Is it time to replace Doyle?

Sparky

In the late 1990s and early 2000s Doyle was the next generation of S&C coaches and brought a lot of new ideas and practices to the department. Is it time Iowa seeks a new S&C coach? I've gone back and forth on this multiple times since Rhabdo.

This year the team looked slow and aside from Schreff most of the guys look soft. Maybe new blood would be good for that area of the program.

What are your thoughts?

I don't think so, besides no one would be willing to tell him he's being replaced. He still looks like he could take someone's head off without breaking a sweat.

I think Doyle has lost his edge. Like ferentz, he let the years and years of praise go to his head and I bet even he would be willing to admit that he did not work as hard last year as he did 15 years ago. Lifting is not rocket science. It's about hard work and motivation. There are a ton of 25-year-old guys out there that know what Doyle knows and are willing to work 20 hours a day to be the strength coach at a Big Ten university.

We will still have guys taken in the draft this year and have still had quite a few the last few years. My gut says our S & C program is not the problem in the program. Remember also, he can only work with who our coaches recruit.

I think Doyle has lost his edge. Like ferentz, he let the years and years of praise go to his head and I bet even he would be willing to admit that he did not work as hard last year as he did 15 years ago<--- how in the world would you know that?? Rank speculation at its finest . Lifting is not rocket science. It's about hard work and motivation. There are a ton of 25-year-old guys out there that know what Doyle knows and are willing to work 20 hours a day to be the strength coach at a Big Ten university.

The technology being used by some of the top programs brings a lot to the table. I'm anxious and hopeful that we get a better look inside the football facilities to see if they have a new performance lab like the one Nebraska has.

I think Doyle has lost his edge. Like ferentz, he let the years and years of praise go to his head and I bet even he would be willing to admit that he did not work as hard last year as he did 15 years ago.

Thats a fair question to ask as its only human nature to lose intensity over time. Ironic this topic is on here though in light of the WATN story on Matt Bowen:

He credits Iowa football for his hard-working attitude, and says he wouldn’t be successful in life without Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle.

“The best way to describe the relationship with my Iowa coaches and teammates is that I would lie down in traffic for them,” he said. “That’s why the relationships you build in the Iowa football culture last forever.”

Thats a fair question to ask as its only human nature to lose intensity over time. Ironic this topic is on here though in light of the WATN story on Matt Bowen:

He credits Iowa football for his hard-working attitude, and says he wouldn’t be successful in life without Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle.

“The best way to describe the relationship with my Iowa coaches and teammates is that I would lie down in traffic for them,â€￾ he said. “That’s why the relationships you build in the Iowa football culture last forever.â€￾

I'm not questioning his commitment to Iowa football, it's obviously there and most former players feel the same as Matt Bowen. Why shouldn't they? They don't know any different.

The question is, does he still have the knowledge and ability to keep Iowa ahead of the pack in terms of strength and conditioning. Remember, he did put 13 athletes in the hospital with his archaic workout and the team hasn't looked the same since.

You guys kill me, He has lost his edge. You know that how ? Lifting is not rocket science, He has these kids on individual programs. Some have to set a alarm to get up in the middle of the night to eat. He didn't put 13 guys in the Hospital. That's not how it came down. Its is the same program the had used for years. Sorry guys your just really reaching because of your KF hate. Every player went through it at some point in his time at Iowa. I do think its possible that they had to back off on conditioning because of the bad PR.

You guys kill me, He has lost his edge. You know that how ? Lifting is not rocket science, He has these kids on individual programs. Some have to set a alarm to get up in the middle of the night to eat. He didn't put 13 guys in the Hospital. That's not how it came down. Its is the same program the had used for years. Sorry guys your just really reaching because of your KF hate. Every player went through it at some point in his time at Iowa. I do think its possible that they had to back off on conditioning because of the bad PR.

Lifting is science. If you don't know that then you don't know anything about strength programs and there's no reason for you to be in this conversation.

Secondly, and I hate pointing to this, reading what you write is like getting poked in the eye by Woodbury. Punctuation and proper spelling are your friend. I can understand the occasional mistake, but when you write like a 3rd grader and it's hard to follow there's a problem intellectually.

Even the National Strength and Conditioning Association said the workout was inappropriate for college athletes at that time of the year. It was also removed from the program and not used because it's dangerous for the athletes, not because of bad PR.

My two cents ... although I know nothing about the inner workings of our strength program other than having the pleasure of hearing Doyle speak at an I-Club outing ... I don't think Doyle is the problem. I think Iowa's "problems" has more to do with our drop off in recruiting the past few years. I would "assume" Doyle is still one of the most respected strength coaches in college football. Again, I am assuming as such ... Doyle is a pretty intense dude ... And he still looks like he could shotput a Smart car ... I think we should look elsewhere for Iowa's football problems ...

In the late 1990s and early 2000s Doyle was the next generation of S&C coaches and brought a lot of new ideas and practices to the department. Is it time Iowa seeks a new S&C coach? I've gone back and forth on this multiple times since Rhabdo.

This year the team looked slow and aside from Schreff most of the guys look soft. Maybe new blood would be good for that area of the program.

What are your thoughts?

The Rhabdo workout was nothing new, but it didn't shed any positive notes on the program.

But, like KF says, every position is "open". That should mean coaches/staff, too.

I my point was lifting is a science. I have had in depth conversations with kids that did the program when we had the trouble. Other programs come to Doyle for help all the time You are right on when it come to my typing and my spelling. Im terrible. Thanks for being the Grammer police. You got that part right

Don't a lot of former Hawks that are in the NFL come back to IC to work out with him?

Maybe "used to"...I do find it interesting that our best pro prospect on D (Desmond King) has stated that he is working out somewhere else over the summer.

The guy is about as revered as anyone is in the country at what he does... Who are you going to replace him with?... I've met the guy before and seen him do some demonstrations at a coaches clinic before for highschool coaches. Pretty sure he's not the reason for the drop off. He was certainly on the cutting edge 10-15 years ago on things. Now it's fair to say the rest of the country has caught up. I think if he had better talent to work with the results would be better on the field.... But he finds the ceiling of what each kid is capable of and gets them there. And if they don't it's on them or an injury held em back

Personally I like Doyle. I've spent time with him in the gym while in camps while in high school and during visits. 10-15 years ago he was top of his field and it showed with the players. I just don't have the knowledge to know if he still is, which is why I was asking.

Latest posts