Iowa's Starting QB in the C-ship game.....Does it Really Matter?

MelroseHawkins

They are both so similar. One or the other may have an attribute or two the other may not have, but in the end, the style Iowa plays does it really matter? Would the betting line needle even move with one starting over the other. I'm not sure it would actually. I think as far as production and outcome goes, they'd be about the same.

Does Michigan even give a rip who they see, probably not. I don't think they'd change their defensive philosophy or game plan one bit, with who starts. I think they'd prepare the same for both. Iowa still believes in the pocket passer and runs the same plays, regardless who is in running the ship. Some have wondered if Iowa would play two QB's which is really kind of silly as there really is not a contrast of the two players. It isn't like Iowa is going to have a trick up their sleeves by putting in the other QB. Michigan will scheme the same for both.

Iowa may play both, but it wouldn't be to cross Michigan up changing, it would be to go with the hot player or the more effective player. I suspect it will be announced who is starting and will see how effective that player plays.

Anyway, a shout out to how the coaches handled the QB situation and having the balls to change. A huge shout out to Petras and Padilla and how they handled the QB changes which can be a roller coaster mentally. They both handled it great and with class. It's evident they are friends and support each other which is great. Iowa is lucky to have two good solid QB's to compliment this team. That is Iowa's style and both of them are solid college QB's. I'll take that.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Petras will start, but I wouldn't go that route. Michigan will be by far the most athletic defense we've faced, and their D-Line will eat our O-Line for breakfast. Michigan will be in the backfield early and often, and we need to go wqith a QB who can scramble and who gets rid of the ball when needed.

It only matters in the sense of if whomever starts ends up struggling and they stick with him all game and Iowa loses.... I mean I just hope that if it's Petras then we better have our quick screen game dialed up because he won't be able to many 5 step drops and probably next to no 7 steps. Not to mention we'll need to run the ball but that'll be a big ask too... All is not doom and gloom though I think we'll put up a fight

Pretty sure Petras will start, but I wouldn't go that route. Michigan will be by far the most athletic defense we've faced, and their D-Line will eat our O-Line for breakfast. Michigan will be in the backfield early and often, and we need to go wqith a QB who can scramble and who gets rid of the ball when needed.

The question is if it would be too big of a stage for Padilla at this point. That is the concern and goes back to both offer different attributes. One of those is experience with Petras in a variety of games. Padilla struggled at Nebby which was his highest profile game at this point.

Interesting dilemma. Your point about Michigan's pass rush and have to have a QB that can scramble a little better is a very valid point. Yea, I'm kind of leaning that way as well. See if Padilla is grounded and effective, if not, then could change to Petras.

Both have had their certain moments and both have shown to struggle as well.

I'm not going to get heartbroken if we lose. There's literally nothing you can do against those teams except fluke a win out here and there because of their massive recruiting advantage. Tyler Linderbaum and maaaaaaaaybe Jack Campbell would be the only two guys on our squad to start at Michigan and no one else would likely even make their 2 deep. It's not a fair fight, but it is what it is. What else can you do against a team with 7 five stars on their roster and all the other starters are 4 stars?

It's pretty amazing just to be where we are.

I'm not going to get heartbroken if we lose. There's literally nothing you can do against those teams except fluke a win out here and there because of their massive recruiting advantage. Tyler Linderbaum and maaaaaaaaybe Jack Campbell would be the only two guys on our squad to start at Michigan and no one else would likely even make their 2 deep. It's not a fair fight, but it is what it is. What else can you do against a team with 7 five stars on their roster and all the other starters are 4 stars?

We had to hold off OSU from Jacobs they offered him kinda late and he visited but he stuck with us. He coulda went anywhere. But he's just 1 more guy I struggle to think of another.

I recall we beat an Ohio St. team in Kinnick a couple years ago with those players. When I think about it, I still don't know how it happen or what the hell caused it to happen, but I liked the outcome.

I remember thinking BF and KF went into that game with a "F it, what do we have to loose" attitude and called the game loose letting Stanley fling it. They all had fun and Iowa kicked Ohio St's azz.

Hopefully, they go into this game with that "F it, what do we have to lose" attitude!

Only Linderbaum and Campbell? Ha. Ha. Ha.

Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, and Nebraska.

Those are the teams that Alex had extended playtime against this year.
Two of those teams had a pulse against us: Minny and Nebby.
One he eked out a 5 point win against and the other he got benched at half.

I don't know if people really take that into account when they compare Spencer and Alex.

That and, sure Alex moves around better but has he really gained any yards from it?

Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois, and Nebraska.

Those are the teams that Alex had extended playtime against this year.
Two of those teams had a pulse against us: Minny and Nebby.
One he eked out a 5 point win against and the other he got benched at half.

I don't know if people really take that into account when they compare Spencer and Alex.

That and, sure Alex moves around better but has he really gained any yards from it?
There were several instances where he avoided sacks on his feet, and more important than his scrambling, he threw the ball away when he needed to instead of trying to make something out of nothing and giving up big yardage.

I think that's the most important part of the QB dilemma. Padilla gets rid of the ball in the right situations

There were several instances where he avoided sacks on his feet, and more important than his scrambling, he threw the ball away when he needed to instead of trying to make something out of nothing and giving up big yardage.

