Is 5 the preferred seed for conference tourney?

NorthKCHawk

I am not predicting that Iowa runs the table or implodes. I am guessing 4-3. So, that puts us at least in the conversation for a double bye.

However, given that Iowa has never done squat in the conference tourney under Fran, there is a case to be made that a 5 seed is the best position. Whether we are the 4 or the 5, it seems most likely we end up playing Maryland or Wisky. Toss-ups at best.

If we are the 4 seed, we come into the game cold against a good team that played the night before and won. They have momentum. If we lose, we are 1 and done.

If we are the 5 seed, we play the lowest seed remaining in the second round and one would think we would win that game. We then face the 4 seed who has not played and may be a bit cold. There can be an advantage to playing the night before and getting used to the court. But, even if we lose, we at least went 1-1.

In short, even though I like this team and think it is different than past Fran teams, at this point its hard to have faith in a deep tournament run. So, I will hedge my bet and hope to at least grab 1 tourney win against a bad team and then hope for the best from there.

I know, not exactly a championship mentality....

I can see your point about getting in rhythm before playing the 4 seed. I'm not sure I'd want to risk losing to a 12/13 seed and adding a blemish to the resume though. Winning that game does nothing for the resume as Iowa isn't a bubble team that needs to pad wins. Getting the 4 seed means they finished the regular season well and most likely won at the Kohl Center which would be better on the resume. Because of that I think the 4 seed would be more ideal.

I am not predicting that Iowa runs the table or implodes. I am guessing 4-3. So, that puts us at least in the conversation for a double bye.

However, given that Iowa has never done squat in the conference tourney under Fran, there is a case to be made that a 5 seed is the best position. Whether we are the 4 or the 5, it seems most likely we end up playing Maryland or Wisky. Toss-ups at best.

If we are the 4 seed, we come into the game cold against a good team that played the night before and won. They have momentum. If we lose, we are 1 and done.

If we are the 5 seed, we play the lowest seed remaining in the second round and one would think we would win that game. We then face the 4 seed who has not played and may be a bit cold. There can be an advantage to playing the night before and getting used to the court. But, even if we lose, we at least went 1-1.

In short, even though I like this team and think it is different than past Fran teams, at this point its hard to have faith in a deep tournament run. So, I will hedge my bet and hope to at least grab 1 tourney win against a bad team and then hope for the best from there.

Couple notes. There is no reseeding after the first day so we don’t necessarily play the lowest seed remaining.

We will see how tonight’s games go with Maryland and Wisconsin with big home games. I don’t think our chances at the 4 seed are that realistic at this point considering we play at Wisconsin on Happ’s senior night. Assuming we lose that one that puts us 2+ games behind them, meaning we would need to win out and they would need to drop 3 other games. Unlikely.

With that in mind both the 5 or 6 seed would work for me. Play an “easier” game Thursday hopefully get some momentum. Personally I’d love to play Purdue again. I don’t think they are that good of a team.

I see your point. But with the way the B1G is this year, there are no sure wins for anybody. So for me I'd prefer the double-bye.

The teams playing Wed (PSU, Nebraska, NW, & Indiana) could easily win games Thursday as well and then so on. There could be a lot of seed upsets in that tournament. Nebraska may be falling off a cliff and looks like the weakest of those 4 at this point.

But we all know to well what NW can do on the road. Illinois and Indiana both own wins against MSU. PSU has lost a lot of close games. Rutgers could also finish in the 11-14 range and play Wed but they have shown to have some talent as well.

I see your point. But with the way the B1G is this year, there are no sure wins for anybody. So for me I'd prefer the double-bye.

The teams playing Wed (PSU, Nebraska, NW, & Indiana) could easily win games Thursday as well and then so on. There could be a lot of seed upsets in that tournament. Nebraska may be falling off a cliff and looks like the weakest of those 4 at this point.

