Is Charlie somewhat regretting his decision?

He made the right decision to leave as one season at Purdue got him more stats than 3 at Iowa and he’ll probably get drafted (late). With that said, F him and this victory felt really good.

With the right team Charlie can be some NFL QB's fav. possession receiver. Look at Brady's receiving corp. in New England. Always room for a guy who runs great routes and will catch the first down or go over the middle. If Charlie stayed at Iowa he's trying out for special teams. Wouldn't get a look at wide receiver, we all know it.

Punt returner... Wes Welker. Similarities. Charlie is a bit faster in the 40. Nobody thought he'd make it. Wasn't drafted. Jones is getting drafted...late

Career502593,06911.821795597.12
RecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTD
SeasonTeamClassPosGPReceivingRushing
2000Texas TechFRRB122633412.8067212.01
2001Texas TechSOWR115058211.6515976.50
2002Texas TechJRWR14861,05412.37312447.90
2003Texas TechSRWR13971,09911.39271465.41
Imagine believing the NFL of 20 years ago is the same as today. Psssst it isn't. He's not playing anywhere

From a stat perspective probably not, but I got to think losing to Iowa has to eat at him some.

No doubt he would have preferred to win, just like every game a competitor plays. But he absolutely made the right choice to transfer. Its not even close to regret.

Charlie isn’t playing in the NFL but he would’ve made us a team with a good shot at the West this year.

I presume Illinois will lose to Michigan. If they lose that game and Iowa wins out, Iowa wins a share of the West. Even without him we have a "good shot" at the West. Ultimately the West is terrible, and what is the prize for winning it? Oh yeah, the winner gets to go to Indianapolis and get tuned by Ohio State. No freaking thanks.

God no he's not. He got paid and he's getting all these targets touches and attention playing with his childhood buddy. Sure losing to Iowa stinks for him but he can afford some of the softest tissues $ can buy to cry into over that.

Why, you think NFL players are bigger, faster, and better than 20 years ago? Pssst, there are not.
I'd be curious to know some stats on it. I know that when it comes to LBs nowadays they are smaller then they were in the 90s/2000s. They used to be all over 245-250 to play the run. Nowadays there's a lot of them in the 220s-230s built for speed.

WRs Dbs may be a smidge faster but they aren't noticeably bigger. Olines/Dlines seem about the same. DEs are smaller now then back then if anything.

I'd be curious to know some stats on it. I know that when it comes to LBs nowadays they are smaller then they were in the 90s/2000s. They used to be all over 245-250 to play the run. Nowadays there's a lot of them in the 220s-230s built for speed.

WRs Dbs may be a smidge faster but they aren't noticeably bigger. Olines/Dlines seem about the same. DEs are smaller now then back then if anything.

I remember we were saying this back in the 80's, how much bigger/faster/better the football players were back then over teams from the 50s/60s. Perhaps the technology gets better along with the training but there hasn't been a huge jump in this over the past 20 years. It's more of a generational thing, in our minds we keep thinking the players are getting better when honestly the young are simply replacing the old.

From a stat perspective probably not, but I got to think losing to Iowa has to eat at him some.

Hell no. His eyes are trying to get to the league. That's his goal. He didn't grow up in Iowa or was a fan of Iowa. I don't think just because he came here we should assume he was all bought in. He merely used Iowa as a rung in his ladder to achieve his goals and get to the NFL.

Nothing to do with who wins or loses the Iowa vs Purdue game. Yea, I'm sure he would have liked to win, but I bet he woke up Sunday not really giving a whole hell of a lot of shit about it.

Last edited:
I have zero ill will towards Charlie. He got a big pay day and did what's best for him. Everyone here knows we'd tell our own kid to do the same thing. Anyone saying otherwise is a liar, flat out.

I didn't look for anything on linebackers. I did see that linemen weight has gone from ~270 average in the 80s to 300+ in the 2000s.

Here's wide receivers:

https://www.footballperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/wr-height-1024x694.png

Doesn't mean he couldn't play somewhere. Wes Welker is 5'9". Etc. Etc. I have no idea to forecast NFL translation. I thought Nick Bell was going to be the greatest NFL running back in history.

I just was curious to see about size. I'm 6'. And at times have been a fairly 'big fella'. Was on the sidelines before an NFL game one time. They're all ogres. Even the punters are like 14 feet tall. Baseball is kind of the same. You don't realize they're all way taller than average, because they're all tall. David Eckstein looked like a 'shrimp' at 5'7" cause the other guys are all like 6'4".

I didn't look for anything on linebackers. I did see that linemen weight has gone from ~270 average in the 80s to 300+ in the 2000s.

Here's wide receivers:

https://www.footballperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/wr-height-1024x694.png

Doesn't mean he couldn't play somewhere. Wes Welker is 5'9". Etc. Etc. I have no idea to forecast NFL translation. I thought Nick Bell was going to be the greatest NFL running back in history.

I just was curious to see about size. I'm 6'. And at times have been a fairly 'big fella'. Was on the sidelines before an NFL game one time. They're all ogres. Even the punters are like 14 feet tall. Baseball is kind of the same. You don't realize they're all way taller than average, because they're all tall. David Eckstein looked like a 'shrimp' at 5'7" cause the other guys are all like 6'4".

When you are up close with the Iowa team, they all just look huge, like when they are going from the football complex into Kinnick Stadum. I can only imagine what it is like being up close to NFL guys.

I doubt he regrets it as all. It worked out well for him on the field and financially.

Here is another thought. Let's say Iowa boosters matched the offer and Charlie stayed at Iowa. It could have changed our team's fortunes a lot. First, we all know what a great returner he is. And on offense, the first half of this season the line was stinky but Petras was throwing to freshmen and walkons for the most part. Charlie would have started at WR, and I think having an experienced playmaker out there that Petras trusted could have led to different outcomes against at least ISU and Illinois. Maybe even Michigan. I actually think Charlie would be our leading receiver mainly because Petras tends to lock on to recievers he likes.

Maybe Iowa goes 10-2 again and gets a high profile conference championship game and new years bowl game. Sure, Charlie's stats would not be anything close to what he has at Purdue, but he would have still showcased his skills at a higher profile team. No one gives a shit about Purdue football. Hell, even their train didn't want to come onto the field this weekend. :)

The money made his choice easy, but from a football standpoint I am not sure it is that clear.

The interesting thing will be if Charlie ends up floundering anyway and really does not amount to much in the pros...and Iowa's and Purdue's seasons go in opposite directions to end the year.

Ya, still can't blame Charlie, but at the same time Karma right.

Latest posts