Iowa's Starting QB in the C-ship game.....Does it Really Matter?

I believe some here said we had nearly zero chance to beat Nebraska recently. Good thing the players don't have this in their heads, they planning to win and some way somehow, they just might gitrdun. I think the O-line will surprise us Saturday night.

What people need to be talking more about with this game than any quarterback, is how they're going to deal with Hutchinson.

This DL is orders of magnitude better than anything we've faced this year or last, and we've struggled mightily so far.

What people need to be talking more about with this game than any quarterback, is how they're going to deal with Hutchinson.

This DL is orders of magnitude better than anything we've faced this year or last, and we've struggled mightily so far.
Do they move him around the line or put him on same side? If he's on the same side most of the time at least we can game plan our TEs and RBs to chip him some. Surely the hell BF won't leave our tackles on an island against him most of the time....

Neither have set the world on fire. I lean Padilla but now in this situation, Kirk can have a short leash and feel confident he has a back up that can handle the situation. If Petras is playing well you keep him in, if he's not, you pull him. My worry is they stick with the wrong guy too long either way, which is totally something this staff is capable of.

Mr. Mobility loses .7 yards less than Mr. Statue per rushing attempt. Slightly over 2 ft.

LOSES. He is still negative per attempt.

I am sorry, but that really isn't much. It just isn't.

Yes, he takes less sacks per game.
But look who he played the majority of his minutes against.
He played about 1/5 the amount of time against Wisky and took 1/5 the amount of sacks Spencer did.
He played the same amount of time against Nebby and took 2 sacks the Petras's 0.

I think Alex's mobility has been overblown by our fans.

Like I said, I lean Padilla - but having a guy with as much game experience as Spencer has, and won as many games as Spencer has.... is a nice luxury to have. Start him, keep the leash short.

I've spent the last year yelling about or getting yelled at about who should be the QB. I've reached the breaking point on this. It's a coin flip and let the coaches make the call, I'm just watching the game. I hope it's a good game and Iowa doesn't look like crap on Nat.TV. They are not going to get any calls so I think it's a moot point anyway. Anyone thinks the Big doesn't want Michigan in the play-offs and will do what is necessary towards that end hasn't been watching football the last 10 years.

Do they move him around the line or put him on same side? If he's on the same side most of the time at least we can game plan our TEs and RBs to chip him some. Surely the hell BF won't leave our tackles on an island against him most of the time....
He's all over the place. Ohio Sate and Michigan State he lined up on the rights side, Minnesota and Illinois he played left side. Also lines up at DT a lot and some of the highlights I've watched Michigan plays a 3 man front and he lines up at NT. I wouldn't think you'd see much of that vs Linderbaum but who knows?

All I do know is that this guy gets in the backfield QUICK, and given our running game history against much shittier DL's, we are in for some major problems. Whoever our QB ends up being, we need to be in the shotgun 95% of the time and ready to scramble.

IMHO, this game is not about the QBs the is more about scheme, When I watched the MU vs OSU game the announcers kept saying where MU struggles is on the screen and wheel routs .. and sure enough on the last TD for OSU the RB was in the mid flat on a delayed screen ..TD...I think a good dose of inside zone ..NOT OUTSIDE... read with play action pass
would be great. MU will come out super aggressive and load the box to stop the run, they
remind me of a bit faster Mississippi State team...that game plan, I think would work well..
1 st play I would double team 97 run play action right at him, pull the guard fake to our full back and the short wheel rout to Goodson should be wide open.
2nd play same action TE should be open right down the seam as the lbs over pursue...
but what do I know?.....we can win!!

Mr. Mobility loses .7 yards less than Mr. Statue per rushing attempt. Slightly over 2 ft.

He played about 1/5 the amount of time against Wisky and took 1/5 the amount of sacks Spencer did.
He played the same amount of time against Nebby and took 2 sacks the Petras's 0.

2 and a half games is too small a sample size. If you can't see that Padilla is the more mobile guy in the pocket then you haven't watched Hawkeye football.

Reactions: haw
2 and a half games is too small a sample size. If you can't see that Padilla is the more mobile guy in the pocket then you haven't watched Hawkeye football.
Call it 3.33 - he played a ton against NWestern.

Yes, he moves around better, no doubt.
But having watched the games, I don't believe it has actually provided much of a benefit.
Sure he can bootleg almost to the sideline and throw an incomplete pass.
Or he could have tucked it and run and picked up 3-4 yards. But he didn't and he almost never does. Where is the benefit?

Also, look at the level of the competition he played against.
You don't think he would have taken sacks against PSU, Purdue, and Wisky?

He's all over the place. Ohio Sate and Michigan State he lined up on the rights side, Minnesota and Illinois he played left side. Also lines up at DT a lot and some of the highlights I've watched Michigan plays a 3 man front and he lines up at NT. I wouldn't think you'd see much of that vs Linderbaum but who knows?

All I do know is that this guy gets in the backfield QUICK, and given our running game history against much shittier DL's, we are in for some major problems. Whoever our QB ends up being, we need to be in the shotgun 95% of the time and ready to scramble.
Well shit. That's good for them and bad for us... It's just tough to call plays and trying to account for a guy like that all the time...

Well shit. That's good for them and bad for us... It's just tough to call plays and trying to account for a guy like that all the time...
Actually, we might be better off if he spends half the game at DT as opposed to.the entire game at DE.

We are stronger on the interior of our line.

I would start the game with Petras, only because he has a better feel for the playbook and a better arm when he has a good pocket. When (not IF) that DLine starts teeing off on him, then it would be a good time to switch to Padilla. Our offensive line has looked better but not faced anything close to a defensive end like Hutchinson.

I'm not going to get heartbroken if we lose. There's literally nothing you can do against those teams except fluke a win out here and there because of their massive recruiting advantage. Tyler Linderbaum and maaaaaaaaybe Jack Campbell would be the only two guys on our squad to start at Michigan and no one else would likely even make their 2 deep. It's not a fair fight, but it is what it is. What else can you do against a team with 7 five stars on their roster and all the other starters are 4 stars?

It's pretty amazing just to be where we are.
That's just it. The odds are stacked against Iowa. Play like there's nothing to lose, just like "The Replacements."

The #s for Petras are skewed because they include all the QB sneaks where Petras probably averages 5 yds/carry!

The #s for Petras are skewed because they include all the QB sneaks where Petras probably averages 5 yds/carry!
Read the post again. They both have negative yards. It is just that the difference is not what people think.

Also, Spencer is good at sneaks. Alex, not so much.

Last edited:

Latest posts