammatical shortcuts and you are complaining about someones punctuation and grammar on this site. I leave out quotes, single possessive quotes and misspell sometimes as typos that I dont fix , oh see i just left out an apostrophe but I bet you understand what I wrote, if the spelling is close enough. Hey I am in a hurry sometimes to get my great ideas out to the HN publick. oops did it again.

Someone mentioned we looked slow, well there is only so much a lifting program can do to enhance speed and faster, stronger hip flexor muscles.

I think we look slow because most of our recruits are slow, if the coaches want speed they better recruit it even if the recruit is not the best of students or most skilled at football. Recruit speed and coach them up.

We will still have guys taken in the draft this year and have still had quite a few the last few years. My gut says our S & C program is not the problem in the program. Remember also, he can only work with who our coaches recruit.

Because we as fans can't "see" the workouts, it's hard to say whether Doyle's methods have become complacent, or not. Agree we still send "strength" position players to NFL, so I'd say Doyle isn't an issue or cause. He may be a bi-product or symptom of an overall malaise, but probably not a cause.

I'm sorry, but this post is rife with uninformed speculation. I'm not saying Chris Doyle is the greatest strength coach of all time, but there is no such thing as a strength program that can turn mediocre talents into great football players. I know that people loved to view guys like Bob Sanders as products of a great workout program but if it were that simple, Iowa would have a limitless supply of Bob Sanders' every single year. They haven't had one since. It doesn't matter how good the workout is, how much stronger, faster, bigger, a guy gets if it still isn't good enough based on their ability.

I've noticed that some fans like to pretend that good linemen just need to be big and strong. Being big and strong are the two easiest things one can accomplish with the right frame, diet, and workout routine. Having good footwork, understanding leverage, etc., is much harder and isn't always teachable. Talent plays a big role.

Surely I'm not the only person around here who played football with some weight room warriors who still failed on the football field. Conversely, I'm sure I'm not the only person who witnessed guys who were pathetic in the gym but could utterly ruin people on the football field.

The weight room can make somebody a lot better, but it can't produce a good football player when there's not enough to work with from the get-go.

Yeah, I don't know if anything has changed other than removing that workout. It just seems like the team is missing that explosiveness they use to have. I get that other programs have caught up to Iowa in most areas, but is there something we can do to broaden that gap again? In the beginning of his tenure Iowa was one of the first programs to use controlled supplements for their players. Now every team does.

Also...removed.

You mean that exercise that they don't do any more that builds explosiveness? Coincidence?... Hmmm.

As a consequence of the rhabdo problem, I thought I read that the U of I had completely backed away from the uses of supplements. The U of I feared a potential lawsuit. If that's the case, I can see how the program is falling behind what other schools are doing.

Latest posts