Is Baer any good? Does a Baer crap in the woods?

He kinda reminds me of a young jared uthoff. Maybe more of a motor than jared with less height currently. If that's his ceiling then it's certainly not a bad one for a walkon.

He needs to add some bulk but I love how quick his 3 point shot can be.

He reminds me of a shorter Aaron White as a freshman that can actually shoot the ball. I say that because they both look awkward when they run but are faster than they look because of their physiques.

It was pretty obvious from the first game on that Baer is a quick thinker and knows where he needs to be and what to do. Besides his skill, what separates him from other walkons is that he believes he should be out there with the scholarship guys. He's not afraid to make a play. I don't think his playing style is comparable with White, but his demeanor is very similar.

I don't see any reason he couldn't be a starter at some point in the future.

How good he will become is up to him and his genetics. He already appears to understand where he needs to be on the court and when to shoot the ball or give it up. We haven't seen him defend any legit Big Ten athletes for an extended time yet so his lateral quickness on defense is still a bit of a question mark at the moment. What he has going for him though is his length. You can't teach that kind of height and wingspan. If he can continue to improve his strength and conditioning I wouldn't be shocked if he made an all big ten team or at the very least be an honorable mention at some point before he graduates.

It'll be interesting to see how he does if/when opposing teams decide to put their stud stopper on him.

He reminds me of a shorter Aaron White as a freshman that can actually shoot the ball. I say that because they both look awkward when they run but are faster than they look because of their physiques.

During the Drake game, he reminded me of Chris Street. He could score, rebound, pass, and defend, but the #1 thing (or things) he did was everything that doesn't appear in the box score. He has a very high basketball IQ and his court awareness is outstanding for a freshman. Haven't seen him play a lot, so this may be way off, but this was my impression from the Drake game.

It'll be interesting to see how he does if/when opposing teams decide to put their stud stopper on him.

I don't know why any team would put their stud stopper on him with Uthoff and Jok on the floor. In fact, I doubt he'll ever be Iowa's # 1 option, so he should get lots of open looks through out his career.

It will be even more interesting to see how much the rest of the team kicks *** with the opposing team's best stopper on Baer.

It was pretty obvious from the first game on that Baer is a quick thinker and knows where he needs to be and what to do. Besides his skill, what separates him from other walkons is that he believes he should be out there with the scholarship guys. He's not afraid to make a play. I don't think his playing style is comparable with White, but his demeanor is very similar.

I don't see any reason he couldn't be a starter at some point in the future.

I think it would be an upset if he isn't starting next year.

Fran allowing him to walk on might be one of the best recruiting decisions he's made so far.

I think it would be an upset if he isn't starting next year.

Fran allowing him to walk on might be one of the best recruiting decisions he's made so far.

Agreed. I think the comparisons to White are pretty fair although not they are not identical players. White is more athletic, but Baer has a better shooting touch for sure. I think what they have in common is their length, basketball IQ, and an attitude that no one aside from themselves is going to dictate what kind of player they are or what they become.

I went to the Big 4 this past weekend with several Cyclone fans and they were making fun of Baer when he came onto the court. They asked me who the heck he was and why he was on the court and proceeded to make some stupid comments about Iowa's unathletic white players. Then a few minutes later he had made a couple of blocks, grabbed a couple of rebounds, and put a few points on the board. I didn't have to say anything.

Where does he play moving forward? Is he an inside guy, outside, both? Does he have the height and size for inside? Does he have the skills to play on the perimeter? He's confusing for me right now.

Where does he play moving forward? Is he an inside guy, outside, both? Does he have the height and size for inside? Does he have the skills to play on the perimeter? He's confusing for me right now.

Depends how you look at it. His length and versatility is an advantage. He can play a couple different spots. That helps with depth.

Could really use another experienced player for next year. Hope he continues to play well

Agreed.

Who is going to be Iowa's big man next year? Uhl? That scares me a little bit. Cook, Pemsl, and Kreiner get added to the mix. Still Kreiner is the tallest of the bunch at 6'9.

Cook, Pemsl, Kreiner, Wagner, Baer, and Uhl all have pretty good size. I guess I'm just used to seeing Iowa with a big center (Woodbury, Olaseni, and Cole before them). They might have to get out and run a bit more once they downsize.

Latest posts