But we all know to well what NW can do on the road. Illinois and Indiana both own wins against MSU. PSU has lost a lot of close games. Rutgers could also finish in the 11-14 range and play Wed but they have shown to have some talent as well.
Unless we beat UW at the Kohl Center on Happ’s senior night our chances at a top 4 seed are less than 15%.

So the discussion should really be would we rather have the 5 or 6 seed. The answer to that question won’t be known until we see how a lot of stuff shakes out and who would potentially play before us and who we’d play if we win.

Unless we beat UW at the Kohl Center on Happ’s senior night our chances at a top 4 seed are less than 15%.

So the discussion should really be would we rather have the 5 or 6 seed. The answer to that question won’t be known until we see how a lot of stuff shakes out and who would potentially play before us and who we’d play if we win.

Yep. Assuming they lose to MSU tonight, Iowa could only lose 1 more time and has to beat them at the Kohl Center to have a shot at the 4 seed. Even if that happens, Iowa would need help from Northwestern, Indiana, or Ohio State beating them on their home floors.

Just my take, but as a fan, player, or coach the desired outcome should always be about winning a tournament. Sure it may be unrealistic, but there can also be satisfaction along the way as well as joy in advancement along the way or disappointment when a team comes up short or bows out early. That said personally I would rather see Iowa get a double bye because it puts them essentially 2 days closer to winning the conference championship. If Iowa's already played their way into the NCAA tournament by them (which they should) then I don't care about potential matchups and would rather be the fresher of the two teams. No ones ever lost a bye and the only thing that matters to me is to continue to advance.

Tournament is for money, meaningless for team success, other than if you make a run and are in the NCAA you are exhausted.

Yep. Assuming they lose to MSU tonight, Iowa could only lose 1 more time and has to beat them at the Kohl Center to have a shot at the 4 seed. Even if that happens, Iowa would need help from Northwestern, Indiana, or Ohio State beating them on their home floors.
So many what ifs in there, not to mention UW is actually favored in that game tonight.

I sort of want the 6 seed because it will be a game I can watch after work.

Just my take, but as a fan, player, or coach the desired outcome should always be about winning a tournament. Sure it may be unrealistic, but there can also be satisfaction along the way as well as joy in advancement along the way or disappointment when a team comes up short or bows out early. That said personally I would rather see Iowa get a double bye because it puts them essentially 2 days closer to winning the conference championship. If Iowa's already played their way into the NCAA tournament by them (which they should) then I don't care about potential matchups and would rather be the fresher of the two teams. No ones ever lost a bye and the only thing that matters to me is to continue to advance.
I’m fine with wanting the 4 seed, but if you look at the scenarios it’s just not very realistic.

I'd much rather have a 4 seed than a 5 seed.

IMO its been proven time and time again that the BTT won't positively help your seeding for the dance. It seems like the committee already has the bracket filled out and teams locked in no matter what by Friday (with the exception of a Cinderella AQ). So your best option is to avoid the bad loss if possible

If you are "in" the tournament, burning out with those extra games doesn't make much sense.
You can actually hang banners from winning a conference tournament and is a pretty good accomplishment. Many Hawkeye fans remember the Alford team that made a run and won one.

I’m guessing there are actually some fans out there that would rather win the BTT tournament than make it to the sweet 16 and get walloped.

No, even if Iowa does go one and done getting a 4 seed in the conference is way better than having to play a 12/13 seed as a 5 seed. Iowa's chances of getting to the BTT semi finals is way better as a 4 seed playing with fresh legs.

It seems like Iowa has lost a 2nd round game recently as a 5 seed, those games are no gimmees. I can't imagine getting stuck playing an Indiana or a Northwestern and have them go off on a huge shooting night to knock off Iowa.

Kind of like Wisconsin in 2015 winning the BTT and going to the National Championship game?
That 2015 BTT championship game between Bucky and Sparty remains one of the greatest college basketball games I have ever seen, in terms of both teams holding nothing back and leaving it all out there.