Is Barta doing a good job as AD?

For years folks have been pointing out how few championships Iowa teams have won, and blamed Barta. The last few weeks I've had the same question as the lead on this thread...what do those folks say now? Personally, I don't think championships are the defining metric for an AD. Barta is an incompetent administrator, which is the main role of the AD -- ANY AD could raise massive sums of money at the UI.

I have pointed out that the hawks havent won many or hardly any championships over the last 10-15 years. Yes that recent success is very good, graduation rates are always pretty high which is a main goal, but I dont think Barta is doing a great job , well he pulls in the dough to but I bet there are a lot of ADs who could do that with this TV contract and these fans.

Last edited:
Yes, he's a very good AD. He's made a number of good hires. Everyone I know that works at the University of Iowa thinks very highly of him too. They say he's a good guy.

I don't doubt that. But is Barta nice because he wants to be or because he has to be?

I guessing upon hearing about things going south with Dolphin, Kirk and Brian went up to Barta's office and an exchange something like this occurred:

Kirk: (pops a juicy fruit in) Son, I don't care what you do with basketball but Dolph is the voice of the Hawkeyes football team until I say otherwise.
Brian: Yeah (nodding his head)
Gary: Ahh...
Kirk: Just know your roll and keep your damn mouth shut.
Gary: Kirk, you can't just....
Kirk: (taking out his phone) One more word Son and I'm calling Neil. Go ahead, one more word.
Gary: Your bidding, my master.

Gary: Kirk, we'll just call it subconscious racism and suspend him for a game or so and call it good. He'll be fine by football season. Okay?
Kirk: Sure. Brian, quit picking your nose.
Brian: Okay. Yeah, Gary, what dad says.

Still probably incompetent from an administration/PR standpoint, but results continue to trend up...

Men's T&F first outright indoor conference championship since 1929, highest point total ever.

Women's Gymnastics first conference crown, undefeated 8-0 record in duals.

Name one person who is in a position of considerable authority who has not been heavily criticized, often unfairly. Then, name one who has position requirements that are within your wheelhouse. My only point is that GB likely has a list of responsibilities longer than your arm. And, the priorities on that list are clearly defined. For example, I would bet a bunch of $$ that keeping the budget in the black is the dominant goal.

Name one person who is in a position of considerable authority who has not been heavily criticized, often unfairly. Then, name one who has position requirements that are within your wheelhouse. My only point is that GB likely has a list of responsibilities longer than your arm. And, the priorities on that list are clearly defined. For example, I would bet a bunch of $$ that keeping the budget in the black is the dominant goal.
Regardless of the budget and teams' results, the Greasebomb/Meyer ordeal was fireable. There is zero defense that he could make. Numerous coaches testified on numerous occasions about Meyer's vindictiveness, the falseness of her accusations, and how Greasebomb was given preferential treatment. Iowa's witnesses credibly destroyed her character, Greasebomb's character, and reported the issues to Barta.

When the rubber met the road and Barta had to testify all he could say was that he recalled the conversations but he didn't take notes or document them. That's HR 101 and he's supposed to be "managing" a P5 athletic department worth 9 figures with several hundred student-athletes and employees. The guy is totally inept at handling personnel issues and has no ability to keep his house in order. Total buffoon. He's an embarrassment to buffoons.

How many of you out there who manage or work with subordinate employees would still have your jobs if your people came to you reporting serious personnel issues and you didn't keep so much as a Post-It Note? And of those who might still have your jobs, how many of you would still have your jobs after your total lack of competency publicly embarrassed your employer, and cost them a $6.5M judgement that came directly out of the operating budget?

When the rubber met the road and Barta had to testify all he could say was that he recalled the conversations but he didn't take notes or document them. That's HR 101 and he's supposed to be "managing" a P5 athletic department worth 9 figures with several hundred student-athletes and employees. The guy is totally inept at handling personnel issues and has no ability to keep his house in order. Total buffoon. He's an embarrassment to buffons.

How many of you out there who manage or work with subordinate employees would still have your jobs if your people came to you reporting serious personnel issues and you didn't keep so much as a Post-It Note? And of those who might still have your jobs, how many of you would still have your jobs after your total lack of competency publicly embarrassed your employer, and cost them a $6.5M judgement that came directly out of the operating budget?

ALWAYS A WITNESS, ALWAYS CONTEMPORANEOUS OR IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE MEETING NOTES. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.

If you're a male and you have ANY sort of "corrective behavior" or "investigatory" meeting with a female subordinate, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a witness who you absolutely know is not insane and record the results to the HR file IMMEDIATELY.

I seriously cannot stress this enough. If you're a guy with a high 6 figure or 7 figure job and you weren't smart enough to know this at least 10 years ago, you are not smart enough to have such a high position of trust where judgment is critical.

I am not defending GB’s handling of this particular incident, since I was not privy to the entire negotiations process. Nor were you, Fry, by the way. I did find it interesting that a team of personnel attorneys who get paid $300 an hour or more and were the legal reps on this lawsuit, made the defense decisions.
Did they script GB’s responses? If not, why? Maybe, just maybe, Barta followed their instructions. Instead, it sounds like the lawyers placed their bets on the people who actually made the reports. Not a bad idea. I grew up in an attorney’s family and in my profession spent countless
hours with lawyers on complex personnel cases. So you probably don’t want to lecture me. Same with you, O’Keefe.
I think it would be wise to remember, gentlemen, that she was guilty as hell and deserved to be summarily fired with a minimal severance. Sometimes issues that are on thin ice from a legal standpoint prevail. BTW, the U. Of Iowa president has a big business, private sector background. He had the authority to dismiss GB and chose not to. Tell me why. Or, convince me that the President and his bosses, the Board of Regents, were in error.