I think that's the most important part of the QB dilemma. Padilla gets rid of the ball in the right situations
Two things here:

1. Padilla did not face the same level of pass rushers Spencer had. Flat out different leagues.
2. I remeber the interweb folks getting all up in arms during the first 4 games with the amount of times Petras did throw the ball away.

Bonus point:
2 sacks vs 0 sacks in the Nebby game.

SP can throw a very accurate deep ball. You saw him throw deep to #6 at least twice when he was one on one. And Nebby defended it very well without drawing PI.

I expect Iowa to do the same thing on Saturday night. Challenge the one on one and maybe draw PI.

After all you can't just run inside zones and short patterns all night. Ya gotta go deep sometimes.

You are correct. That is one of the biggest issues with Petras. He took sacks instead of getting rid of the ball. Padilla also is more decisive with his passes, at least early on.

Against Wisky, before the game I was talking with a guy and stating how I hoped Iowa would go out and make quick reads and passes to offset Wisky's rush. This because Petras doesn't do well going back in the pocket with getting the ball out or throwing away. It turns out that game plan was never in Petras's wheelhouse as he's also not quick to make a decision and/or is decisive with his passes. That was just not in his game but I think could have worked against Wisky.

This is where Padilla is a little different, does a bit better with quick reads. He just lacked big game experience, such as against Nebby. Again, both have attributes as well as deficiencies.

No difference between the two QBs? Seriously? One is effective rolling out, can pass OR run, AND can throw accurately on the run. The other struggles to roll out, cannot outrun any DE that doesn't bite on the fake, has completed exactly one pass in two years when flushed out of the pocket and most of those times has been incapable of looking for receivers down the field and just automatically throws the ball away before he needs to.
There really wasn't much difference between the QBs performance at Nebraska: if the TD hadn't been overturned, and if there wasn't a penalty for 5 guys in the backfield (which there wasn't) on the completed pass to LaPorta deep in NB territory in the 1st half, Padilla's #s would have been 8-14, 90 yds, 1TD. Petras' 2nd half #s were 7-14, 105 yds, 0 TD.
My goodness, if you EVER need a mobile QB it's this Sat vs Michigan!

No difference between the two QBs? Seriously? One is effective rolling out, can pass OR run, AND can throw accurately on the run. The other struggles to roll out, cannot outrun any DE that doesn't bite on the fake, has completed exactly one pass in two years when flushed out of the pocket and most of those times has been incapable of looking for receivers down the field and just automatically throws the ball away before he needs to.
Padilla hasn't been accurate in the pocket or on the run.

They are both so similar. One or the other may have an attribute or two the other may not have, but in the end, the style Iowa plays does it really matter?
That statement is about right. Petras can throw on the run better to the right than the left.

I have just watched the replay of the Nebby game and both qbs had some really good throws and some easy misses and a couple of really very off throws. To me overall Petras seemed to have a better presence on the field and moving the team. But remember he came in behind 14-6, the hawks drove it nice but fumbled by the Nebby goal line, Nebby went on to score so Petras had nothing much to lose being down 21-6.

But Petras played well. Meanwhile, padilla was down 7-0 when he first got on the field and he led the team well on the first drive. But WOW that 4th down pass to laporta in the endzone was very poorly thrown.

Petras will probably start but to me Petras starts very slow in the 1st qtr while Padilla seems to play well early on in all 4 of his games. If Padilla is healthy and has a really good week I would start him but be ready to put Petras in.

That statement is about right. Petras can throw on the run better to the right than the left.

I have just watched the replay of the Nebby game and both qbs had some really good throws and some easy misses and a couple of really very off throws. To me overall Petras seemed to have a better presence on the field and moving the team. But remember he came in behind 14-6, the hawks drove it nice but fumbled by the Nebby goal line, Nebby went on to score so Petras had nothing much to lose being down 21-6.

But Petras played well. Meanwhile, padilla was down 7-0 when he first got on the field and he led the team well on the first drive. But WOW that 4th down pass to laporta in the endzone was very poorly thrown.

Petras will probably start but to me Petras starts very slow in the 1st qtr while Padilla seems to play well early on in all 4 of his games. If Padilla is healthy and has a really good week I would start him but be ready to put Petras in.
I could live with Padilla starting and having a short leash, but starting Petras -- combined with Parker's stubbornness to not make any defensive adjustments until halftime -- seems like a recipe to have this game get out of hand early and unnecessarily.

If Nebraska (lost 32-29), Penn St (lost 21-17) can hang in there with Michigan, no reason we can't.

I think you go with Petras for experience and if he struggles, go with Padilla.

There really wasn't much difference between the QBs performance at Nebraska: if the TD hadn't been overturned, and if there wasn't a penalty for 5 guys in the backfield (which there wasn't) on the completed pass to LaPorta deep in NB territory in the 1st half, Padilla's #s would have been 8-14, 90 yds, 1TD. Petras' 2nd half #s were 7-14, 105 yds, 0 TD.

Yes they are two different QB's,. my point is that the betting line prob wouldn't change much with one starting over the other because the production (points) would prob be pretty similar in the end. This due to Iowa's style and how they molded them.

No argument on the numbers. The mobility matters for sure. The thing that WE DON'T SEE is the pre-snap experience...sizing up the defense and getting into the right play ... or getting out of the wrong play.

I wonder if SP starts and does all that he does well, and then AP comes in with the benefit of SP's observations and uses his strengths to deliver the win.

Latest posts