Is Iowa scrambling in the 2020 class?

Have we ever grabbed a highly ranked guard? I mean you go back to Gessel, he was top 100. After that here is what we land at Guard:

Clemmons
Ingram
Jok
Dickerson
Ellinsgon
C. Williams
Fleming
Moss
Hutton
Dailey
Bohannon
McCaffery
Fredrick
Wieskamp
Toussaint

I mean that is flat out embarrassing. In nearly a decade of recruiting Fran has brought in 2 top 100 guards in Gessel and Wieskamp. Sure Jok was good, Bohannon has been good, Moss was ok. The rest is brutally bad recruiting (or still a wait and see on a few yet).
I think you could argue that Wieskamp is more of a wing than a guard as well.

That’s painful to look at.

I think you could argue that Wieskamp is more of a wing than a guard as well.

That’s painful to look at.

I was trying to paint as good of a picture as I could for Fran, and I really view the 2/3 or wings as guardss That is just brutally bad recruiting, no other way to put the lipstick on that pig.

I was trying to paint as good of a picture as I could for Fran, and I really view the 2/3 or wings as guardss That is just brutally bad recruiting, no other way to put the lipstick on that pig.

So circling back to the original post I think the consensus is that yes, Fran is indeed scrambling to fill out this class. He's missed on all his top tier guards and is now down to offering more guys who have potential, but are not sure things. And this is unfortunately a trend. Scrambling to fill out the guard spots every year.

That said, Fran has done an alright job at scrambling. Like those kids that cram the night before a test and end up with a solid B. There is the occasional A- and C+ sprinkled in there, but they're more rare. With Foster and another domino, this turns into a A-. Without him, we're trending toward that C+.

So circling back to the original post I think the consensus is that yes, Fran is indeed scrambling to fill out this class. He's missed on all his top tier guards and is now down to offering more guys who have potential, but are not sure things. And this is unfortunately a trend. Scrambling to fill out the guard spots every year.

That said, Fran has done an alright job at scrambling. Like those kids that cram the night before a test and end up with a solid B. There is the occasional A- and C+ sprinkled in there, but they're more rare. With Foster and another domino, this turns into a A-. Without him, we're trending toward that C+.

The problem is if Fran could actually hit on his 1st or 2nd choices even this program might actually be a good one.

The problem is if Fran could actually hit on his 1st or 2nd choices even this program might actually be a good one.

And if the program were a good one, he might actually hit on his 1st or 2nd choices. Chicken, egg. Egg, chicken.

(I think he actually has a pretty solid program, just not quite elite enough to convince the guys that would take it to the next level.)

We aren’t done on Foster. We can make the scholarship situation work out.

I hope we still get him obviously and you are right, with Fran's kids on ship, that keeps the door always open IMO - if he was going to do it a few years back when we were full, he'll continue to leave that door open. I just kind of think these signings might have spilled the beans on what to expect from Foster.

I hope we still get him obviously and you are right, with Fran's kids on ship, that keeps the door always open IMO - if he was going to do it a few years back when we were full, he'll continue to leave that door open. I just kind of think these signings might have spilled the beans on what to expect from Foster.
I tend to think they are unrelated. Actually I think this is more an indicator that Jbo plays this year. Again the scholarships thing doesn’t even mean one of Fran’s kids need to go off scholarship.

Jbo plays, that means we have three seniors, plus one current open scholarship, plus Till scholarship, that’s 5 right there and would give us room for Foster. That doesn’t even include potential that Joe goes pro or that Pemsl is told to grad transfer elsewhere.

I tend to think they are unrelated. Actually I think this is more an indicator that Jbo plays this year. Again the scholarships thing doesn’t even mean one of Fran’s kids need to go off scholarship.

Jbo plays, that means we have three seniors, plus one current open scholarship, plus Till scholarship, that’s 5 right there and would give us room for Foster. That doesn’t even include potential that Joe goes pro or that Pemsl is told to grad transfer elsewhere.

now you have me excited about Jordan playing this year.

That was before their visit then? If that's right, then where did Fran see all the awesome development I was hoping he saw?

We aren’t done on Foster. We can make the scholarship situation work out.
We can. But can our recruiting competition convince Foster and his family that we can't?

Prohm and his staff have got to be having a field day with this.

Here's another question, and I don't know if it's ever happened before.

Can Fran split one scholly between both his kids?

That happens routinely with less revenue generating sports, like baseball. But has it ever happened with men's basketball? Is it even allowable under the rules?

I remember when Alford came in and they moved Kyle Galloway to an academic scholarship, to free up one extra athletic scholly, and it was permissible under the rules.

We can. But can our recruiting competition convince Foster and his family that we can't?

Prohm and his staff have got to be having a field day with this.

Here's another question, and I don't know if it's ever happened before.

Can Fran split one scholly between both his kids?

That happens routinely with less revenue generating sports, like baseball. But has it ever happened with men's basketball? Is it even allowable under the rules?

I remember when Alford came in and they moved Kyle Galloway to an academic scholarship, to free up one extra athletic scholly, and it was permissible under the rules.

If ISU lands Foster, the fans are going to melt down, I am going to melt down. Losing Carton stung, but he didn't grow up a Hawk fan. If we lose Foster to a program who doesn't even ****ing recruit Iowa, when Iowa has over 1/2 their roster being Iowan's, I'm gonna lose me shit. I'm already trying to prepare for the fact Foster is gonna go to ISU because I don't want to act a total fool when that news comes out. Somehow I think I'm going to lose that battle and still rant and rave like an idiot on this site if we lose him.

If ISU lands Foster, the fans are going to melt down, I am going to melt down. Losing Carton stung, but he didn't grow up a Hawk fan. If we lose Foster to a program who doesn't even ****ing recruit Iowa, when Iowa has over 1/2 their roster being Iowan's, I'm gonna lose me shit. I'm already trying to prepare for the fact Foster is gonna go to ISU because I don't want to act a total fool when that news comes out. Somehow I think I'm going to lose that battle and still rant and rave like an idiot on this site if we lose him.
Holy shit, didn't even see it that way.

Losing Foster to a blue blood would be one thing.

Losing him to a program that is probably recruiting him just to prevent us from having him....?

We all knew that guy in high school who would steal a prom date just to prevent the kid who really liked the girl from getting the date.

It's been said that Bear Bryant would steal Auburn recruits more because he knew it would piss off Auburn than than help Alabama.

If the perception grows that Prohm is in Fran's head, and the Murray boys end up being busts?

You can bet your bottom dollar that Iowa State would spin this as Foster really wanted to come to Iowa but they tried to hold his feet to the fire and rush him. No matter how much to the contrary that may have been.

And to think that I was accusing ISU about six weeks ago of trying to pressure Foster, which I admit I was.

Right @BryceC?:)

It definitely supports the argument that recruiting competition was throwing the Connor factor into the mix, fair or unfair.

For C Williams, Ellingson and Miss to all bail on Iowa before their eligibility expired doesn't help the perception either.

The ironic thing is that Fran's youngest son Jack may be the legit player in the family, and Fran will probably be gone before Jack is ready to play college ball. Jack rips it in AAU leagues and frequently plays up one or even two grade levels.

I've seen him play. Good court vision. Good potential. Still only a seventh grader so a lot can happen.