Iowa's O is MIA - SSDD

Here's what's possible. That everyone who argues about the offensive coordinators is on a fools errand. Kirk gives some freedom to his defensive coordinators (like Hayden) but he micromanages his OCs (obviously Brian gets a longer leash, much longer, fist-thru-the-wall-while threatening-officials-longer).
Here's an example of what I'm taking about. KF's closet brush with a Heisman player was with a dual-threat QB. He's had others since then. None have ever been seriously considered for anything other than a position switch . . . a few QBs have been "mobile" but not dual-threat.
No one will ever forget Kirk's snide comment after CJB disobeyed him and scored late in a game. It cost CJB his chance at being the starter in 2014.
Kirk sets tight parameters around the offense and especially scoring. His end of game and end of first half kneel downs have probably taken 50 TDs/FGs off the board in his 21 seasons. (though the kneel downs are fewer over the last few years, thank God)
When Brian is head coach in 5 years he'll be exactly the same probably. Offensive control freak.
Sad but True!

Here we are again, its 2021 and SSDD or SSDY (year). I do take a bit of comfort in knowing that other programs are struggling on offense this year too. Notre Dame, Clemson, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Iowa State, just to name a few.

this year its the O-line stupid. Its always the O-line. Sure there is always an All American in the bunch but with injuries and inexperience the unit more often than not delivers less than stellar results.

Somehow at Iowa its just harder for guys to come in and play at the level necessary. The QB is quite average but he's head an shoulders above the other players....yet other programs play their #2 QB.

Some say the WRs ARE GETTING OPEN but SP does not see them and checks down. I don't know, I can't tell by watching TV. I was encouraged that they took shots deep.

Here we are again, its 2021 and SSDD or SSDY (year). I do take a bit of comfort in knowing that other programs are struggling on offense this year too. Notre Dame, Clemson, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Iowa State, just to name a few.

this year its the O-line stupid. Its always the O-line. Sure there is always an All American in the bunch but with injuries and inexperience the unit more often than not delivers less than stellar results.

Somehow at Iowa its just harder for guys to come in and play at the level necessary. The QB is quite average but he's head an shoulders above the other players....yet other programs play their #2 QB.

Some say the WRs ARE GETTING OPEN but SP does not see them and checks down. I don't know, I can't tell by watching TV. I was encouraged that they took shots deep.

Just what we needed. A necro thread. Now you're just confusing people.

Its 2022

rick.jpg

Same as it ever was.
Many times in the past 24 hours I have read posts that state that our offensive philosophy is killing the offensive recruiting, and the longevity of this thread, and the transfers out of the program, along with the painful display every weekend, simply bear out the truth. The offense is dead-stick a fork in it. And the only possibility of resurrection is a top down change. What I wouldn't give to see Phil Parker as the head coach. As Fryowa has pointed out multiple times, it is what it is and it isn't going to change.

Long article, and normally the ESecPN talking heads only irritate me on the best of days, but I laughed out loud reading this one.

Latest posts