Is Iowa still a lock for the dance?

I'm curious to know how they'd fair under the RPI system. From what I understand, we are in a better position under the NET.

RPI and NET have actually been within one spot most of the last 8 weeks for Iowa. They were 43 NET and 44 RPI before today. RPI dropped to 55 today, so we'll see tomorrow if NET drops the same. The only real difference is we have a 4-9 record in Quad 1 games based on NET rankings vs 1-9 in Quad 1 games based on RPI. Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska and NW are ranked way lower in RPI so you don't get the extra "quality" wins on the road.

That is how they did it prior to this year. Decide which 64 were in, rank them in descending order, from best to worst, 1-64, then hand out seeds: top 4 are 1 seeds, next 4 are two seeds, etc... Only reason committee was needed was to seperate same conf. teams into diff brackets, close to/away from home court etc...
Lol, no they didn’t...

There are automatic bids that fall outside the top 64 (68 actually). Just like UNI would have had they hung on yesterday. Other than automatics the rest of the participants have always been chosen by committee, not by ranking. Not sure where you’re coming up with that, but I’d like to see your source.

The 32 conference champs make it to the tournament automatically, and every other team, seed, and location is chosen at the whim of the committee. Always has been.

Last edited:
Lol, no they didn’t...

There are automatic bids that fall outside the top 64 (68 actually). Just like UNI would have had they hung on yesterday. Other than automatics the rest of the participants have always been chosen by committee, not by ranking. Not sure where you’re coming up with that, but I’d like to see your source.

The 32 conference champs make it to the tournament automatically, and every other team, seed, and location is chosen at the whim of the committee. Always has been.

Yes, once the 64 teams are in, they are ranked, from best to worse, from 1-64. Then the seeds are determined, just like I said. Committee had the right to shuffled them within their seed.

Yes, once the 64 teams are in, they are ranked, from best to worse, from 1-64. Then the seeds are determined, just like I said. Committee had the right to shuffled them within their seed.
You said the “only” reason the committee was needed was to split up teams and determine seeding. Which is wrong. The committee decides the 28 non-automatic bids however they want. It isn’t decided by rankings.

Last 10 isn’t (officially) looked at when determining the field. But I have no doubt “What have you done for me lately” has an impact on seed.

Evidence...Oklahoma was a 10 seed last year. They were 2-8 in their last 10 and 4-11 in their last 15. So they were 2-3 the 5 games before going 2-8.

Yeah but they were probably close losses? I will answer before asked. Last game of the season is listed 1st...(H)ome & A(way).

H loss by 11
H win by 21
A loss 23
H win 9
A loss 30
H loss 11
A loss 10
A loss 8
H loss 2
A loss 8

Yeah but they probably made a run in the conference tournament? They were 1 of 4 teams that had to play Wednesday and loss their 1st game by 11.

Wow! I bet they got smoked in that 7-10 game? Nope. Lost 83-78.

So Iowa’s 5-5 finish looks rock solid to me. Lunardi has us at 9 today.

Many have said we needed a couple miracles or we would have lost our last 8 and ended 2-8. Again, see Oklahoma last year. That still might have been good enough...not that I want to test this theory.

We are a lock and won’t play our 1st game until Thursday or Friday.

I imagine next Sunday when the brackets are revealed, some team is going to go "YES"...when they see that they drew Iowa.

Ya we're in. So now we get to worry about what team is gonna whip our ass, and just how embarrassing is the ass whoppin gonna be.

Iowa getting in is small consolation when they lose the first round game to a 6 or 7 seed by 20 on the west coast.

Latest posts