Iowa's Pomeroy Rating is 83, best rating since 06-07

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Coach McCaffery's first season with Iowa and the Hawkeye's Pomeroy is 83. That's better than any year under Lickliter.

Coach McCaffery's first season with Iowa and the Hawkeye's Pomeroy is 83. That's better than any year under Lickliter.

Todd Lickliter may go down as one of the worst BCS coaches of all time. Although, Barry Collier and Lick may have to fight that one out.

We also had 3 wins over Pomeroy top 50 teams (Purdue, Michigan St., Alabama). I wonder how long it's been since that happened?

We also had 3 wins over Pomeroy top 50 teams (Purdue, Michigan St., Alabama). I wonder how long it's been since that happened?

# of wins over Top 50 Pomeroy teams:

10-11: 3
09-10: 0
08-09: 2
07-08: 2
06-07: 4
05-06: 11
04-05: 7
03-04: 2
02-03: 3

# of wins over Top 50 Pomeroy teams:

10-11: 3
09-10: 0
08-09: 2
07-08: 2
06-07: 4
05-06: 11
04-05: 7
03-04: 2
02-03: 3

Thanks, Spank. I was just looking at the teams we beat last year. Dear God... this year's list of wins wasn't exactly murderer's row, but it beats the heck of these luminaries:

Prairie View A&M, NC Central, SC State, Bowling Green, Drake, Tennessee St., Penn State, Indiana (2x), Northwestern.

Northwestern was the only squad in that group with a pulse. Obvious question: does Tom Crean have the potential to be an even worse coach than Lickliter?

Thanks, Spank. I was just looking at the teams we beat last year. Dear God... this year's list of wins wasn't exactly murderer's row, but it beats the heck of these luminaries:

Prairie View A&M, NC Central, SC State, Bowling Green, Drake, Tennessee St., Penn State, Indiana (2x), Northwestern.

Northwestern was the only squad in that group with a pulse. Obvious question: does Tom Crean have the potential to be an even worse coach than Lickliter?

Nope, check out his next few recruiting classes. He basically inherited a program that was on the death penalty. I don't think he returned any scholarship players his first year there.

I think Crean had better show some real improvement next year. The Indiana fans have been very patient so far, but you can only live on your recruiting prowess for so long and then you have to produce some results.

Never thought anything could make college basketball boring. Now that I've google "Pomeroy ratings" I stand corrected.:eek:

Nope, check out his next few recruiting classes. He basically inherited a program that was on the death penalty. I don't think he returned any scholarship players his first year there.

I know his classes are ranked high, but I'll believe that he's a good coach when I see any sign of it on the court. Name a single guy on that team who was better this year than they were last year.

So this year's team is no better than last years?

Ugh. Maybe like 2% better? They won two more games, but they ended the year losing 9 in a row and 18 out of their last 21. They basically beat up on some cupcakes in the early schedule, got a nice win at home against Illinois, and did nothing else all year.

Just the style and enthusiasm alone is 100% improvement. Not sure where you get 2% from.
I assume you mean beating Purdue, not Illinois. What about thumping MSU by 20? Taking Wisconsin OT? Basabe all-freshman team, Cartwright leading the league in assists? Jarryd Cole improved drastically over last year.
What were your expectations this season?

Just the style and enthusiasm alone is 100% improvement. Not sure where you get 2% from.
I assume you mean beating Purdue, not Illinois. What about thumping MSU by 20? Taking Wisconsin OT? Basabe all-freshman team, Cartwright leading the league in assists? Jarryd Cole improved drastically over last year.
What were your expectations this season?

He was talking about Indiana.

Hulls, Watford, Rivers

Rivers had fewer points, rebounds and assists than he did last year.

Watford put up a ton of points on the cupcakes but was hit-and-miss in the Big Ten.

I'll give you Hulls. He turned into a deadeye shooter and a real weapon for them.

Verdell Jones was worse. Capobianco was worse. Tom Pritchard went from 10 points/game as a frosh to 2.5 as a junior.

I just don't see it. I think Crean is the RichRod of Big Ten basketball.

On the Inidana front, Crean is a coach that inherited a worse situation, much worse situation than Fran did at Iowa. Watford is one of the better players in the Big Ten, but he was hurt and Jones is a player that was hurt and I wish he would have been offered a scholarship to Iowa. Jones held out hoping for an offer from Iowa or Illinois, neither came, he wanted to play in the Big Ten and ended up at Inidana.
Hulls went from a player that did very little as a freshman to looking like a player that is going to haunt Iowa moving forward as Indiana continues to build. Indiana has the same issues as Iowa, their bench is terrible, but remember Maurice Creek was out for a second straight year and he is a quality player.
Indiana will be back, but if Cody Zeller can't walk on water as the fans and analysts seem to think he can, it will be later rather than sooner.
Shehey (sp?) and Olidipo provide athleticism that will be valuable down the road,unless they don't develop as players.
Crean is not overrated, but given the situation that he walked into and going through the injuries, it will seem that way.
If they stay injury free and Zeller provides a threat besides Watford, Indiana will be a scary team next year.

Why is there such a difference between the RPI and Pomeroy ratings?

Dont have an answer but the RPI has been crap since they changed it in 2004. Prior to that only a handful of teams with an RPI of 40 or lower were left out, now it is all over the board.

The basic formula is 25% team winning percentage (WP), 50% opponents' average winning percentage (OWP), and 25% opponents' opponents' average winning percentage (OOWP).

For the 2004-05 season, the formula was changed to give more weight to road wins vs home wins. A team's win total for RPI purposes is 1.4 * road wins + neutral site wins + 0.6 * home wins. A team's losses is calculated as 0.6 * road losses + neutral site losses + 1.4 * home losses.

There have been 15 teams that had an RPI of 40 or better that did not make the tournament since 2004 (7 Years). The prior 7 years (before the change) only had 8 miss the tourney.

The best RPI to miss the tourney? In 2006 (Missouri St. 21)

Worst RPI to make the tournament at-large? Iowa State(62) and NC State(63) in 2005

Highest-ranked eligible teams to miss NCAA Tournament Year-by-Year, Since 1991 (Includes all Eligible teams in top 40 of RPI):

Year Team RPI
1991 Oklahoma 44
1992 Notre Dame 32
1992 Butler 39
1993 Oklahoma 30
1993 Ohio St. 35
1994 Oklahoma 33
1994 Charlotte 35
1994 Georgia Tech 39
1995 Virginia Tech 36
1996 Providence 42
1997 Michigan 40