I am not defending GB’s handling of this particular incident, since I was not privy to the entire negotiations process. Nor were you, Fry, by the way. I did find it interesting that a team of personnel attorneys who get paid $300 an hour or more and were the legal reps on this lawsuit, made the defense decisions.
Did they script GB’s responses? If not, why? Maybe, just maybe, Barta followed their instructions. Instead, it sounds like the lawyers placed their bets on the people who actually made the reports. Not a bad idea. I grew up in an attorney’s family and in my profession spent countless
hours with lawyers on complex personnel cases. So you probably don’t want to lecture me. Same with you, O’Keefe.
I think it would be wise to remember, gentlemen, that she was guilty as hell and deserved to be summarily fired with a minimal severance. Sometimes issues that are on thin ice from a legal standpoint prevail. BTW, the U. Of Iowa president has a big business, private sector background. He had the authority to dismiss GB and chose not to. Tell me why. Or, convince me that the President and his bosses, the Board of Regents, were in error.
I’m not lecturing you on shit. You can take or leave anything I say and I’ll sleep just fine.

Im not going to waste your time or mine telling you what degrees I have or what my work experience is because that’s a half notch above taking a shit in someone’s living room, but I’m confident enough for me.

What I do know is that Farta admitted in court that he had numerous meetings and conversations with Greasebomb, Meyer, and a whole bunch of other coaches who had serious personnel issues with Meyer, and he also admitted in court that none of those conversations were in the presence of a witness and he didn’t document a single one of them. He quite literally said he remembered having the conversations but couldn’t recall details and didn’t take any notes whatsoever.

His (in)actions prevented the U from making any semblance of a legal defense against Meyer and Greasebomb, and it’s what caused them to pay millions in settlements. If you can’t see how that’s a fireable situation, we’ll...I don’t know what I can say to you.

And @okeefe4prez IS a lawyer. That trumps you growing up with lawyers. What you did is basically say, “I’m not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...”

I won’t say Barta is without his faults, but losing a couple of lawsuits because he’s addressing Cancers within the athletic department is not one of them. By all accounts, he’s an excellent fundraiser and his hires have been sound. We could do a lot worse.

I’m not lecturing you on shit. You can take or leave anything I say and I’ll sleep just fine.

Im not going to waste your time or mine telling you what degrees I have or what my work experience is because that’s a half notch above taking a shit in someone’s living room, but I’m confident enough for me.

What I do know is that Farta admitted in court that he had numerous meetings and conversations with Greasebomb, Meyer, and a whole bunch of other coaches who had serious personnel issues with Meyer, and he also admitted in court that none of those conversations were in the presence of a witness and he didn’t document a single one of them. He quite literally said he remembered having the conversations but couldn’t recall details and didn’t take any notes whatsoever.

His (in)actions prevented the U from making any semblance of a legal defense against Meyer and Greasebomb, and it’s what caused them to pay millions in settlements. If you can’t see how that’s a fireable situation, we’ll...I don’t know what I can say to you.

And @okeefe4prez IS a lawyer. That trumps you growing up with lawyers. What you did is basically say, “I’m not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn last night...”
Learn how to spell, and not use childish nicknames, and maybe you could be taken seriously.

And @okeefe4prez IS a lawyer. That trumps you growing up with lawyers. What you did is basically say, “I’m not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holliday Inn last night...”
I guess you missed a good share of what I said in my post. Frankly, Fry, I am not surprised. You have a consistent reaction to those who disagree with you, including distraction and personal insults. Growing up in an attorney’s family did help me to base my views on evidence and logic. And, you missed the part about my professional experience working with some great legal minds. I will sleep fine, also, knowing that your attempts to lecture me failed miserably. But, nice try. Hey, plow ahead with your confidence in yourself. You certainly often react to other’s views in a very defensive manner, which hardly supports you claim. Explaining my background is like taking a shit in your living room? Wow. Are you still in junior high?
“Farta.” Really? As to the decision you have made that GB should be fired, Inthink I will go with a University President and the Board. I guess you have the “confidence” that you know more than they do. BTW, I prefer Hilton, Marriott, and Drury properties.

Learn how to spell, and not use childish nicknames, and maybe you could be taken seriously.
If I wanted to be taken seriously I wouldn’t be posting on an internet board occupied by a bunch of 40-80 year old guys who argue about 18 year old kids playing games with bouncy balls.

Your infatuation with me is both weird and hilarious. I like it.

I guess you missed a good share of what I said in my post. Frankly, Fry, I am not surprised. You have a consistent reaction to those who disagree with you, including distraction and personal insults. Growing up in an attorney’s family did help me to base my views on evidence and logic. And, you missed the part about my professional experience working with some great legal minds. I will sleep fine, also, knowing that your attempts to lecture me failed miserably. But, nice try. Hey, plow ahead with your confidence in yourself. You certainly often react to other’s views in a very defensive manner, which hardly supports you claim. Explaining my background is like taking a shit in your living room? Wow. Are you still in junior high?
“Farta.” Really? As to the decision you have made that GB should be fired, Inthink I will go with a University President and the Board. I guess you have the “confidence” that you know more than they do. BTW, I prefer Hilton, Marriott, and Drury properties.
1) You told me not to lecture you. I wasn’t.

2) No one cares what your professional experience is. Or mine. Or anyone else’s. At all. People who try to throw their “qualifications” out there to jack themselves up are insecure blowhards. The fact that you use “growing up with lawyers” as one of those qualifications is even more funny. I’m in middle school, btw. In Iowa we call it middle school.

3) You and I both know you can’t afford “Hilton, Marriott, and Drury properties.”

But even if you could, your need to tell people you don’t even know about it reveals some pretty deep-rooted insecurities, wouldn’t you say?