Iowa's Pomeroy Rating is 83, best rating since 06-07

I also think more needs to be done on determining a neutral site. This year UNC played Texas in Greensboro (neutral), Kansas St. played Duke in Kansas City, ISU played Creighton in Des Moines, Missouri played Georgetown in Kansas City etc etc

Dont have an answer but the RPI has been crap since they changed it in 2004. Prior to that only a handful of teams with an RPI of 40 or lower were left out, now it is all over the board.

2005 St. Joseph’s 37
2005 Wichita St. 38
2006 Missouri St. 21
2006 Hofstra 30
2006 Creighton 39
2006 Cincinnati 40
2007 Air Force 30
2007 Bradley 38
2007 Drexel 39
2008 Dayton 32
2008 Illinois St. 33
2009 San Diego St. 34
2009 Creighton 40
2010 Rhode Island 40

Look at all of these post-2004 teams with good RPI ratings that got left out. See any common threads in terms of conference affiliations?

The problem is not the new formula. The problem is that the NCAA instituted a new formula that the selection committee then refused to pay attention to because they prefer to dole out bids to mediocre teams from their own conferences. Just watch what will happen this year: a fun Harvard team with a 35 RPI won't even be on the bubble and a mediocre USC team with a 69 RPI may well get in. I thought the expansion to 68 was fine, but if it's just used to reward sub-mediocre teams from big conferences I'm really going to be angry.

RPI is not a standard of ranking teams for NCAA selection at all. It's only used to categorize the quality of wins and losses a certain team may have. Like wins vs. teams in the RPI top 50 or top 100. The actual RPI number that you have isn't the criteria for selection, only as basis of comparison. It's abused on the selection shows, however.

Granted, your RPI ranking usually gets better when doing good things but you can get a lofty RPI without beating many good teams.

I like Pomeroy (KenPom) better. I have since Ken put it out there in the early 2000s. It is more stat-based, but uses it's stats BETTER than RPI. It takes the stats that actually matter in basketball. It's hard to argue the Four Factors when it comes to BB. Yes, there are anomalies, and upsets happen. But his predictor is very accurate. And his rankings are based on a system that is very, very good.

KenPom isn't great early in the season, but once you are about 15 games in, it really starts to be accurate. End of season, it's nearly flawless.

RPI is not a standard of ranking teams for NCAA selection at all. It's only used to categorize the quality of wins and losses a certain team may have. Like wins vs. teams in the RPI top 50 or top 100. The actual RPI number that you have isn't the criteria for selection, only as basis of comparison. It's abused on the selection shows, however.

Granted, your RPI ranking usually gets better when doing good things but you can get a lofty RPI without beating many good teams.

Exactly right, Cydkar, but I've just never understood the logic. According to the way the selection committee uses RPI, if a team beats Harvard (like Michigan did), they get credit for beating a top 50 team, and so it helps Michigan get an at-large bid. But then when Harvard's name comes up, all of the sudden they pretend that their RPI doesn't matter. Why does Harvard's RPI matter more when it comes to evaluating Michigan than it does to evaluating Harvard itself? I think they should use it completely or not use it all. The way they do it now wouldn't pass muster in a freshman logic class.

It will be interesting to look at the field when it comes out and compare it to the RPI rankings and to KenPom. My guess is that it won't have much correlation with either. Nothing like letting the AD of the number one-ranked team run the show!

Some ESPN sportscaster said that Fran said that Mel Basabe is/wiil be a 4 - a power foward. IMO, Fran will have to rethink that. Mel's a defensive liability down low. He fouls too much and gets shoved around.

Last edited:
Some ESPN sportscaster said that Fran said that Mel Basabe is/wiil be a 4 - a power foward. IMO, Fran will have to rethink that. Mel's a defensive liability down low. He fouls too much and gets shoved around.

??

Brick, are you just looking at things in the office and saying that you love them?

Worst RPI to make the tournament at-large? Iowa State(62) and NC State(63) in 2005
USC RPI 69
Marquette RPI 64

Whether you believe in Pomeroy or not (I don't understand why anyone wouldn't).

Ceteris paribus, Iowa was better this year than any of the previous years under Lickliter.

Probably should switch him to a 1 or 2 right?:confused: