Is Illinois in over Iowa with a win today?

Will need more than just one team passing us and Illinois isn't even on the bubble radar

10ish teams will need to pass us on the bubble...But there are several teams on the bubble still playing for quality wins. If a few terrible teams make the run and earn a bid Iowa could slide to a 12 seed. With a 10 seed now they should be safe on Sunday

Will need more than just one team passing us and Illinois isn't even on the bubble radar

I hope so, HP, I am starting to get worried now, but they have too many losses and quality wins over Iowa, Michigan State and Nebraska.....

Believe it or not, Iowa is considered a quality win, I believe

I believe you are correct. Thank you......

Michigan by one with 4 seconds left, Illinois ball.....

Wolverines win......

:rolleyes:

Stop the madness. As bad as Iowa has played recently they are in. The bubble is very, very weak and Iowa isn't even on it. Sure they might not deserve to be in based on the last fee weeks but that's why the whole season matters which means they're in. I'll delete my account on here if they don't make it in. Just sit back and watch basketball or don't but Iowa will be playing in the NCAA Tournament next week. Just be happy they'll be in and maybe somehow they'll turn it around. Sorry for the rant.

I think if Illinois wins that game they're in.. They were the much hotter team down the stretch.. and wow couldn't of asked for a better look with 2 seconds left either wow

Final Score: Illinois 63 Michigan 64

If they were reaching the bubble it just bursted. ;)

images

The Gophers lost 11 of their last 16 games last year and still made the NCAA tournament based largely on of their strong schedule early in the season. They also dropped their last 3 games in a row, one to a really bad Nebraska team, one to a really bad Purdue team, and one to a so-so Illinois team in the BTT.

If you take the end of the season into account more so than the beginning of the season...then whats the point of the beginning of the season?

I think their RPI was also in the 20's, or maybe barely into the 30's at worst, I don't recall. Iowa's ESPN RPI is in the 50's today, which is a pretty big difference. I'm not sure what the official NCAA RPI is. It was last updated on 3/10 last I checked.

Absolutely the entire season should be considered, but I'm not totally sold on the fact that "Last 10" shouldn't be a factor. A team may not be the same in March as it is in December. This would hurt last year's Minnesota team, and this year's Iowa team. On the flip side, I think that would've helped last year's Iowa team a little more, too. They were playing more like an NCAA team in March of last year. Much more so than it is this year. Yet, last year's team went to the NIT, and this year's team will probably be in the NCAA's.

But I still agree with the "body of work" being the #1 factor. I just don't feel it's smart to totally disregard the past 10-12 games or so.

Stop the madness. As bad as Iowa has played recently they are in. The bubble is very, very weak and Iowa isn't even on it. Sure they might not deserve to be in based on the last fee weeks but that's why the whole season matters which means they're in. I'll delete my account on here if they don't make it in. Just sit back and watch basketball or don't but Iowa will be playing in the NCAA Tournament next week. Just be happy they'll be in and maybe somehow they'll turn it around. Sorry for the rant.

Not a rant at all in my mind.....

:rolleyes:

Iowa may be in TODAY...but selection isn't today. It is Sunday. And a lot of teams are still playing. Iowa is done. If the Big 10 takes 7 teams then yes, the Hawks will make it. If they only take 6, they won't be, because Minnesota passed them with their win last night (identical record, better RPI, which will improve after they play Wisconsin). It is not looking good for Iowa.

Iowa may be in TODAY...but selection isn't today. It is Sunday. And a lot of teams are still playing. Iowa is done. If the Big 10 takes 7 teams then yes, the Hawks will make it. If they only take 6, they won't be, because Minnesota passed them with their win last night (identical record, better RPI, which will improve after they play Wisconsin). It is not looking good for Iowa.

Can put to bed the silly notion of IL contending for a spot with their loss today.
Also, MN will need to win today to be better off than Iowa (or to get a spot at all for that matter). Lets not get all warm and fuzzy on the goofers now....

Can put to bed the silly notion of IL contending for a spot with their loss today.
Also, MN will need to win today to be better off than Iowa (or to get a spot at all for that matter). Lets not get all warm and fuzzy on the goofers now....

Really, really need to cheer strong for Wisky tonight!

Wisconsin is playing for a #1 seed in The Dance and coming off a loss at Nebraska. I think they beat Minnesota and the Gophers go to the NIT.

Minnesota probably gets in with a win today. Wisconsin is a bad draw for a team needing a win IMO. If Minnesota does get in it won't be at Iowa's expense. Many teams drop out before we are going anywhere...based on all credible projections.

Iowa's on the bubble in the sense that it's not a 100% guarantee they are in but I'm pretty sure they're in.

If you look at Lunardi and Palm's brackets, the "last 4 in" and "first 4 out" are pretty telling of the bubble teams:

Tennessee - Plays SC tonight. SC is a weak team and a win will not improve their resume much
Providence - Plays Seaton Hall tonight. Seaton Hall is not a good team, but beat Villanova yesterday.
Minnesota - Plays Wisconsin today. A win will greatly boost Minnesota
Xavier - Plays Creighton tonight. A win will greatly boost Xavier, and also slightly boost Iowa since they beat Xavier this year
Nebraska - Playing Ohio State right now. A win will greatly boost Nebraska.
St Josephs - Playing Dayton right now
Dayton - Playing St Josephs right now
Southern Miss - Plays Louisiana Tech tonight

Missouri - Already lost
St Johns - Already lost
SMU - Already lost
Arkansas - Already lost
BYU - Already lost
Cal - Already lost
Florida State - Already lost
Green Bay - Already lost

Keep in mind that according to both Lunardi and Palm, Iowa is ahead of all of these teams as far as the bubble. The bubble is not very strong this year and it should be mostly clarified after tonight. Based on all of this, Iowa is in the tournament.

Edit - Mizzou is down 22 to florida late so I counted them as a loss

Last edited:
Ohio State is a tough, tough matchup for Nebraska

Yeah I took OSU -3 in the first half. I just get scared of Nebraska late in games as they seem to take them over. Basically the exact opposite of how I feel about Iowa :)

of course I opened my mouth and Nebby hits back to back 3s :p

Latest posts